If you slightly change dates of your trip, are FPs cancelled?

JChoma

Original Poster
We are debating arriving one night earlier for our Nov. WDW trip, on Saturday instead of Sunday. We'll be visiting my in-laws in FL leading up to our trip, so arrival is a little flexible. If we add on Saturday night, make our Fast Pass reservations, then end up cancelling the Saturday night stay, are our first day FPs cancelled? Not quite sure how that works.

Weather_Lady

You didn't specify whether you're staying onsite or off, or what ticket media you're using (and whether it's part of a package), but from what I understand: Fastpasses are not tied to your resort stay (except for purposes of determining when your "window" opens, since staying onsite makes a difference), as much as to your tickets. You can make Fastpasses 30 days out (or 60 days from your arrival, if staying onsite, and for as many days thereafter as you have tickets linked to your MDE account). If you change your dates later, you shouldn't lose any Fastpasses, unless the date change pushes you back outside of the 30/60 day window, or unless the change results in you trying to use tickets that are part of a room-and-ticket package prior to the check-in date for that package. (In other words, if you're asking whether you'd lose FP+ that you made for Saturday if you modify your stay to begin on Sunday, then the answer depends on whether the modification occurs within the 30-day window that anyone can make FP+, and whether your tickets are part of a package, which prevents you from making pre-check-in-day FP+. If you're asking whether you'd lose FP+ that you already made for Sunday if you were to modify your stay to omit Saturday night later on, the answer is no - you would not lose them if you modify your arrival day a few days or even weeks later, even though you were able to make them a day earlier based on the "original" booking window that assumed a Saturday arrival.)

Last edited:

correcaminos

You should be fine if you add the day. I had a room change before my last trip. It was technically a cancel and rebook too. I have read you get about 24 hours grace period if changing outside of 30 days to book for your FP days at a resort before they get cancelled. So you would lose those FP unless you cancelled inside of 30 days.

JChoma

Original Poster
You didn't specify whether you're staying onsite or off, or what ticket media you're using (and whether it's part of a package), but from what I understand: Fastpasses are not tied to your resort stay (except for purposes of determining when your "window" opens, since staying onsite makes a difference), as much as to your tickets. You can make Fastpasses 30 days out (or 60 days from your arrival, if staying onsite, and for as many days thereafter as you have tickets linked to your MDE account). If you change your dates later, you shouldn't lose any Fastpasses, unless the date change pushes you back outside of the 30/60 day window, or unless the change results in you trying to use tickets that are part of a room-and-ticket package prior to the check-in date for that package. (In other words, if you're asking whether you'd lose FP+ that you made for Saturday if you modify your stay to begin on Sunday, then the answer depends on whether the modification occurs within the 30-day window that anyone can make FP+, and whether your tickets are part of a package, which prevents you from making pre-check-in-day FP+. If you're asking whether you'd lose FP+ that you already made for Sunday if you were to modify your stay to omit Saturday night later on, the answer is no - you would not lose them if you modify your arrival day a few days or even weeks later, even though you were able to make them a day earlier based on the "original" booking window that assumed a Saturday arrival.)
Sorry, should have provided more info! We are onsite, and have a package booked with assigned tickets starting Sunday. I would not add a night on to our package since we wouldn't know 30 days out if we were arriving Saturday or Sunday, and I would not want to be penalized for the change. I would book a separate room-only reservation for Saturday night, and cancel it with a new days of our trip if we do not use it. So if I make Fast Pass reservations starting when my window opens assuming a Saturday arrival....but we decide to arrive on Sunday and cancel the Saturday night stay....are those FPs cancelled?

correcaminos

Sorry, should have provided more info! We are onsite, and have a package booked with assigned tickets starting Sunday. I would not add a night on to our package since we wouldn't know 30 days out if we were arriving Saturday or Sunday, and I would not want to be penalized for the change. I would book a separate room-only reservation for Saturday night, and cancel it with a new days of our trip if we do not use it. So if I make Fast Pass reservations starting when my window opens assuming a Saturday arrival....but we decide to arrive on Sunday and cancel the Saturday night stay....are those FPs cancelled?
Inside the 30 days it will not matter. Sadly it is a trick people use. Book a stay and cancel inside 30 days just to get FP at 60 when staying off site.

Just as an FYI split stays should get full booking, but people have had issues in the past. If you want to be totally legitimate you can always not book the FP for that Sat too until 30 days out. Just a thought.

Weather_Lady

If you have a room-and-ticket package that starts Sunday and a room-only on Saturday, you won't be able to make advance FP+ for Saturday at all -- not even at 30 days out. (We just went through this recently ourselves, so I know from firsthand experience -- we had a one-day room-only followed by a 6-night package at the same resort with 8-day tickets, timed to get free dining, and we couldn't make any FP+ for our arrival day because the package with the tickets wasn't considered "active" until the day after.) You'll be able to make FP+ starting 60 days from the package check-in date (Sunday), for Sunday and every day thereafter up through the length of your ticket, but you will not be able to make them for Saturday, because Disney's systems assume that you won't be onsite until Sunday, and aren't set up to allow you to slide your own FP+ window to an earlier date (or even to let a CM do it for you over the phone), even though you have a separate room-only onsite reservation for that date.

When you arrive at your resort on Saturday (if you end up keeping the Saturday room-only), you can ask the CM at check-in to activate your tickets right then (a day early -- from what I was told, tickets can be activated up to 3 days before your package check-in date, but it can't be done until you arrive on-site). At that point, you can then make day-of FP+ for Saturday (or better yet, have the CM make them for you -- they'll be able to see everything that's left in the FP+ inventory for that day for your park of choice, and select what you want in seconds from what's available.) That's what we had to do, and although I fretted that we wouldn't be able to get any decent FP+ (mid-afternoon on our arrival day), we were able to choose from anything we wanted in our chosen park (MK) except for 7DMT.

Last edited:

correcaminos

If you have a package that starts Sunday and a room-only on Saturday, you won't be able to make advance FP+ for Saturday at all -- not even at 30 days out. (We just went through this recently ourselves, so I know from firsthand experience -- we had a one-day room-only followed by a 6-night package with 8-day tickets, timed to get free dining, and we couldn't make any FP+ for our arrival day because the package with the tickets didn't start until the following day.) You'll be able to make FP+ starting 60 days from the package check-in date (Sunday), for the length of your ticket, but you will not be able to make them any earlier, because Disney's systems assume that you won't be onsite until Sunday, and aren't set up to allow you to slide your own FP+ window to an earlier date, even though you have a separate room-only onsite reservation for that date.

When you arrive at your resort on Saturday (if you end up keeping the Saturday room-only), you can ask the CM at check-in to activate your tickets right then (a day early -- from what I was told, tickets can be activated up to 3 days before your package check-in date, but it has to be done after your arrival on-site). At that point, you can then make day-of FP+ for Saturday (or better yet, have the CM make them for you -- they'll be able to see everything that's left in the FP+ inventory for that day for your park of choice, and select what you want in seconds from what's available.) That's what we had to do, and although I fretted that we wouldn't be able to get any decent FP+ (mid-afternoon on our arrival day), we were able to choose from anything we wanted in our chosen park (MK) except for 7DMT.
If you have a room only and valid ticket you get to book at 60 days. All people with valid admission can book FP at 30.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/my-disney-experience/fastpass-plus/

What you did was what others consider a split stay technically and often those have issues booking. A phone call should fix it.

Weather_Lady

If you have a room only and valid ticket you get to book at 60 days. All people with valid admission can book FP at 30.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/my-disney-experience/fastpass-plus/

What you did was what others consider a split stay technically and often those have issues booking.

Yes, but if your tickets are linked to a package, then they aren't considered "valid" until the check-in date for the package, and cannot be used to make FP+ for any date earlier than the package check-in date.

What the OP described is exactly the same as what we did -- a room-only reservation for one night, followed by a multi-day room-and-ticket package -- a split stay not in the sense that it involved two different resorts, but in the sense that it involved two different types of reservations (room-only vs. package), and as I learned to my sorrow, the rules for FP+ are different when you have a package that comes after the room-only.

As it was explained to me by a Disney representative via e-mail:

[CUT-and-PASTE follows - explanatory notes in brackets were added by me - we arrived 11/14 for a room-only reservation, with a room-and-ticket package beginning 11/15]:

Dear *****,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort. We are so excited to hear that you are coming to see us here at Walt Disney World®!

Since your Tickets are a part of a package, you would not be able to make FastPass+ for 11/14 ahead of time. When you check-in to the Resort [*for your room-only reservation on 11/14*], be sure to activate your Tickets. They need to be activated before you can use them since they are a part of a package for another Reservation. Once you activate your Tickets, you can then select your 3 FastPass+ for 11/14. You can select your FastPass+ through the app or at a kiosk in the park.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact the Internet Help Desk at 407-939-4357.

Sincerely,

Yakira Diaz

Last edited:

correcaminos

Yes, but if your tickets are linked to a package, then they aren't considered "valid" until the check-in date for the package, and cannot be used to make FP+ for any date earlier than the package check-in date.

What the OP described is exactly the same as what we did -- a room-only reservation for one night, followed by a multi-day room-and-ticket package.
Thanks, somehow I lost the idea of check in date with the package (quite tired today). I personally would be hard pressed to get a package in this scenario. I would put it together separately and not worry about start dates.

Weather_Lady

Thanks, somehow I lost the idea of check in date with the package (quite tired today). I personally would be hard pressed to get a package in this scenario. I would put it together separately and not worry about start dates.

Agreed -- it created a lot of unnecessary hassle in our case, and we only did it that way to take advantage of free dining. I think in most cases, purchasing room and tickets a la carte gives you much more control over your plans.

correcaminos

Agreed -- it created a lot of unnecessary hassle in our case, and we only did it that way to take advantage of free dining. I think in most cases, purchasing room and tickets a la carte gives you much more control over your plans.
I figured as much in your case for free dining. I agree that in most cases a la carte is easier and allows for more flexibility. Pricing out for us we have found better deals anyway (no dining for us). Thanks again for helping a brain dead person out lol

JChoma

Original Poster
Thanks so much for these helpful responses! I booked a package to get Free Dining, so can't do a la carte. I'm thinking we'll just keep our plans as is, adding a day feels complicated. And to complicate things even more....our current check-in-Sunday stay is already split. 5 days at CBR followed by 2 at at CSR. I'm realizing we probably can't make fast passes those last 2 days now until that later window opens up!

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks so much for these helpful responses! I booked a package to get Free Dining, so can't do a la carte. I'm thinking we'll just keep our plans as is, adding a day feels complicated. And to complicate things even more....our current check-in-Sunday stay is already split. 5 days at CBR followed by 2 at at CSR. I'm realizing we probably can't make fast passes those last 2 days now until that later window opens up!

You will be able to make fastpasses for your whole stay at 60 days from the package check-in, assuming that you have enough days on your ticket. If you just had 6 days of tickets, then you would only be able to make 6 days worth of fps. But otherwise all will be fine! It's just the days before the package starts that are the problem.

JChoma

Original Poster
You will be able to make fastpasses for your whole stay at 60 days from the package check-in, assuming that you have enough days on your ticket. If you just had 6 days of tickets, then you would only be able to make 6 days worth of fps. But otherwise all will be fine! It's just the days before the package starts that are the problem.
Oh phew! Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom