If I wanted to visit the Utilidor system....

Tormidal

Original Poster
I'm highly interested in working at WDW for a summer, just as kind of a fun thing to do, and I was wondering if its possible to get a tour by a CM into the Utilidor system, to see what its like these days. (AdamTheWoo's and The Dark Side of Disney's videos are a few years old.)

Would it be possible to just ask a CM for a quick tour, or is it possible to just walk in, act like I know the place, and do some exploring?(ive seen a thread where CM's off-duty in tourist-y clothes have walked around without being questioned.)

Thanks in advance. :)

P.S.

I was also wondering about the CM dorms, my dad has a college friend who worked at WDW in the 80's, and the CM's had their own dorm for people that didn't live in the area. Is it a nice place to live temporarily, is it kind of a party dorm, or....?

roj2323

anyone who offered to do this would be fired. Getting caught in there without permission could get you arrested .

The tunnels are basically equivalent to the back hallways of a shopping mall. Lots of concrete, piping and occasionally the rancid smell of trash. There is honestly not much to see. It is just a transportation system no different than a parking garage. If you do insist upon seeing them you can Do the Keys to the kingdom tour.

As for CP housing they are just your average apartment complex with security who acts more like the nazi SS at times, builders grade furnishings and absurdly high rent. If you know any CP's they can sign you in if you want to check them out.

Tom

Beta Return
Take a tour and keep it legal. Do NOT venture down there on your own. That's trespassing and Disney takes it seriously. Would certainly prevent you from ever working there.

Disney has a couple apartment complexes. One is more known as being the "party" one, but all are fairly closely monitored. You'll want to talk to a current or former CPer about those.

Jakester

Simple, if you want backstage access, become a WDW Employee. Anybody backstage without either a Disney Company ID, a "operational participant" ID, or approval from management WILL/WILL MOST LIKELY BE arrested for trespassing. TBH, it's not all what you think it is backstage. Just go behind your local walmart that's the closest you'll get.

As a former cast member for five years, I can tell you for certain that no one will stop you as long as you look like you know where you're going. If you're looking around slack jawed taking pictures, yes you will be stopped. The utilitidors were the only way my friends and I traveled through the park when visiting.

Cmdr_Crimson

Would it be possible to just ask a CM for a quick tour, or is it possible to just walk in, act like I know the place, and do some exploring?(ive seen a thread where CM's off-duty in tourist-y clothes have walked around without being questioned.)

If you did that...I think you'd get a Magical letter from Disney..Like this one I found on Google..
file_204095_2_banned-from-disney-world.jpg

So in short: TAKE THE TOURS!

Backstage Magic: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/backstage-magic/
Keys to The Kingdom:https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/keys-to-the-kingdom-tour/

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
As a former CM - I worked extra hours at MK numerous times and got the 'honor' to use the utilidor system. It's nothing worth getting in trouble over. IMO they're nothing to look at. Especially since they moved costuming outside of the MK. They tend to stink in the summer (because of the garbage suck-o-rama device) and there's nothing to look at...

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Highly recommend the Keys to the Kingdom tour. You get to look at a good amount of the utilidors, and other backstage areas, and you also learn a lot about the park and Walt Disney himself. It also includes a full lunch in the middle of the tour. We would even do it again. :)

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I'm getting two kinds of views here... Dark Side makes it out to be like nobody cares at all, but everyone here makes it out to be that they are totally secured at all times.
(Either way I would never go down there and neither should you unless you have permission :cautious:)

SMS55

Do I detect sarcasm?

No, it's serious. The place is a party town. Imagine an entire apartment complex with college kids not going to school and with a little money in their pocket. Not only was their Vista Way (Vista Lay) but there was also The Commons (The Condoms). Remember that everyone has a different work schedule so there is a party every night. For whatever reason, Disney attracts a lot of gay guys so straight guys have "options."

CP_alum08

There are plenty of videos online, just watch those. The tunnels are grey and boring, the most exciting you might see is a "character" missing it's head, really nothing to get in legal trouble over!

I don't know about "dorms" for CMs but there are several apartment complexes. If you know where the outlet mall is, a couple of them are in behind that. Those are pretty easy to get in to as long as you know someone loving there. And yes, they are pretty crazy. Someone already said it, but you get thousands of college kids together with no school, no responsibilities, and a little money...crazy things are bound to happen.

Marc Gil

No. Vista Lay was awesome for one thing.
I asked because I was speaking to some cast member on whether or not I should to the college program or just apply normally, and they all quickly said to apply normally.

They said that all housing for the college students was disgusting, and that the students are wild and misbehaved. I mean, why wouldn't they? They're college kids!?

SMS55

I asked because I was speaking to some cast member on whether or not I should to the college program or just apply normally, and they all quickly said to apply normally.

If you applied through the college program, it might carry more weight on a resume especially if you're studying something in hospitality. Keep in mind that the work won't be all that great. Most people do stuff like cashiers for example. Some kids who return do other jobs they consider more fun. I had an ex who back then performed a job called "super greeter." She basically walked around EPCOT and looked for people who seemed lost and helped them find their way.
Most people will tell you that they do treat you like crap. You're constantly working under the threat of being fired. They aren't as rough on U.S. residents because some do walk and tell them the typical "take this job.." and you know what. Foreigners are much more afraid. They are here earning U.S. currency which goes a long way back home and many fear that Disney could somehow prevent them from coming back to the U.S. if they're terminated from employment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom