If room rates are any indication....

danpam1024

Original Poster
So I am booking an April mini vacation (for MegaCon mostly) and was quite surprised at how the room rates (even for passholders) have skyrocketed at Universal. At HRH a "kidsuite" is $809/night (plus parking) for the time we are there:jawdrop:- HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! Granted, it IS spring break and all, but :jawdrop:! We've gone during that time before and have paid $615/nigh MAX ( and I thought THAT was insane). Just out of curiosity I checked a 1 bedroom villa at the Boardwalk (FL RES) and it was only $430/night- the last time I checked it was in the high $600's. Maybe Disney is starting to get it- they're not the only game in town anymore.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

So I am booking an April mini vacation (for MegaCon mostly) and was quite surprised at how the room rates (even for passholders) have skyrocketed at Universal. At HRH a "kidsuite" is $809/night (plus parking) for the time we are there:jawdrop:- HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! Granted, it IS spring break and all, but :jawdrop:! We've gone during that time before and have paid $615/nigh MAX ( and I thought THAT was insane). Just out of curiosity I checked a 1 bedroom villa at the Boardwalk (FL RES) and it was only $430/night- the last time I checked it was in the high $600's. Maybe Disney is starting to get it- they're not the only game in town anymore.

My god, those Uni prices ARE appalling...:p

BrianV

When is it? I'm looking at April 20-22, in the middle of spring break. They are out of kid suites at aph rate, but general rate is 579$. That same time, with aph rate, 2 queen rooms are 229$. And they are 174$ at rpr.

danpam1024

Original Poster
When is it? I'm looking at April 20-22, in the middle of spring break. They are out of kid suites at aph rate, but general rate is 579$. That same time, with aph rate, 2 queen rooms are 229$. And they are 174$ at rpr.
April 10-13. No discount the first 2 nights. My son's spring break is actually the week BEFORE. The only reason we're going is for MegaCon.

danpam1024

Original Poster
Frankly, if I didn't just have a $700 car repair 5 minutes after buying a brand new Harley, I probably would have booked it. I think the universe is telling me to calm the heck down LOL!

Donald Razorduck

I honestly believed the addition of rooms at Cabana Bay would drive the prices of the other hotels down but I've noticed it's the opposite.

If I had booked our week before Prezy Day Circus trip at UNI instead of focusing on all things Disney, a room at Cabana Bay with the two queens partitioned off with a sleeper sofa, kitchenette and two tvs was to run around 140 after taxes per night. Compare that to the cost of a Disney studio through Dave's or even renting direcall from an owner. You don't get the fast pass but you do get the early entry and midweek early Feb lines are likely nonexistent. All bets are off with the MG concerts on the weekends.

I got a friend in Dallas that is flying his family of 4 to Orlando for UNI vacation of 3 nights. They scored super cheap Spirit for a nonstop to Tampa, the car rental was super cheap and they booked Cabana Bay for the three nights, he was lamenting that the three for two park to park tickets for 4 were as much as the air, car and room. Being wise on the ways of Spirit, they have bought the under the seat bags that Costco sells.

Last edited:

tribbleorlfl

we go every year. I enjoy the moment and don't act like a tantruming child- life's too short for that ****! :D
There was NOTHING enjoyable about last year. While moving back to the West Concourse will help, it's become clear to me MC has grown too big for the current organizers to handle. I do miss the days of the Expo Center in the 90's when you could shop the vendor floor and get your comics singed in artist alley without participating in a bizarre version of the Hunger Games.

danpam1024

Original Poster
There was NOTHING enjoyable about last year. While moving back to the West Concourse will help, it's become clear to me MC has grown too big for the current organizers to handle. I do miss the days of the Expo Center in the 90's when you could shop the vendor floor and get your comics singed in artist alley without participating in a bizarre version of the Hunger Games.
I agree, last year was a mess, but you gotta make the best out of a bad situation- it was better than being at work :) and HOPEFULLY they have learned and are adjusting.

maddie_odair

My family tried to book a trip to Uni for 2 nights for this week around a month ago and it was almost $800 a person for room and park-to- park tickets. Needless to say we did not go but we are waiting to see if they run specials for sometime this summer. The prices there are completely insane

sknydave

I wouldn't say the prices are insane considering how much Disney resorts cost per night, but it is definitely depressing that I can't get a room at the Royal Pacific for 160 anymore. I booked for a quick weekend trip next month at Portofino and it was 300/night.

Le sigh.

BuddyThomas

These prices are truly insane but is it Easter week or something? A standard theme park view room at the Contemporary is well over $1,000 a night, even with the spring discount code.

danpam1024

Original Poster
These prices are truly insane but is it Easter week or something? A standard theme park view room at the Contemporary is well over $1,000 a night, even with the spring discount code.
IDK- my kid's Spring Break is the week before, but we always seem to go early. I booked a garden view for$404. Not too insane, but I remember paying $350 for a kidsuite no too terribly long ago. I'm afraid those days are over :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom