I'm a terrible surprise-ruining person :(

Ember

Augh! I feel awful and need to share this with Disney people that will understand the entirety of my awfulness. So for our trip in May we started with a four night stay at CSR and then decided to add a night at AoA so that we could spend our entire last day in the World and not have to leave halfway through the day for our 4-5 hour drive to visit family in Tallahassee. Everything has been smooth sailing until two days ago. I noticed a refund in our bank account from Disney in the amount of our AoA stay and when I asked my husband about it he said oh yeah I cancelled that last night because I feel we should really travel on that day to give us more time with my family. Ummmmm what? I may or may not have completely flipped my lid, called him a Disney grinch, and shed a few tears.
And here is where the really bad part comes in. After we had already booked at CSR I discovered the royal rooms at PORS and I fell in love with them, but didn't think the boys would dig it so I let my dream room go. After my all out two year old temper tantrum my husband tells me to log-on to Disney and enter a reservation number he had tucked away in his wallet. Turns out my husband cancelled AoA and booked the Royal room for our last night in Disney and it was going to be a surprise, but I completely ruined it!!! He was even planning on stealing the bank statement when it came in so I wouldn't see the refund and hiding his cc statement so I couldn't see the new charges. He went through all this trouble and I completely ruined it. Blah!!
But I am super excited and so grateful for my wonderful man!!! Anyone else ever ruined a great Disney surprise?

sweetpee_1993

Awww...you've got a real sweetheart! My hubby is the same way with trying to do surprises but it's virtually impossible to do since I'm the one who takes care of all our finances. I watch everything so closely. He tried to pull of a big surprise, too, by upgrading us to a suite on our cruise we were going on. He did so good...right up until the shoreside concierge called my phone to offer their services. He was so mad but he got over it fast. Even tho I knew we shouldn't have spent that extra $$ I went along with it because it's what he wanted for us and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. We had a fabulous cruise. And I'm sure you'll still have a fabulous trip in your Royal room. Just gush about it and make him your hero. All transgressions shall vanish in time. ;)

Upvote 0

Ember

Original Poster
Thank you! I feel like he could have gone about it in a different way- like letting me continue to think we were going to AoA and then just drive to PORS instead, but he's not so experienced in the surprise department lol. And your poor hubby! That must have sucked to have made it that far to have it ruined at the last minute. A similar thing happened to us last year for our 10 year wedding anniversary. They sent a reminder to my e-mail about reservations he had made. I laughed so hard because I thought it was extremely silly that he was so cautious about the planning and then gave them MY e-mail that I check everyday.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I hear ya. Our travel agent was so careful to remove all my contact info and stress to the DCL rep that they do NOT contact me, etc. Then my number which is normally attached to our Castaway Club numbers still slipped thru the cracks and I got the call. When I answered the phone I was half asleep so I had to ask a few times who it was calling me. I quickly put the pieces together. I texted my hubby: Tell me you didn't upgrade us?! He was so mad. I had to calm him down. We definitely look back and laugh now. At the time I felt so bad. I should've shut up and played along so he could have his surprise moment. Lessons learned. ;)

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

It wasn't tied to WDW but I did something similar about 14 - 15 years ago when I was getting ready graduate from Alfred University and I really wanted my mom to be at grad. She lives in FL and I just wouldn't stop running my mouth about it and yapping at poor DH. He finally lost his temper and handed me the cash he was saving for her plane ticket. He was going to try to surprise me and drag us off to the airport one day before grad to pick her up without my knowing it. Oh boy, I really felt like a heel on that. Since then I have learned that when he first tries to skirt the issue and then flat out refuses for no logical reason -- yeah, he's usually up to something good.

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

I got my wife a Dooney bag as an anniversary gift last year and she saw me hiding it in the room at SSR where we were staying. I asked her to forget about it until the next day, our actual anniversary date. She said OK, but later that evening I heard a big whoop coming from the bedroom, and thinking something was wrong I ran in there and there she was, caught with what she promised not to open until the next day.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Oh... and this summer where going on a cruise..... :)
;) Love that idea... here let's help her out..:)

New Itineraries and Ports for 2013

Get ready to set sail from new ports to dazzling new destinations in 2013! Choose from a variety of cruise itineraries that include spectacular ports of call—and look forward to magical cruise experiences around the world.
In 2013, Disney Cruise Line is offering cruises departing from such ports asMiami, Florida; Vancouver, Canada; Barcelona, Spain; Galveston, Texas and more, so you have more departure ports to choose!
Plus, delight in fantastic new destinations. From popular ports of call—like the Bahamas and the Caribbean—to more remote locales—like Italy, Spain and Greece—Disney is cruising to more of your favorite vacation destinations than ever before. For a truly unique cruise experience, be sure to explore transatlantic and Panama Canal cruises.

Upvote 0

D23Nurse

I had something very similar happen to me.. I was going to surprise my then GF with a trip to UO to go to WWOHP. No kids, just us. I was very stealthy and totally had her chasing false leads that I left her to find. However, the one mistake that I made, was to give her a copy of the menu from Room Service at the Hard Rock Hotel. I went through and changed names, etc of the menu items that would have given it away.

The very top of the menu it says "Room Service Breakfast Menu", so she got the bright idea of putting that phrase into Google. And lo and behold, Universal Orlando Hard Rock Hotel comes up as choice number 1.

Apparently she did quite a little dance in the living room when she found out. But, she did not let me know that you she knew where we were going until we had been there for a day or so...

Upvote 0

Ember

Original Poster
Turn the tables on him... Gee honey, I know I ruined your surprise ... so to make it up to you I .... booked you on a Disney tour, made an ADR at your favorite restaurant, got you this gift card, etc.
So can't afford a cruise after this trip lol. But we have been talking about Hawaii as our next big trip....so I booked us a secret reservation (for two) at Spirit of Aloha!!! I am going to utilize the babysitting service at the resort so it will just be the two of us! Hopefully I can keep it a secret, but if he finds out then I guess that's karma. I'm going to tell him we are going to check out the Poly so maybe we can stay there for our next trip and see what kind of quick service food they have. Mwahahahahahaha.

Upvote 0

popcenturylover

Augh! I feel awful and need to share this with Disney people that will understand the entirety of my awfulness. So for our trip in May we started with a four night stay at CSR and then decided to add a night at AoA so that we could spend our entire last day in the World and not have to leave halfway through the day for our 4-5 hour drive to visit family in Tallahassee. Everything has been smooth sailing until two days ago. I noticed a refund in our bank account from Disney in the amount of our AoA stay and when I asked my husband about it he said oh yeah I cancelled that last night because I feel we should really travel on that day to give us more time with my family. Ummmmm what? I may or may not have completely flipped my lid, called him a Disney grinch, and shed a few tears.
And here is where the really bad part comes in. After we had already booked at CSR I discovered the royal rooms at PORS and I fell in love with them, but didn't think the boys would dig it so I let my dream room go. After my all out two year old temper tantrum my husband tells me to log-on to Disney and enter a reservation number he had tucked away in his wallet. Turns out my husband cancelled AoA and booked the Royal room for our last night in Disney and it was going to be a surprise, but I completely ruined it!!! He was even planning on stealing the bank statement when it came in so I wouldn't see the refund and hiding his cc statement so I couldn't see the new charges. He went through all this trouble and I completely ruined it. Blah!!
But I am super excited and so grateful for my wonderful man!!! Anyone else ever ruined a great Disney surprise?
Yeah, this kinda happened to us before our last trip this past September. We had 5 nights booked at AOA. I saw a credit card statement with more Disney charges on it & asked my husband about it. He said you weren't supposed to see that! Here he had added two extra nights. He tried to add them at AOA but, they were overbooked so, he added them at POP! I totally ruined the suprise but, was soooo excited to have two extra days at my HAPPY place!

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Don't beat yourself up over it - in this day and age of credit card fraud and the like, he should be happy you pay such close attention to the details of your trip to be sure nothing goes wrong!

Upvote 0

annawilliams

haha! I've ruined a surprise for myself. When the hubby bought my ring to propose he accidentally had purchased it through an account that had my email attached to it. Long story short- the confirmation email came to me. LOL. He still doesn't know!

It sounds like you've got a good guy. :) You are going to have a blast!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom