Im not the biggest fan of Steve Davidson

cheezbat

Saw FoF for the first time the other day...pretty good parade, but I understand what the OP is saying...Davison gets lots of praise, but some of his stuff just feels like he's taken from others...idk.

Bing Bong

You like the Dragon at the very least right?
I'm not saying I don't like it, but the parade feels lacking in a lot of ways. I have issues with Soundsational as well, seeing as half the floats are just the same drum in different skins.
The best daytime parade in my opinion was Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams.

Bing Bong

I think the main thing that Davison did to me off (and to be fair it wasn't entirely his fault) was when they completely scrapped World Of Color's story (and the Alice in Wonderland scene) shortly before premiere.

todd23

I think the main thing that Davison did to **** me off (and to be fair it wasn't entirely his fault) was when they completely scrapped World Of Color's story (and the Alice in Wonderland scene) shortly before premiere.
What was World of Color's story supposed to be? My biggest issue with it is that there is no story!

imagineer boy

What was World of Color's story supposed to be? My biggest issue with it is that there is no story!

Not everything has to have a story, especially parades/ fireworks shows. Sometimes you can just have a kaleidoscope of imagery and characters and that's all you need.

todd23

Not everything has to have a story, especially parades/ fireworks shows. Sometimes you can just have a kaleidoscope of imagery and characters and that's all you need.
Valid point. When I saw it, though, I thought something was lacking. A unifying force to each of the segments seemed to missing. Just my opinion.

Magenta Panther

1. Disney rarely "slashes" budgets and, if they do, it's often because the creative folks got carried away and blew their budgets on other projects, so those overages need to be covered elsewhere. People would be shocked at the millions of dollars that are flushed down the toilet chasing ideas down a rabbit hole.

2. Disney's budgets are usually more than enough to accomplish a specific vision, but the creatives put in charge of these projects are often poor financial managers. Giving New Fantasyland the budget of Potter Phase I should have resulted in a product on par with Potter Phase I, and I think most people agree that it didn't. You can't blame the accountants for that. The funding was there, and it was spent on God knows what.

Whoever created the storyline for the Mermaid dark ride ought to be fired IMO. The sensibilities behind it were appalling - Ariel with the SoftServe hair, the ridiculous ending, the re-use of static plastic turtle figures, too much light in the ride that showed all of the infrastructure...just bad show all around IMO.

Bing Bong

WOC was supposed to flow through different themes and styles. Steve had the show set up so each sequence would flow into the next in a logical order, until Iger came in complained about the show not being modern enough and all of that went out the window.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

Whoever created the storyline for the Mermaid dark ride ought to be fired IMO. The sensibilities behind it were appalling - Ariel with the SoftServe hair, the ridiculous ending, the re-use of static plastic turtle figures, too much light in the ride that showed all of the infrastructure...just bad show all around IMO.

Well it's based on DCA's.

If only we got Tony Baxter's design. -sigh-

imagineer boy

Valid point. When I saw it, though, I thought something was lacking. A unifying force to each of the segments seemed to missing. Just my opinion.

I agree, actually. While visually brilliant I think the whole narrative was self indulgent, basically turns into "Fantasmic with Fountains", and really just feels like a bland "Disney's greatest hits" reel.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
What I will concede to is that WDW hasn't seen Steve's best work, IMO.

California had Remember Dreams Come True, his best firework show to date. Tokyo had Legend of Mythica, the best lagoon show I've ever seen and Paris has Disney Dreams.

I suspect some of this falls on the WDW team.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I agree, actually. While visually brilliant I think the whole narrative was self indulgent, basically turns into "Fantasmic with Fountains", and really just feels like a bland "Disney's greatest hits" reel.

It was hardly his doing that the narrative/ story vanished from World of Color though. His bosses had their say. Hopefully the new show in May is better.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom