Iger Confirms Star Wars Domestic Parks Presence

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Because they're artists and sometimes want to make something that is thought provoking as well as entertaining?

Robocop is a fun action movie, but it's also a blistering satire of American culture.

Agree, But too often the movies are preachy and pretentious and more boring than watching paint dry, Films like the 'Hurt Locker' come to mind immediately.

In animation look at Rocky and Bullwinkle - nearly everything was done on two levels even the 'Fractured Fairy Tales' 'fairy' It can be done but it requires a deft touch which many modern filmmakers lack.

ABQ

Filmmakers today try to create formulaic tentpoles. GOTG was simply a 'Fun Summer Movie' and people responded to that as people go to movies to be ENTERTAINED TMNT is in the same vein and people went to see that. I really don't know why moviemakers try to make political statements and/or the next 'Heavens Gate or Xanadu'...
Hey now, people would line up for days to see the next Xanadu and you know it!

freediverdude

If Disney is going to do a Star Wars land, they better pull out all the stops and do it right. Disney has tons of money, they can do this, and people would flock from all over the world to see it and book a vacation. Money would be no object for some of the Star Wars fans, if that's what TDO is looking for. Build it, and build it right, and they will come and $$$! If they do a half baked kiddie ride and gift shop, everybody's going to go ho-hum maybe I'll see that later next time I get to Disney.

bhg469

If Disney is going to do a Star Wars land, they better pull out all the stops and do it right. Disney has tons of money, they can do this, and people would flock from all over the world to see it and book a vacation. Money would be no object for some of the Star Wars fans, if that's what TDO is looking for. Build it, and build it right, and they will come and $$$! If they do a half baked kiddie ride and gift shop, everybody's going to go ho-hum maybe I'll see that later next time I get to Disney.
Unfortunately I think you're dead wrong. Thanks to the lack of spending Disney gets away with, they can do anything and people will come. Only the real fans will be disappointed. I hope I'm wrong but when this frozen promo at DHS is as successful as it is on a shoestring budget, we have that to look forward to until they prove otherwise. If they get the New Fantasyland treatment, then we can expect all the star wars universe to be smashed together with no actual flow...

freediverdude

Unfortunately I think you're dead wrong. Thanks to the lack of spending Disney gets away with, they can do anything and people will come. Only the real fans will be disappointed. I hope I'm wrong but when this frozen promo at DHS is as successful as it is on a shoestring budget, we have that to look forward to until they prove otherwise. If they get the New Fantasyland treatment, then we can expect all the star wars universe to be smashed together with no actual flow...

Well you may be right. Frankly I don't understand the success of Frozen. There isn't really anything very special about the movie. I suspect part of it is the marketing on the Disney channel, with it pushed in the kid's faces every 30 seconds. I think even Disney is surprised at how much they can control a certain age group just by exposing it on the Disney channel repeatedly.

bhg469

Well you may be right. Frankly I don't understand the success of Frozen. There isn't really anything very special about the movie. I suspect part of it is the marketing on the Disney channel, with it pushed in the kid's faces every 30 seconds. I think even Disney is surprised at how much they can control a certain age group just by exposing it on the Disney channel repeatedly.
I suspect you're right. If they have a catchy tune that dominates the radio, thats all they really need.

Matt_Black

That doesn't really explain the popularity among 20- and 30-somethings, however.

Quinnmac000

That doesn't really explain the popularity among 20- and 30-somethings, however.

Simple, its a not try hard disney film which people could easily relate to one or more of the characters, put it in the winter against a weak line up and bam spreads like wild fire. Also helps that it leaked online, when movies leak, it seems to help with interest rather than diminish it (ex. Xmen Origins: Wolverine)

Matt_Black

Simple, its a not try hard disney film which people could easily relate to one or more of the characters, put it in the winter against a weak line up and bam spreads like wild fire. Also helps that it leaked online, when movies leak, it seems to help with interest rather than diminish it (ex. Xmen Origins: Wolverine)

That might explain it's popularity here in the U.S., but that doesn't account for it's overwhelming success in foreign markets, including those that are often quite critical of Western Animation (like Japan).

The simple fact is that you do not make over a billion dollars world wide and counting by not having much competition your first few weeks out.

n2hifi

It is one of my favorite Disney movies and I'm 44. I'm usually the one pushing to watch it. My wife wants to decorate the bedroom with Olaf. Everyone has different tastes but I think it's one of Disney's best.

freediverdude

It is one of my favorite Disney movies and I'm 44. I'm usually the one pushing to watch it. My wife wants to decorate the bedroom with Olaf. Everyone has different tastes but I think it's one of Disney's best.

Yes, and I bet you like watching the Disney channel don't you, lol. Trust me, it's not a coincidence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom