If I wanted to visit the Utilidor system....

Marc Gil

If you applied through the college program, it might carry more weight on a resume especially if you're studying something in hospitality. Keep in mind that the work won't be all that great. Most people do stuff like cashiers for example. Some kids who return do other jobs they consider more fun. I had an ex who back then performed a job called "super greeter." She basically walked around EPCOT and looked for people who seemed lost and helped them find their way.
Most people will tell you that they do treat you like crap. You're constantly working under the threat of being fired. They aren't as rough on U.S. residents because some do walk and tell them the typical "take this job.." and you know what. Foreigners are much more afraid. They are here earning U.S. currency which goes a long way back home and many fear that Disney could somehow prevent them from coming back to the U.S. if they're terminated from employment.
Yeah, I'm majoring in Hospitality over at FAU in Boca Raton. Next year, I was thinking of transferring to The Rosen College of Hospitality over at UCF, through the college program.

JIMINYCR

Yeah, I been there... not much to see and not worth getting kicked out for. It was the biggest let down of the tour. Even the guide on our tour couldnt say much to get us excited about it. Cement and odors.

0a7e068d_ed-norton-honeymooners_1.png

Look down the next open manhole you come to and youll be almost as excited as we were after being in the utilidor.

Horizons1

I asked because I was speaking to some cast member on whether or not I should to the college program or just apply normally, and they all quickly said to apply normally.

They said that all housing for the college students was disgusting, and that the students are wild and misbehaved. I mean, why wouldn't they? They're college kids!?
Sounds like heaven to me.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
No, it's serious. The place is a party town. Imagine an entire apartment complex with college kids not going to school and with a little money in their pocket. Not only was their Vista Way (Vista Lay) but there was also The Commons (The Condoms). Remember that everyone has a different work schedule so there is a party every night. For whatever reason, Disney attracts a lot of gay guys so straight guys have "options."

Been there...lived that for 6 months. Then I moved to Chatham Square where it was somewhat quieter ;)

bingie

In my years a never wore my id around my neck - always in my pocket. I knew where i was going and was, well...going there. So no one ever stopped me.

So, if you know you way around and won't look like a tourist you will probably be fine. Otherwise you will get walked out. Now, there's always the deserted Epcot tunnel system.

But really, the stuff above ground is far more interesting.

PigletIsMyCat

if you're not in costume, security will stop and ask why you're going down there, even if you look like you know where you're going. and when you get caught down there, i doubt they'll just walk you out - that's a BFD and i'm sure disney wouldn't take kindly to it. if you're absolutely dying to see the utilidors, which are boring and poorly ventilated and usually stinky, take the tour. don't get a job at disney just to see the utilidors because, guess what, you don't really get to pick where you work. if you sign up for food and beverage, they'll put you where they want. characters? they'll put you where they want. housekeeping? front desk? they'll put you where they want. sure, if you're a cm and you know where the utilidor entrances are you can enter them. but there's not really any guarantee you'll ever get to work at magic kingdom.

doing the college program will look good on your resume. you will be paid crap, expected to work tons of hours, have little free time, and have to share an apartment with other college kids. you will share a bedroom as well. you will get to pay way too much to share this bedroom. chatham is a bit quieter than vista way.

working there as a 'regular' cast member means you will be paid crap, expected to work up to and not exceeding your weekly hours (because no one likes to pay overtime unless absolutely necessary), have more of your own time depending on your schedule, and be responsible for your own housing. there are numerous decent apartment complexes in the area that are fairly affordable, and there are always cast members looking for apartment shares. you may need a car in this scenario, depending on which complex you live in because public bus service in the immediate area is 'eh'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom