Iger: No plans for a third gate in Anaheim "at the present", but Disneyland expansion coming.

James122

Original Poster
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...-idea-of-third-theme-park-20150313-story.html

Walt Disney Co. Chairman and Chief Executive Robert Iger dismissed rumors that the company may open a third theme park adjacent to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure.

But in the same breath, he said an expansion of Disneyland is in the works.

I, for one, am glad that there isn't a third gate coming anytime soon. DLR has pretty much the ideal setup, with the two parks right across from each other. A third gate would have to be located some distance away from the rest of the resort.

Also very excited to hear more in the coming months about this expansion!

Last edited:

TP2000

I could care less about a third gate. The two Anaheim parks are already wonderful, and yet brimming with opportunity. And it's the perfect logistical setup, with each park literally steps away from each other.

People talk about how Tokyo Disneyland Resort is the perfect Disney experience. And from a customer service and showmanship perspective, it really is. But the two Tokyo parks are pointed away from each other, and logistically it's difficult to park hop and move around. Imagine if Disneyland's main entrance was off Ball Road and DCA's main entrance was facing Katella Avenue, and the Disneyland Hotel was where GardenWalk is with a long monorail ride that only skirted the perimeter of that sprawling complex, and you kind of get the idea of how un-walkable and unfriendly the Tokyo Disneyland Resort is logistically and aesthetically.

Anaheim really does have a perfect physical setup. A Star Wars expansion in Disneyland and a Marvel expansion in DCA over the next five years would be absolutely fabulous and send the Anaheim customer experience into the stratosphere.

lazyboy97o

I don't think he'd say anything regardless of the project's true status. The land is there and zoned. At some point the continued crowd growth will demand the additional space be utilized. The city who was promised a third hate will probably grow restless as well.

All that said, I don't think a third park crafted by those in charge now will be all that exciting.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

This is good news to my ears.
I don't see a real need at this point for a third Park.

Disney needs to focus on enhancing and plussing the existing Parks before running off and opening another.
DCA in particular can have a LOT more added to it to make it a fuller experience. Disneyland too has areas that need re-development/additions.
Focus on those things first.

The parking situation in the Resort area also has to be seriously addressed before any such major expansion happens, for one thing.
Focus on the two properties you already have, make them the BEST they can be, and then start thinking about a 'third gate'.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I'll welcome a third park When it does happen. More attractions, more entertainment, more dining options...I'm sure more hotels will be part of the package so that'll be another plus too. I can't see any downside to having more.

It's pointless to think about what might have been, but I can't help it in this case. Had the the 2nd gate been built properly the first time around, by now both parks would have seen additional investment and a third park would have probably been in the planning stages. And Star Wars could have had a blank slate to be built upon, not placed in Disneyland wherever there is space to fit it.

I've never thought of park hopping at Tokyo Disney Resort as difficult at all. And the distance between the existing resort and the third park property is much, much closer than the distance between Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea monorail Stations.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Good decision. The last thing Disney really needs is another unfinished gate. For now, they just need to be focusing on renovating their parks they have all around the world, which they have been doing lately.

TP2000

The Tokyo parks are connected by an amazing monorail, though!

With stations beyond the park entrances. You have to exit the parks to get to the nearest monorail station, then walk back across a plaza to the main entrance turnstiles. It's certainly an option, but it isn't speedy and doesn't allow for spur of the moment "Wanna do Haunted Mansion? No, let's go over to DisneySea!" decisions.

Unlike Anaheim where you can walk from Tomorrowland to Cars Land in 15 minutes.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
But the monorail stations are literally steps away from the main entrances. It's very convenient, not as much as Disneyland, but still. I've done those spur of the moment park hops many times in Tokyo.

The only downside to park hopping for non Disney hotel guests would be paying the fare to ride the Resort Liners, and I'll admit I've never not stayed at a Disney hotel while I'm there.

Travel Junkie

I agree with there being no need right now for a third gate. We don't want to run into a WDW problem and not be able to keep the existing parks from becoming stale.

It is unfortunate the timing of all these acquisitions didn't coincide with Anaheim's 2nd gate. If Disney was delayed until now before proceeding, we could be looking at building a 2nd park around Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars instead of trying to cram them into DL and DCA where they don't fit.

lazyboy97o

That park looked beautiful.

When I visited the Queen Mary in Long Beach, I also thought about the Port Disney Resort and how amazing that could have been.
Just remember it would have been WestCOT or Port Disney, not both.

With stations beyond the park entrances. You have to exit the parks to get to the nearest monorail station, then walk back across a plaza to the main entrance turnstiles. It's certainly an option, but it isn't speedy and doesn't allow for spur of the moment "Wanna do Haunted Mansion? No, let's go over to DisneySea!" decisions.

Unlike Anaheim where you can walk from Tomorrowland to Cars Land in 15 minutes.
The ticket structure is a far bigger hurdle to park hopping than the monorails.

The Empress Lilly

Are you people seriously suggesting a little short walk beats an overcrowded 'third world city' bus system?

More to the point, I love new gates. They help spread out the crowds. For all its empty corners, DL's pathways and shows are awfully crowded. On the other hand, the very density of DL seems to be behind its charm and success. It creates density, layeredness, creative solutions that make it feel warm and urban.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
More to the point, I love new gates. They help spread out the crowds. For all its empty corners, DL's pathways and shows are awfully crowded. On the other hand, the very density of DL seems to be behind its charm and success. It creates density, layeredness, creative solutions that make it feel warm and urban.

I would hope the 3rd park is layered like disneyland as well, I would imagine it would have to be out of necessity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom