Im not the biggest fan of Steve Davidson

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
It seems like the current shows he as been involved with haven't really met the good old Disney Standards. I could be wrong but this is how i'm taking it. Especially after seeing some of the work coming up with Disneylands 60th. First of all he relies to much on screens and projection, his current show music scores are pop music, overkill on the vocals and most of all they lack the classic original Disney show characteristics. Back then the music scores used to be based on great sound produced so well vocals weren't needed and the shows were good just as is with pure creativity. I feel like he's cheating. Its like he took the easy way out. Don Dorcys would can eat his in one bite. All I can say is i'm not a fan.

VJ

He's really only as good as the budget will allow him to be, and you know how Disney likes slashing budgets. He does tend to re-use arrangements and technology and such, but it doesn't end up being too bad to me at least.

CaptainAmerica

He's really only as good as the budget will allow him to be, and you know how Disney likes slashing budgets.
1. Disney rarely "slashes" budgets and, if they do, it's often because the creative folks got carried away and blew their budgets on other projects, so those overages need to be covered elsewhere. People would be shocked at the millions of dollars that are flushed down the toilet chasing ideas down a rabbit hole.

2. Disney's budgets are usually more than enough to accomplish a specific vision, but the creatives put in charge of these projects are often poor financial managers. Giving New Fantasyland the budget of Potter Phase I should have resulted in a product on par with Potter Phase I, and I think most people agree that it didn't. You can't blame the accountants for that. The funding was there, and it was spent on God knows what.

VJ

1. Disney rarely "slashes" budgets and, if they do, it's often because the creative folks got carried away and blew their budgets on other projects, so those overages need to be covered elsewhere. People would be shocked at the millions of dollars that are flushed down the toilet chasing ideas down a rabbit hole.

2. Disney's budgets are usually more than enough to accomplish a specific vision, but the creatives put in charge of these projects are often poor financial managers. Giving New Fantasyland the budget of Potter Phase I should have resulted in a product on par with Potter Phase I, and I think most people agree that it didn't. You can't blame the accountants for that. The funding was there, and it was spent on God knows what.
Thanks for the corrections.

CaptainAmerica

All that being said, sometimes there are budgets that are too small to accomplish a certain vision, as in "no you can't do that because the money isn't there," but it would be rarer for a project with an already approved budget the be cut midway through.

*All of this is capital /project spending, which isn't necessarily the case for operating spending.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
The Legend of Mythica, in my opinion, was his best Disney show. Larger than life, I've never seen a show of that scale at a Disney park before or since. Very hard to top that.

the_legend_of_mythica_spectacle.jpg

Last edited:

copcarguyp71

See the many threads for how SDMT and VOTLM started out then how they ended up. I think saying that Disney rarely slashes budgets is a little bit of an overestimation...IMO. I guess this whole conversation comes down to the whole chicken versus egg debate and which fairy tale you choose to believe (or whose magic cool aid you like to drink);)

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
All I can sat is Don Dorcy's work is much more timeless and lasts for decades before getting changed. Even you know it was ruined just look at the Main Street Electrical Parade for example and i have a feeling Illuminations is going to at least make it to the big 20, and with slight changes maybe even longer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom