If you could bring back an old Disney attraction, what would it be?

Amidala

Probably Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in MK, Horizons in Epcot and the Backlot Tour at DHS. But I don't think I would want any old rides (including these) to actually make a comeback. If anything, I would love to see new rides inspired by the success of older ones. We're definitely overdue for a new omnimover ride in the style of Horizons, with new imagineering shaping the theme, animatronics, etc.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I've had the opportunity to experience most of the attractions that others have referenced over the years since my first WDW visit in 82.

The only one for me is Mickey Mouse Review. It closed to go to Tokyo before my first visit so I never got to experience it. I don't need it back permanently, would just like to have had the opportunity to experience it more than just via YouTube videos.

DavidS1234

Just going to perform an extremely controversial linguistic ritual here to resurrect an old ghost... even if it doesn't count as an "attraction". The Adventurers Club! I miss it soooooo much.

danyoung56

Yaay, someone else remembers how much better Eeeemaaaaaginaaaashun used to be.

The first Imagination show was MUCH better than what's there now. But I can remember being a little underwhelmed by that first show. It always seemed as if Disney ran out of imagination (or money!) about 2/3 of the way through. The first part was pretty incredible, but then they ended up lame.

hoffman1

The theater at Exposition Hall. It almost felt like a hidden gem. It seemed to me a kind of salute to what originally gave the parks their start (the old Mickey cartoons). There was hardly ever anyone back there (probably why they got rid of it). It was a nice place to cool off or avoid a rain shower. We have lots of pics with the photo ops. I almost forgot! That is also where Scoop held his Pin Talks.
One time, it may have been at a MNSSHP, there was a downpour for hours. We sought refuge back there. The theater area was maybe 1/2 full. Cast members did some impromptu skits with some kids on the stage. It made a rainy day at the Magic Kingdom really great.

hoffman1

Mr. Toad was a bunch of flat painted wood cutouts. Much better in our memories than in real life. The Skyway was the same ride they have at zoos and amusement parks across the country- and provided views of unthemed rooftops and backstage areas. I know many of you grew up going to Epcot and love what it was, but so many of those old attractions (Cranium Command, Body Wars, Food Rocks) felt extremely dated as soon as the 90's. I still think the majority of attractions from the past aren't as good as we remember them. [Ducking to avoid the stones that will surely be thrown at my head for this opinion!]

While I agree with you on most of this, some of the dark rides (Mr. Toad and Snow White) had a different type of artistry to them than the rides today. I still enjoyed the Snow White ride the last time I rode it before it closed.

_caleb

While I agree with you on most of this, some of the dark rides (Mr. Toad and Snow White) had a different type of artistry to them than the rides today. I still enjoyed the Snow White ride the last time I rode it before it closed.
Yes, I agree. I really appreciate the old, simple approaches to rides, shows, and attractions.

But the simple effects that always worked so well in the good old days seem cheesy and outdated by most guests these days (which is why all of these beloved rides were taken out). Disney pioneered the well-themed dark ride. But now, faded, unmoving fiberglass cartoon statues are on every McPlayPlace across the country. This is why they're now creating dark ride/roller-coaster hybrids (RSR in DCA and SDMT in Magic Kingdom)- to try to keep things fresh and keep people entertained. It's also why they added projection mapping and automated lighted mouse ears to the fireworks shows- to try to keep people's attention and remain relevant.

Mr. Toad's was probably the best version of the "wild mouse through a funhouse" -type ride in the world. But in the end, it didn't age well –especially compared to newer rides based on more familiar IPs.

Chipster

I miss the Hunchback of Notre Dame show at DHS - best live show they had and I miss Maelstrom at EPCOT. Will definitely miss GMR and I miss Superstar television.

kathrynwmurphy

So many great rides/attractions/etc. I miss.... they've all been said numerous times! The ones I miss the most are Horizons, World of Motion, SpectroMagic and the original Imagination and Image Works.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom