If you were a local... Downtown Disney Security question

If you were a local, will the new security check to enter Downtown Disney make an impact?

• It makes no difference to me, I will visit the same as in the past

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • The security procedure will have me attend less

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • The knowledge of being in a "secure" area will have me visit more often

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
OK, we have the recent news about Disneyland expanding the Security zone to include Downtown Disney. So I am interested in your thoughts and wanted to start a poll.

Presume you live within a hour drive to the park, maybe even a bit closer. (And this question is a "What if?" and you don't actually have to live in the area to answer the question, just please answer as IF you were one.

Take into consideration the following.

DtD has a paid parking system with limited validation.

The parking can be hard, since there are two main lots, one is just north of the ESPN Zone, off Magic Way, and the other is Simba behind the Paradise Pier Hotel. The system is getting a ticket when entering, and then needing to pay when leaving the lot, or at least turning in your ticket.

The roadways near DtD can get congested, due to the Theme Parks and their lots, and folks entering/exiting.

The mix of stores, plus restaurants and a Movie Theater. And you are also planning to only go to DtD and not the parks.

Now add to that the need to go through security to enter the area.

So the question is, does this make you want to visit more or less often?

StarWarsGirl

Well, considering that one of the areas the Orlando shooter looked at was Disney Springs, it would make me feel much better to have security everywhere on Disney property, including DL's DTD.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well, considering that one of the areas the Orlando shooter looked at was Disney Springs, it would make me feel much better to have security everywhere on Disney property, including DL's DTD.
Please stop spreading this. The FBI has already stated that there is NO proof that he was targeting DS. Only that he visited it. Spreading fear for no reason is not the right thing to do.

StarWarsGirl

Please stop spreading this. The FBI has already stated that there is NO proof that he was targeting DS. Only that he visited it. Spreading fear for no reason is not the right thing to do.
Because the FBI is right 100% of the time. Uh huh.

It's not spreading fear. It's being reasonable. We live in a violent society. Additional screening is neccesary. End of story.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Because the FBI is right 100% of the time. Uh huh.

It's not spreading fear. It's being reasonable. We live in a violent society. Additional screening is neccesary. End of story.
I didn't say additional screening wasn't warranted or necessary. I was asking you to stop spreading the wrong information. They may not be right 100% of the time, but they crawled up this guys butt with a microscope, and found no proof.

Ismael Flores

how much time before they include the hotels in the secured area.
I read on another site about the news of the 15 year old that has gone missing From the GCH.

I just can't seem to find any other Info online about this though

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I just don't how they can do that practically, especially with guest luggage.

Now increased security presence, yes, that has been happening, especially after something makes the news.

But there are many items that a guest can take to their room that is banned inside the secure area.

Ismael Flores

True, I guess it would have to be just higher security presence or a espérate security inspection.
I have noticed that in many high end hotels in Europe and Asia in my travels they have set up security inspection with luggage scanners. I have learned to travel with less and less.
This world is really changing

DDLand

how much time before they include the hotels in the secured area.
I read on another site about the news of the 15 year old that has gone missing From the GCH.

I just can't seem to find any other Info online about this though
This has been something that I've been thinking about too. If there's a bad guy, they don't have to go to Disneyland Park to make a splash about attacking Disneyland. They just go to the undefended hotels. I believe I remember someone was found bringing a gun to a Disneyland Paris Hotel. This is a real issue.

I'm thinking they set something like an airport screening up at the main entrances of all 4 resorts, with all bags being screened upon entrance to the hotel.

Now this is a pain, and not the happiest welcome, but it does present some upsides. Besides the obvious safety selling point, by putting the Hotels within the security bubble then theoretically all hotel guests would only have to be screened once for the entire duration of the trip. If they didn't have a gun or knife when entering the first time, they wont have it two days later. That means shorter security lines and pain free entrance to the parks and Downtown Disney.

Screened once, and then you're done. That would actually be an attractive selling point. There's also the benefit of discouraging guests from leaving the Resort for other offerings like Garden Walk when they know they'll have to renter security. Might as well spend a little more and stay on property to avoid the hassle.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I just got off the phone with a friend, who said that since it is well known, I could mention it...

One "trick" that Disney and many other law enforcement agencies do is "change their wardrobe", so on some days, say when a news story has folks worried, some of the security personnel who dress low key (plain clothes) get into uniform. Disney will require security officers to wear the florescence vest to increase visibility. That doesn't mean they increased staff, (though they also do that when warranted), just that they become more visible, which helps the visitors and staff feel more comfortable.

But to be honest with you, it is the "hidden" stuff that tends to provide the best defense.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I remember going to Disneyland just after 911 happened. I think it was the 13th when they reopened. It was really eerie walking around the park. The place was deserted and there were a lot of security in uniform. The weirdest part was there were no airplanes flying over Disneyland. It was kind of surreal.

Rich T

I'd be more inclined to visit a "secure" public shopping/dining tourist destination than a "non-secure" one, given the choice.

westie

The security line the other day was low but later in the afternoon was big, all the way back to the disney store. Also saw plain clothes security as they walked right through the gate, spoke to normal security personnel and went about their merry way. All in all I feel very safe in and around the parks.

felipenor

I feel like increasing security would feel like a plus to tourists but not for locals. Would you like to go through a security check everytime you go to a mall or a movie theater?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I feel like increasing security would feel like a plus to tourists but not for locals. Would you like to go through a security check everytime you go to a mall or a movie theater?

Well, that has been a knock by locals for Downtwon Disney already in general, dealing with the traffic, paying for parking sometimes (a couple of hours free.

Then were the mix of stores, Disney spent a lot of money promoting DtD to the locals when it opend over 10 years ago, but folks came once, checked it out, and didn't return. They tried a few special events to get folks to return, but it didn't work.

(The same issue hit Anaheim GardenWalk between traffic, parking and the mix of stores and restaurants.)

Too many other options in the area that are easier to drive to, lots of free parking, larger malls with more shops and restaurant choices. So both Anaheim Malls went to a more visitor focused mix of shops and restaurants, and will remian. So yes, for a visitor, having the parks and DtD in the same security area is a benefit, bit for locals, it is just another pain to deal with if you do want to shop or eat there (and not go to the parks)

As a local, I go to the Buena Park Mall/Downtown, The Outlets at Orange and the Main Place Mall as my main go to's for Malls. As for shopping, plenty of strip malls and places nearby (Harbor and Orangethorpe in Fullerton is common, partly due to the fact COSTCO is part of the mix, and has great gas prices. Want something nicer, South Coast Plaza is the largest mall on the West Coast with a lot of very upscale shops as part of the mix. Also, we have Fashion Island and the Irvine Spectrum nearby.

I go to the Anaheim GardenWalk to eat at Roy's on occasion, but also have driven to Fashion Island instead (another location). But even when I need a Build A bear as a gift, tend to use the online option and have it delivered instead of going to DtD.

felipenor

This has been something that I've been thinking about too. If there's a bad guy, they don't have to go to Disneyland Park to make a splash about attacking Disneyland. They just go to the undefended hotels. I believe I remember someone was found bringing a gun to a Disneyland Paris Hotel. This is a real issue.
If you think about it, a shooter can act from just outside the gates and attack the guests waiting in line for security check. Technically these people wouldn't be inside the Resort but 3 or 4 feet outside it would still draw the same attention.

George Lucas on a Bench

Can someone explain how this is going to work? I never read up on this and I'm too lazy now. But from what I saw, here's what I gather. There will be a security entrance from the parking structure to the tram loading area. There will also be a security entrance at the entrance of Downtown Disney near the Disneyland Hotel, which will be the new walking path. So if you choose to walk from Mickey and Friends, you forego security until the Downtown Disney entrance? Or will there be a redundant check? The old walking path from the Pinocchio lot to Downtown Disney near Wetzel's Pretzels will go away forever, presumably.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Good question, not sure if they will offer the walk around option at the M&F Structure, or you might get a redundant check, as you will leave the secure zone when exiting the tram loading area. You will get screened at DtD no matter what.

So you can presume that Disney will offer a bypass walkway, as they don't want to waste their time doing a check for no reason. But nobody really knows, it might be added after running the new checkpoints for a few weeks.

As for the old pathway, looks like it will become an emergency egress only pathway, where if there is a need to evacuate the area, it can be quickly opened up to help get people away from the danger. But no entrance.

Last edited:

dweezil78

Yeah... that was my question too, re: the pathway. I rarely take the tram these days. The walk ends up being quicker w/o having to wait plus I just like to stay on my feet. Hope they don't get rid of it, make it longer, or make me go thru security 2x otherwise it will defeat the purpose. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom