if Walt WAS racist, would you care?

ctwhalerman

Gmax said:
Blacks still have not been featured in animated movies, nor are there any Black princes, or princesses.

That is so true, and I've never thought of it. There's even been an Arab princess (Jasmine) and a Chinese princess (Mulan), but still no prominent black characters in Disney movies.

Connor002

Gmax said:
As a Black woman, I would care if Walt Disney was a racist. It would concern me that all year, I'm saving up to visit a resort whose creator would not want me nor my family there, and consider us less human than he.

I believe that now the responsibilty falls on those currently in power at Disney. It is 2006, and Blacks still have not been featured in animated movies, nor are there any Black princes, or princesses.

It's impossible to rewrite the past, but they can do something now.

I can understand your thoughts on the matter, but I do not think a movie with African American lead characters should be made unless there is a story behind it worthy of telling... not just because of white guilt.

wedway71

I dont think Walt was anymore or anyless of a racist than any other business person of the times.If he was I dont see any proof of it.Racist is a very vague word.When I have to drive through the bad parts of town and I lock my doors does that make me racist?When someone is ignorant towards a certain race does that make them a racist?Id say its very hrd to say if Walt was.My idea of a racist is someone who has a HATRED towards a race and I dont think Walt fit that role at all.

c-nyce

Connor002 said:
I can understand your thoughts on the matter, but I do not think a movie with African American lead characters should be made unless there is a story behind it worthy of telling... not just because of white guilt.

Connor are you in the program now or will be arriving in the next few months...

Gmax

Connor002 said:

First of all, I seriously doubt that Disney would EVER make a movie with NO substance to satisfy anyone. I am sure, that they are quite able to write a story with lead characters that just happen to be African Amercian that IS worth telling. And secondly, I never mentioned anything about "white guilt". If the Disney Company can persue African American tourists, and hold Disney World contests on radio stations that target them, then surely, we could be included as main characters in an animated movie.

Connor002

Gmax said:
First of all, I seriously doubt that Disney would EVER make a movie with NO substance to satisfy anyone.
The idea is to satisfy everyone... but I digress...
I am sure, that they are quite able to write a story with lead characters that just happen to be African Amercian that IS worth telling.
I would hope so. In fact, I'd say the Lion King was close, considering the African roots and setting.
And secondly, I never mentioned anything about "white guilt".
You didn't, I did. Without saying to much (This forum is supposed to stay free of politics), I believe that there is a line that is crossed when we become so "politically correct" that the motivation for certain issues is tied to race, rather than logic.
If the Disney Company can persue African American tourists, and hold Disney World contests on radio stations that target them, then surely, we could be included as main characters in an animated movie.
Could be, but as of yet, have not. However, I doubt that stems from racism.

Gmax

Wow, this certainly has been interesting. I finally found another great site to talk about one of my favorite places, only to run into yet another person who likes to argue online.

To the OP, I hope that my response was helpful to your question. To "Connor", I'm done. Have fun splitting this post up into a bunch of little quotes as well, and arguing with anyone else who responds to the question.

Connor002

Gmax said:
Wow, this certainly has been interesting. I finally found another great site to talk about one of my favorite places, only to run into yet another person who likes to argue online.
If you don't want debate, don't comment.
That's the only way to assure no debate, which, as it appears, it what you want.

I guess some people do not want discussion... on a discussion forum, of all places...
Gmax said:
To the OP, I hope that my response was helpful to your question. To "Connor", I'm done. Have fun splitting this post up into a bunch of little quotes as well, and arguing with anyone else who responds to the question.
Have fun... closing your mind to any viewpoint but your own.
Au revoir!

CaliSurfer182

I have never seen any proof of Mr. Disney being a racist, so until I do I will have to say I believe he wasn't. Even if he was what bearing does that have on my life today? I would have to say not much due to the fact Mr. Disney hasn't worked with TWDC for almost four decades now.

KrazyKemp

I respect Walt Disney and everything he accomplished in his life.

The man had more imagination than anyone I can think of, and accomplished more than most people can even dream.

Walt Disney, a family man who only wanted to build a safe place to take his children, away from the world as we know it, and allow all guests to enjoy his land.

Walt Disney may have been a racist, though I have never seen any sign of it. And if he was, it was only because of the time he was in.

The man's name will always be legendary. His dreams will never die.

No one will ever think of Walt Disney and think "racist", they will think of him and think "miracle worker".

Figment571

KrazyKemp said:
I respect Walt Disney and everything he accomplished in his life.

The man had more imagination than anyone I can think of, and accomplished more than most people can even dream.

Walt Disney, a family man who only wanted to build a safe place to take his children, away from the world as we know it, and allow all guests to enjoy his land.

Walt Disney may have been a racist, though I have never seen any sign of it. And if he was, it was only because of the time he was in.

The man's name will always be legendary. His dreams will never die.

No one will ever think of Walt Disney and think "racist", they will think of him and think "miracle worker".

Here Here! That is precisly what I beleive.:sohappy:

imagineer boy

Gmax said:
I believe that now the responsibilty falls on those currently in power at Disney. It is 2006, and Blacks still have not been featured in animated movies, nor are there any Black princes, or princesses.

Well, the lion king had many black voice actors. James Earl Jones was Mufasa, the girl who did the voice of young nala was black, and then there was Whoopi Goldberg as Shenzi.

Connor002

imagineer boy said:
Well, the lion king had many black voice actors. James Earl Jones was Mufasa, the girl who did the voice of young nala was black, and then there was Whoopi Goldberg as Shenzi.
Not to mention the stage version, of which the majority, or close to the majority, or the characters are played by African Americas.

In fact, as of when I saw it a few months ago, the role of Rafikki was casted to a woman from South Africa. (She was excellent, by the way)

prberk

ctwhalerman said:
That is so true, and I've never thought of it. There's even been an Arab princess (Jasmine) and a Chinese princess (Mulan), but still no prominent black characters in Disney movies.

It's not an animated character, but the Uncle Remus character in Song of the South was a familiar, wonderful black character, whose sunny outlook on life was uplifting despite his cercumstances.. and chose to share it with others outside of his race. It reflected some stereotypes, perhaps, but it also reflected reality and perception of the times (not only of the time the movie was made, but of the time in which the story was set, which was even earlier).

On a slightly different side of the subject, as for many of the black stereotypical characters of the past (as is usually brought up in this type of discussion), they reflected a mentality, often vaudevillian, that sometimes reflected the period, exaggerating characteristics and perceptions of many types of people, for good or bad. It was show business. And if you do not think that this type of stereotypical characterization is alive today in other forms, just look at rap music and its exaggerated stereotypes. I often wonder if the modern rappers will be seen in the future the same way that some of the older, song-and-dance stereotypes are seen today...

So, I think that racism and especially its perception in art is in part dependant on the times; but we don't need to whitewash the art of the past from its time period.

That said, I cannot for the life of me figure out why "Song of the South" (which looks to overcome) is more dangerous to society, and to blacks especially, than most of the lyrical content of modern rap... At least "Song of the South" taught morality tales with a "moral of the story" worth considering... and gave us a few good songs!

Paul

prberk

And back on topic, I think that "Saludos Amigos" and "The Three Caballeros" and "It's a Small World" ALL signal Walt's intent, at least, to reach out among the nations.. and the races.

Whether he started out thinking that way, who knows. But those projects are nothing if not optimistic about racial and international harmony, despite our cultural differences and perceptions.

Paul

The Mom said:
Just a hypothetical question.

If a researcher found a safe, effective treatment that cured all cancers, would you refuse to use it, or allow anyone in your family to use it, because that person was also a member of the KKK? Or would you celebrate the discovery but despise the discoverer?

As mentioned a gazillion times, it's wrong to try to judge past behavior based on today's standards. That doesn't mean that we should allow certain actions to continue just because "that's the way it's always been done" but we also should look at the INTENT of the actions.

People of Walt's era (which includes my parents) truly had no idea that their words and view of others was offensive to certain groups. It was so ingrained in them, that they had no conscious thought about it, nor any logical reason to support it. Trust me, I've been down that road, and hit a dead end.

It's hard for the younger generation to understand and appreciate how much things have changed in MY lifetime alone. My daughter will never be able to understand how I felt growing up in a world where so many doors were closed to me because I was a woman, nevermind how many MORE doors were closed to others because they were of a different race, religion, nationality, etc.

That doesn't mean that all of those doors are open today; it's just not as obvious that they're still locked. Nor should we stop striving to open them all. BUT, others of Walt's generation DID finally realize that their views were hateful and hurtful, and DID make changes. I would like to think that Walt would have realized this also, and changed his way of looking at and treating people.

Well said! :sohappy:

MMP

I get irritated when people confuse the word rascist with predjudice. What Walt and many of his contemporaries were back then was probably more predjudice than rascist, to me rascist is more of hatred towards other races and predjudice is a lack of understanding towards them.
And if DisneyLand was segregated it was probably more based on the county, not so much Walt himself.
It would be nice if Disney's feature films had more black representation but it is apparent to me that the company as a whole is getting closer to that, The Disney Channel has Raven-Symone as a main character on her on show and the cartoon "Proud Family" is about a black family. But something we must remember about Disney movies is that most of them lately have had talking fish and cars, not characters with a discernable race which is actually a wonderful thing if you think about it.

wedway71

Yes, Walt was a huge racist.He had such a hatred for minorities that he had a Hispanic named Rick Gonzales work on Sleeping Beauty.He was sooo hateful of other races that he employed an African American named Floyd Norman who made a life long career as an animator with Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom