If you were a local... Downtown Disney Security question

If you were a local, will the new security check to enter Downtown Disney make an impact?

• It makes no difference to me, I will visit the same as in the past

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • The security procedure will have me attend less

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • The knowledge of being in a "secure" area will have me visit more often

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

NobodyElse

Nobody with true knowledge of this project has checked in here to set us straight. I concur with others that it's ultimately unlikely that they would force "walkers" to go through two security checks. I'm guessing once you step off the escalator (or elevator) you will be directed west, where you'll cross the tram roadway, then turn south taking the relatively straight path down "Downtown Drive", ultimately ending up at one of the new security points into Downtown Disney.

Disadvantages of this route include a longer (more crowded?) walk, and more potential interactions with vehicle traffic. Advantage (to Disney) is more foot traffic for DTD.

If you think about it, a shooter can act from just outside the gates and attack the guests waiting in line for security check. Technically these people wouldn't be inside the Resort but 3 or 4 feet outside it would still draw the same attention.

The point of a security gate is to sanitize the space after the gate, not before or at the gate. Why? Because over 99% of your day will be at the point beyond the gate. The security gate is only 5-15 minutes of your day that you are "vulnerable." This is why stadiums, major tourist attractions and government buildings have security gates. After the gate, I can enjoy the day without having to think about crazies with guns (and nothing kills as effortlessly and efficiently, and is as easily accessible as guns).

felipenor

The point of a security gate is to sanitize the space after the gate, not before or at the gate. Why? Because over 99% of your day will be at the point beyond the gate. The security gate is only 5-15 minutes of your day that you are "vulnerable." This is why stadiums, major tourist attractions and government buildings have security gates. After the gate, I can enjoy the day without having to think about crazies with guns (and nothing kills as effortlessly and efficiently, and is as easily accessible as guns).
Your point is true, but what I meant is that if someone really wanted to make the headlines by attacking Disneyland (or Disneylands guests, even if they are a few steps outside the park), he wouldn't need more than 5 minutes to do it. There might be dozens of people, even more, waiting in line for security check.
Not very likely, and it's never happened before - just as I assume it's never happened at Downtown Disney either - the thing is there's no way to be thorough, they'll always be vulnerable somewhere.

D

Deleted member 107043

Here's an article about new room security procedures at the WDW "Monorail hotels" adjacent to the Magic Kingdom.

https://tinyurl.com/y8ufdpxc

I wonder if similar protocols will be adapted at DLR? Seems reasonable to expect Disney to roll this out at its resorts globally.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I presume this change is happening industry wide for Hotels, and not just Disney properties.

Las Vegas Hotels already have.

Here is a news article talking about Texas.

http://kxan.com/2017/10/02/hotels-across-texas-explore-new-do-not-disturb-policy-after-shooting/

But it is a simple, common sense measure to have someone inspect the room at least once a day (24 hours). Should the guest be able to schedule the visit, yes. But that is simple to do, ask when checking in the time window you prefer.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
And going back to the original question, it has reduced local visits, along with the parking issues.

Plus the upcoming construction will probably reduce DtD only visits even more.

Which is fine, Disney has been morphing the mall for 15 years to focus on Hotel Guests, plus theme park visitors.

The locals have plenty of nearby choices with close by The Outlets at Orange, MainPlace Mall, and the Buena Park Mall. Plus the better known malls a bit further away, South Coast Plaza, Fashion Island, Irvine Spectrum, The Marketplace of Tustin/Irvine and the District.

Also the change to online shopping in general.

As for food and entertainment, there are good food choices at DtD, but nothing that demands a special trip. And entertainment, we have multiple bowling alleys nearby, plus Virtual Reality sites, many in the malls I mentioned above. Heck, I won't go to GardenWalk to shop, but I will go to eat, and now with House of Blues, attend an event.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And going back to the original question, it has reduced local visits, along with the parking issues.

Plus the upcoming construction will probably reduce DtD only visits even more.

Which is fine, Disney has been morphing the mall for 15 years to focus on Hotel Guests, plus theme park visitors.

The locals have plenty of nearby choices with close by The Outlets at Orange, MainPlace Mall, and the Buena Park Mall. Plus the better known malls a bit further away, South Coast Plaza, Fashion Island, Irvine Spectrum, The Marketplace of Tustin/Irvine and the District.

Also the change to online shopping in general.

As for food and entertainment, there are good food choices at DtD, but nothing that demands a special trip. And entertainment, we have multiple bowling alleys nearby, plus Virtual Reality sites, many in the malls I mentioned above. Heck, I won't go to GardenWalk to shop, but I will go to eat, and now with House of Blues, attend an event.

I hope more and more of these changes to the resort turns it from a locals hangout to a tourist destination. This will help with the crowds tremendously.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I hope more and more of these changes to the resort turns it from a locals hangout to a tourist destination. This will help with the crowds tremendously.

No it won't. Right now a lot of locals with AP's leave the parks to grab a bite to eat at DtD.

The changes are stopping the locals saying "let's go to Downtown Disney". The ones already there for other reasons, such as using their AP, will still be there in force.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No it won't. Right now a lot of locals with AP's leave the parks to grab a bite to eat at DtD.

The changes are stopping the locals saying "let's go to Downtown Disney". The ones already there for other reasons, such as using their AP, will still be there in force.

I'm speaking about the changes overall, including the AP program that have been happening over the last couple of years. When you include all these changes, including more to come, it should have a big impact on stopping the DLR being a hangout.

DanielBB8

The change in parking policy makes me want to visit less. In fact, I haven’t visited at all since they do not allow 3 free hours. The security is not a concern since I grew used to it after owning an AP. However, since my AP expired this past October, I haven’t been back. I expect to not be back until well after Star Wars Land opens. The new luxury hotel won’t open until 4 years later. Downtown Disney will be cut down by about one-third in length. So what’s the attraction?

I highly advise Disney to expand Downtown Disney into the Eastern Gateway within the next 10 years as Downtown Disney East with new stores, a new hotel resort, and new mixed parking structure. Parking will continue to be the biggest issue as well as store mix, which is poor. Relax the parking policy slightly. Enforcement is the bigger issue so don’t make everyone suffer just because some abuse the system.

George Lucas on a Bench

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. The few are the vacationers. DLR is mainly populated by locals. There's a watered down touristy version of DL in Florida but the atmosphere makes it awkward and dull. The fact is, I'd rather be in a park filled with APs. DL is vibrant and frankly, pleasant, because of it.

Old Mouseketeer

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. The few are the vacationers. DLR is mainly populated by locals. There's a watered down touristy version of DL in Florida but the atmosphere makes it awkward and dull. The fact is, I'd rather be in a park filled with APs. DL is vibrant and frankly, pleasant, because of it.

So, it's a feature--not a bug?

Jedi Stitch

Interesting. It has been a while since I did DtD and not just the parks when I last went. Last time we parked in a garage and walked DtD, ate at the Rain Forest and did Disneyland. Before that I was there with my wife and we were staying at the Howard Johnson, either walked or mostly taken the shuttle to the grand entrance at the time. My question, since it has been a while, doing the security check points would screen people from the garages or walking from the Disneyland Hotel transiting DtD? If you are a Good Neighbor taking a shuttle to a drop off point I assume that is the check point? With the plans for the East esplanade was that going to be the shuttle drop point? Finally, then I assume you could park hop with out going thru the security check point?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
OK, the security area has 6 checkpoints currently.

1. The Eastern Shuttle Area, same as it has been for over a decade, and the one Disney wants to move to the Eastern Gateway Project, and at the Toy Story Lot. No change is expected in the near future.

2. The DCA entrance from the GCH, now restricted to GCH guests, and diners who eat at an GCH location.

3. A small checkpoint from the Grand Californian Hotel into DtD near Sephora, restricted mainly to GCH guests. Also no planned change.

The other three are scheduled to be repositioned, and one might be eliminate.

4. The western Checkpoint, and main one for DLH and PPH guests and Simba parking, currently between the ESPN Zone and AMC Theaters, will need to be moved due to the Western side construction, but will remain open in some form.

5, A northern one nearby between the ESPN Zone and the Rainforest Café, used by DtD parking, and M&F parking guests who do not want to take the tram. Scheduled to close down, and reopen as the 4th Hotel check point.

6. M&F Parking Trams checkpoint, currently in the Pinocchio lot will need to be adjusted multiple times for the new parking structure construction. Expected to be used by both structures when completed.

So this new large zone allows guests to visit both parks and eat/shop at DtD without leaving the Zone. Eating at a Hotel Restaurant/bar does require exiting the secure area.

As for non-Disney Hotel Guests, they walk or are dropped off near one of the 4 main security checkpoints. (Entering the GCH now requires you to be a guest, and a manned security questioning post is set up on Disneyland Drive at the main Vehicle entrance. All cars are checked at the gate by a CM, and pedestrians also have a CM or Security asking for a room key, or your name, to check the reservation list on a tablet.)

Of course, this causes issues, as the security checks sometimes now require more walking, and with the former main DtD parking lot closing shortly (Most will park at Simba). So going to grab a meal, or shop for an hour takes 30 minutes or more to park, walk and go through security.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom