Trip Report I'll stop the World and Melt with you.

_DSC4851-X3.jpg

It's been two years since my family and I visited WDW. Two long years. Thankfully, my son Sterg and I got a three day Disney fix last summer at Disneyland.

Curiously, this trip report is being written at a time when a lot of negative Disney vibe is emanating from other regions of WDWMagic - as it was two years ago. The Doom & Gloom is running free and wild. I'm just thankful I stayed clear of most of it before our trip because I may have cancelled what turned out to be an amazing time. It is also fortunate that we got this trip in because from the sound of things there may not be a WDW to go to in a few years.

To be truthful, some things that Disney has done has me scratching my head; but this is neither the time nor place to discuss it. Putting that aside - let's get on with the trip report!

We left on Sunday July 21st. Maybe the longest day of my life. The night before, my oldest daughter Alex went to see Taylor Swift in Philadelphia ( about 50 miles away ) and due to a long rain delay she didn't make it home until 2 am. This meant that she would not go to sleep since we were being picked up at 3 am for the drive to Philly airport for our 6 am flight. At least we were supposed to be picked up at 3am.

Here is my Mom ( Yia-Yia )and my youngest daughter Antonia ( Toni ) up and ready at 3 in the morning waiting for our ride. Yia-Yia ( grandmother in Greek ) is 77 years old and joining us for the first time on a Disney adventure. Toni is now almost 12 and the little Yorki-poo in the front is Prince. Prince is short for Prince Charming ( named by Toni ).

_DSC4415%20-%20Copy-X3.jpg

When the driver didn't show up by 3:15 I started to worry. I called the limo company at the same time he called me to tell me he was lost. I reeled him in and we were on our way by 3:30. The drive down was nerve wracking as I kept watching the clock and praying for no delays. That is until our driver eased my tension by telling us his son works for Disney and he goes down to the World 4 or 5 times a year. The resulting Disney conversation lasted until we hit the airport around 4:30.

More tension as we went through security. My carry on was stopped in the machine and I was pulled aside. I had put a container of Vitamin C powder in my bag that garnered some attention. Of course, my Mom came over as I was being held and my bag inspected.

"Why didn't you put that in your suitcase, Christo?" she said to me in her Greek accented voice.

"Mom, please go wait over there" I responded.

"No, I want to see what they are doing" Then she followed with this one for the TSA officer.

"It's not drugs, my son doesn't do cocaine!"

OK, I thought. I'm definitely going to be held in some prison cell for the next week.

After the chemical test proved my Mother correct, I was allowed to go on my way. We had time to grab coffee and some food and make it on the Southwest plane to Orlando. A plane full of smiling happy faces! Including these;

This is my wife Val ( not the biggest of Disney fans ), with Yia-Yia in the middle and Alex by the window.

_DSC4425-X2.jpg

On the other side was yours truly sporting a Hawaiian shirt ( since we were staying at the Poly ), Toni and Sterg.

_DSC4426-L.jpg

Before we knew it we were up in the clouds...

_DSC4417-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Loved your report!! Finally got a chance to catch up. I must agree, writing a trip report extends the magic for a little while longer. :)

Thanks Nicole! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed your report. Excited to hear that you are going back soon!

Pocahontas

Wow. I just read this the whole way through. Extremely entertaining, and I felt like I was with you guys on vacation. Your family is hilarious. And the photography is amazing!

fractal

Original Poster
Wow. I just read this the whole way through. Extremely entertaining, and I felt like I was with you guys on vacation. Your family is hilarious. And the photography is amazing!

Thanks morg! Wish I were there now - even if it's 40 degrees at WDW. Still warmer and more fun than here!

Last edited:

Maggie Mae

So I have been a "creeper" on this site for a little while, and finally officially joined and your tr is the first one I have ever read, your family is wonderful and your trip was amazing! Thank you for sharing your adventure!

fractal

Original Poster
So I have been a "creeper" on this site for a little while, and finally officially joined and your tr is the first one I have ever read, your family is wonderful and your trip was amazing! Thank you for sharing your adventure!

Maggie Mae, Welcome & I'm glad your creeper days are over! :D Thanks for reading and commenting - hopefully we'll be seeing a TR from you soon.??

P_Radden

Well Fractal,
I know I'm months behind here, but Great Trip Report!! I've spent my down time at work this week reading and enjoying all the amazing photos. Thank you for sharing such an amazing trip with us. My fiancée and I will be returning to WDW Dec 26, and I've got lots of ideas of different Disney details to snap pics of. I also really enjoy the pics of food and the different restaurants you've shared. This has greatly helped us consider which places to dine on next trip. Also, we will be heading back to WDW in march for our wedding, and will be staying at the Polynesian for 1 wk honeymoon.. I can't wait to hit the Seven Seas Lagoon in a SeaRacer :) And lastly, I know I'm only 29-yrs-old but I really enjoyed the family togetherness of your trip reports as well as seeing your family grow up meanwhile you have not aged a bit Sir!

I look forward to reading the next one this weekend!!

-Patrick

fractal

Original Poster
Well Fractal,
I know I'm months behind here, but Great Trip Report!! I've spent my down time at work this week reading and enjoying all the amazing photos. Thank you for sharing such an amazing trip with us. My fiancée and I will be returning to WDW Dec 26, and I've got lots of ideas of different Disney details to snap pics of. I also really enjoy the pics of food and the different restaurants you've shared. This has greatly helped us consider which places to dine on next trip. Also, we will be heading back to WDW in march for our wedding, and will be staying at the Polynesian for 1 wk honeymoon.. I can't wait to hit the Seven Seas Lagoon in a SeaRacer :) And lastly, I know I'm only 29-yrs-old but I really enjoyed the family togetherness of your trip reports as well as seeing your family grow up meanwhile you have not aged a bit Sir!

I look forward to reading the next one this weekend!!

-Patrick

Thanks Patrick! Have a great time in December - I would love to go during the Holidays. The Poly will be great for a honeymoon as it's probably the most romantic resort! Early Congratulations to you and your fiancee! Ha,ha - thanks again but there are a few more gray hairs (some with my children's name on them). It's cliche to say it (but true), savor the times with your fiancee and children (if you are blessed with them) as it does go by quickly. Thanks again for reading!

Dizdutch

LOVE Ohana!!! My MUST DO every year! After a delicious dinner at Ohana, we waddle to the beach for Wishes, then waddle to our room LOL (I think I may even oink at the table) Pool time at the Poly is actually one of our fav things every trip. So glad Yia-Yia is enjoying herself! Don't keep us in suspense, did your stay at the Poly make Val is Disney fan?? Excellent pics Chris!!!

Waddle, LOL

Mom@disney

It's been two years since my family and I visited WDW. Two long years. Thankfully, my son Sterg and I got a three day Disney fix last summer at Disneyland.

Curiously, this trip report is being written at a time when a lot of negative Disney vibe is emanating from other regions of WDWMagic - as it was two years ago. The Doom & Gloom is running free and wild. I'm just thankful I stayed clear of most of it before our trip because I may have cancelled what turned out to be an amazing time. It is also fortunate that we got this trip in because from the sound of things there may not be a WDW to go to in a few years.

To be truthful, some things that Disney has done has me scratching my head; but this is neither the time nor place to discuss it. Putting that aside - let's get on with the trip report!

We left on Sunday July 21st. Maybe the longest day of my life. The night before, my oldest daughter Alex went to see Taylor Swift in Philadelphia ( about 50 miles away ) and due to a long rain delay she didn't make it home until 2 am. This meant that she would not go to sleep since we were being picked up at 3 am for the drive to Philly airport for our 6 am flight. At least we were supposed to be picked up at 3am.

Here is my Mom ( Yia-Yia )and my youngest daughter Antonia ( Toni ) up and ready at 3 in the morning waiting for our ride. Yia-Yia ( grandmother in Greek ) is 77 years old and joining us for the first time on a Disney adventure. Toni is now almost 12 and the little Yorki-poo in the front is Prince. Prince is short for Prince Charming ( named by Toni ).

_DSC4415%20-%20Copy-L.jpg

When the driver didn't show up by 3:15 I started to worry. I called the limo company at the same time he called me to tell me he was lost. I reeled him in and we were on our way by 3:30. The drive down was nerve wracking as I kept watching the clock and praying for no delays. That is until our driver eased my tension by telling us his son works for Disney and he goes down to the World 4 or 5 times a year. The resulting Disney conversation lasted until we hit the airport around 4:30.

More tension as we went through security. My carry on was stopped in the machine and I was pulled aside. I had put a container of Vitamin C powder in my bag that garnered some attention. Of course, my Mom came over as I was being held and my bag inspected.

"Why didn't you put that in your suitcase, Christo?" she said to me in her Greek accented voice.

"Mom, please go wait over there" I responded.

"No, I want to see what they are doing" Then she followed with this one for the TSA officer.

"It's not drugs, my son doesn't do cocaine!"

OK, I thought. I'm definitely going to be held in some cell for the next week.

After all the chemical test proved my Mother correct, I was allowed to go on my way. We had time to grab coffee and some food and make it on the Southwest plane to Orlando. A plane full of smiling happy faces! Including these;

This is my wife Val ( not the biggest of Disney fans ), with Yia-Yia in the middle and Alex by the window.

_DSC4425-L.jpg

On the other side was yours truly sporting a Hawaiian shirt ( since we were staying at the Poly ), Toni and Sterg.

_DSC4426-L.jpg

Before we knew it we were up in the clouds...

_DSC4417-L.jpg
I'm extremely late to this TR, but looking foward to reading all about it!

Mom@disney

We had dinner reservations that day at Ohana's at 5:10pm, so after BTMRR we started to make our way out of the park. By this time the park was packed! I don't remember seeing it ever this crowded on our previous trips.

_DSC4568-L.jpg

The following picture was inspired by @ddbowdoin. He took some great photos on his last trip and had them in his trip report. I made an effort to take pics of the castle from different angle besides taking 25 pictures of it straight on. You can also catch ddbowdoin down in the photography section of the forum, as well as some other great photographers.

_DSC4569-L.jpg

The hub was completely jammed due to the afternoon parade. I felt like salmon swimming upstream. For some reason, my family just isn't into the parades. I've never had one of them ask to stop and watch. For me it just doesn't seem worth it to commit that much time in getting good seats, waiting for it to start then get pushed and trampled on by the newcomers. Anyway, I managed a couple pictures as we were making our escape.

_DSC4571-L.jpg

_DSC4572-L.jpg

It was a pleasure spending a few quick hours in Magic Kingdom that afternoon - despite almost melting away. It helped ease the anticipation built up for this trip. A quick Disney fix to set me right. It was also a pleasure to simply walk up the ramp to an awaiting Monorail to take us back.

_DSC4573-L.jpg

Tony Stark, take us home.

_DSC4574-L.jpg

Up Next; Dinner at Ohana's and an evening at Magic Kingdom with the entire crew.
I am really enjoying your report! Your pictures are amazing! I like the little dialogues that you put in. I can't imagine how hot it would be at that time in Florida. Glad you made it through it without getting sick. I'm just on the third page of the report and I want to read the rest right now!!! But I have to get back to work. Thanks for sharing!

fractal

Original Poster
I am really enjoying your report! Your pictures are amazing! I like the little dialogues that you put in. I can't imagine how hot it would be at that time in Florida. Glad you made it through it without getting sick. I'm just on the third page of the report and I want to read the rest right now!!! But I have to get back to work. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! and it was very hot!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom