I'm going you're not...breaking the news to the kids

slappy magoo

Yeah so I'm taking time away from wrapping up the "World's Greatest Dad" trophy slash cell phone holders my kids made for me last year for Fathers' Day to ask how to break this bad news.
The background - we're not total monsters, haha. I'm married, I have two daughters 8 and 5. They went to WDW in August last year for 10 nights - we actually had to rearrange the whole trip when my best friend died unexpectedly and I was to speak at his memorial which coincided with the middle of our original planned trip. We also went for 6 nights in early-mid December, and it was the first time we ever flew down as a family, always driving beforehand. We never can really go outside of usual holiday times because my wife works in a school, they frown on taking vacation time during the school year when there is so much vacation time built into their schedule. And my wife's conscientious. But she took an entire school year off, it was our only chance to go off season before she retires. Now we're tapped until she goes back, trying to spend as little as possible.

But one of my nieces is going to WDW next month because her high school band is going to perform both in MK and at the Contemporary ballroom as part of what I think is called Fiesta Disney. Her mom, my sister is going and bringing OUR mom, nearing 80. Also one of our older nieces is going with her family. Also our oldest sister is going with HER husband and kids.

We don't really have the money, but as my wife likes to remind me, my mom is getting on, I don't get to spend a lot of time with her, it'd be nice to have some memories...but we don't have the money for the whole family to go. So maybe I should go for at least a few night (or as I put it at the time "I guess I can go down for 5 nights" and she replied "no, you can go down for 2 or 3, don't go crazy").

As it is, my niece is willing to let me bunk with her for a few nights (she's getting a 1BR Beach Club Villa and her kids will sleep with them in the master bedroom so the couch is all mine). I got super cheap airfare (less than $150 rt on jetblue), and since I'm only there for a few nights (with access to a washer and dryer) I think I can get by with as large a carryon as permitted and my backpack as a personal item. We made our passes annual passes after deciding on the December trip so parks are covered. Even if I only stay with my niece one of the nights (it will be her anniversary I want to afford them SOME privacy), I was able to get passholder rates for 2 different one night stays, one at Pop one at ASM, for less than $200 total (and I might cancel one of those nights). So I'm making it as inexpensive as possible.

But the kids don't know yet.

Now I can point out to them that I'm mainly going to see their cousin perform with her band and to spend time with their Grandma. I'm arriving Tuesday late afternoon, leaving Friday after breakfast so it's only 2 days. I'm minimizing sit down meals (a big staple of our trips usually), and there are no character meals. When I'm with Grandma, I can't be sure she'll have the desire or the energy for roller coasters so I don't have fastpasses. It's all casual. And if we were all to go, it'll go from a hopefully less than $500 trip to easily a more than 2 grand trip, because I'd have to get rooms for all of the nights, that many more meals, etc. Plus the trip occurs at the same time my oldest has PARCC testing in her school, so leaving then makes it hard to catch up to those tests plus everything else she'll miss so much closer to the end of school year. It's just not sensible.

But it's still Disney World.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, I won a most-expenses-paid trip to the Academy Awards this year, and spent a day while there at Universal Hollywood. They take lots of trips without me when they're out of school and I can't get off work, but usually to visit their grandparents in their secluded woodsy home. Something about me going off and having fun without them, especially in theme parks, makes me feel like I'm going to Hell, and any money I save not taking them will just go into their eventual therapy bills.

So that's my sad sordid tale. Were you I, how would you break the news to the kids who are as addicted to Disney as their old man is?

JIMINYCR

I'd just lay it out for them like you did for us. Funds are limited, I'm doing this mostly for spending time with your elderly grandma, and being able to see my niece play. I wish we all could go but we can't. But I'll bring you all back something great. Then take the time to find some things they will like getting from their favorite characters, or parks. Along with some great Disney take home snacks.
Realistically, its life and it isn't always fair and facts are, you can't all go if the moneys tight. Have a great time and don't beat yourself up over leaving them behind.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I go solo every year for the food and wine fest. Daddy and the kids stay at home. I do this because I enjoy the seminars and the different food options. Life is not fair, and just because you have kids does not mean that 100% of your life is at their beck and call. My kids are fine with it. They understand that I have my own interests and wants. If it is OK with your wife, then I would not worry about what the kids think.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

First of all, I can't believe your girls are that old already!
But I agree that you should just tell them, and don't feel guilty about it. They get plenty of family time with you, but your mom is deserving of some time too.

Upvote 0

DfromATX

First, I am sorry you lost your best friend. That's truly terrible. On our second trip, when my son was 6, we gave him the option of going to Disney with the rest of us or spending the week with Grandma. He actually picked Grandma! We were like ok. He was 4 on our first trip and kind of pitched a lot of fits so... plus the other 3 kids are a bit older. We had a great time at a fast pace that a 6 year old couldn't do. Yes, I felt extremely guilty, but Grandma said he didn't miss us at all!

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm sitting at the airport right now after a trip like that (without fam). The last two trips before that, we left the kids home too. And similar things happen all the time when I travel for business (Europe, vegas, etc). Just make sure you bring back some gifts and give them the call from the road.

You tell them it's not your family vacation, you point out the ones you do have, and just let them know it's just a quickly to spend time with your mom.

Done... no sweat

Upvote 0

Fox&Hound

Aww the fact that you are so
concerned with this just proves you are a good dad!!!! If your kids are old enough, I would fully explain that this is a trip to spend with your aging mother and I'm sure they will understand. I agree with the poster that very personal gifts and maybe some fun pictures is a great way to show that you've been thinking of them. Hope you have a wonderful trip and that you get to make some wonderful memories!

Upvote 0

Stevek

We just had to do this. I'm in a few days early for a sales meeting, my wife is flying out the last day of the meeting and we're staying for 4 nights. Unfortunately, the kids are still in high school that week and my oldest is a Sr taking her finals so we could not pull them out of school. They are bummed but they've been lucky to go twice already (we live in So Cal). They just got Disneyland AP's so that should appease them : )

Upvote 0

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They're not going to break. Tell them the truth. If they handle it poorly, that's a teachable moment. After all, if your Mom's time with you all is coming to the end that we all face, then if the children can't handle a little disappointing news now, how can then handle something much more severe when it inevitably happens? Time to teach emotional coping skills.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

We went for hubs convention in Orlando and we're honest with our kids ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 3 and 22 months they were fine. We told them that it was our turn after taking them on 15+ Disney trips and that they would have plenty of fun at home with there Grandma's and Grandpa's tag teaming. They griped for about 30'secs and didn't care after that.
Just for fun we would Face Time them in the parks;)

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

We went on an adults only trip about 5 years ago and the DS would have been about 8. As soon as we tell him I will let you know how it goes. We had free flight, they had free dining so all we paid for was room and park tickets. No souvenirs or pics that could trace back to the trip. All in all it was a very cheap trip. I think we told him we went to Miami or something like that.

We are do annual passes for our trip this fall so we are hoping for another adult only trip in the late winter/early spring. We will probably tell him about that one. But we can argue it as he gets to go twice within the 12 month AP window so we are allowed this one little get away.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Slappy Magoo, your story isn't odd! Many people take trips without loved ones, kids and even spouses! My last trip to Disney in May 2013 put me in the same situation with my partner! I wanted to go to Disney and He didn't! What to do? It feels you are stuck between a rock and a hard place! On one hand you love them and want them to go with you, but on the other they chose not to go! But I shouldn't have felt guilty because I wanted to go to Disney!
Since he stayed home and took care of our "kids"(our dogs), I went with a friend. What I did to make him feel part of the trip, without him knowing, I made signs on the computer that simply said, "Sorry we missed you, (insert
name(s)" and copied them. When I saw or met a character, I would have them sign it and take a picture of them holding the sign! This way they can see the picture of the Character holding the Miss You sign and then see that they actually signed it! It just another simple way to have autographs for memories!
Also, as others stated, I would just explain to them that this is time for you and your Mom to spend some quality time together. I think you kids will understand. BUT your wife doesn't get off so easy since you are gone! She should be planning some special activities for memories as well and show you what they did while you were away! This way you all can have a night of sharing with popcorn, ice cream and pizza! If you are able make all your pictures into a movie with windows movie maker, add music etc...it would be fun to share all your memories with one another!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom