Illuminations torch no pyro

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Right, but HEA is clearly a superior show *now*. RoE, as you said, is older and is based on older tech. It just can't compete with a brand new show like HEA.
Oh, it holds its own. And exceeds HEA in many areas.

RoE is still a technical marvel. If it were updated using today's tech it'd be stunning. Bit by bit it's had updates on and off stage but I dare say it'll be radically altered or retired before it reaches the level of tech of today.

EvilChameleon

Problem is the barges that really need upgrading, the fountain barges, can't be easily removed from the show without just outright cancelling it for the refurbishment time.

Kamikaze

RoE is still a technical marvel. If it were updated using today's tech it'd be stunning. Bit by bit it's had updates on and off stage but I dare say it'll be radically altered or retired before it reaches the level of tech of today.

Don't get me wrong, I love RoE. But as a technology and as a spectacle, HEA is the superior show. I would definitely say RoE is a more meaningful experience.

disney1023

Don't get me wrong, I love RoE. But as a technology and as a spectacle, HEA is the superior show. I would definitely say RoE is a more meaningful experience.
Can I be the first to say that Rivers of Light is basically the same show, just without fireworks? Rivers of Light I feel surpasses Illuminations, and it has less than it. That is an example of what should be done with Illuminations to make it modern.

Kamikaze

Can I be the first to say that Rivers of Light is basically the same show, just without fireworks? Rivers of Light I feel surpasses Illuminations, and it has less than it. That is an example of what should be done with Illuminations to make it modern.

I'm a big animal person, but I think RoL is a borefest. Watched it once, don't care to do it again. It would certainly be the last of the four shows at WDW I would choose to see.

EvilChameleon

Problem with Rivers Of Light is it's more Cirque De Soleil than Disney Family Entertainment. I don't see it having a long life at Animal Kingdom, and will likely be replaced with a World Of Color East.

Father Robinson

Original Poster
Just came back to my room at the beach club after watching ROE from WS Plaza (yes, with a fast pass). Let me say for the record..after seeing HEA last night for the second time, ROE not only holds it's own, it also surpasses still in some areas. Still amazing!

Cesar R M

Didnt they "somewhat" recently replaced RoE lasers? didnt they also had updated the earth orb leds too?

HMF

When it happens I expect (educated guess) to see certain parts radically altered but remaining, and other sections replaced.
So wait the new show will have sections from ROE in it and be the same premise? I am all for writing a new song to replace We Go On but as long as the basic score remains the same I think I like this.

HMF

Thank god.

And ROE wasn't made for "the 2000 celebration only"
Thank you Martin, I wish more people understood that. The only thing in the entire show that dates it is Don Dorseys "Thousand Circles round the sun" lyric. If it were only designed for the Millennium Celebration , why is it still here 18 years later? They really have a timeless masterpiece in RoE and I do hope they realize that. The show isn't broken, Don't fix it. The rest of the park is in shambles however.

Last edited:

disney1023

If it were only designed for the Millennium Celebration , why is it still here 18 years later?
same reason they kept the time line in innovations, and/or the wand for, like, 7 years. (Or Journey into Imagination with Figment ;))

Last edited:

HMF

same reason they kept the time line in innovations, and/or the wand for, like, 7 years. (Or Journey into Imagination with Figment ;))
Both the wand and to a lesser extent JIIwF were designed to be temporary. Reflections of Earth was not. also the timeline has been updated numerous times since it was installed.. Frankly, I think the gallery should still be there. seeing as how that room is not being used for anything guest accessible.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I think they should bring the original illuminations back with its origional score remade. Since the show doesn't start with pyro they can have a drone sequence instead of the water images before they introduce the countries. When they do introduce the countries they can introduce when with mapping projections. Once the projection sequence is over for that pavilion light it up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom