Id for kids?

marine1

yes they will need their passports and birth certificates. airlines is tightening it again. wdw will only need their passports showing them who the kids belong to. just as a formality nothing to be worried about. we have had some attempted kidnappings recently so any id would be helpful.

baz212

yes they will need their passports and birth certificates. airlines is tightening it again. wdw will only need their passports showing them who the kids belong to. just as a formality nothing to be worried about. we have had some attempted kidnappings recently so any id would be helpful.
Why would a kid need a passport unless it's the cruise or you are coming from out of the country? Passports are expensive and currentlt take a very long time to get with new regulations.

Nansafan

Last time I flew anyone 16 or older needed a government issued ID i.e. drivers license, state ID, passport etc. Anyone under 16 were not required to show identification. Disney has never asked any of the children traveling with me for an ID. When my son started traveling without me (his uncle would take him to WDW) I got him an Illinois State ID just so that he had identification in case of emergency. He was 9 then. The Sky Cap was really cute that trip too. I dropped them off at curbside check-in and my brother and cousin showed their ID so my son showed his too. The Sky Cap checked all ID's and said "Thank you Mr. Kriescher" to my son like he was some big shot executive type and here was this dorky looking 9 year old boy.

Jessie&Buzz

We went to AAA and got our kids a photo id. They were 8 and 4. It was just a piece of paper that had their pic, info and was notorized. Nothing fancy. It was also free since we booked through AAA. Not one person asked for id for them. It was nice to have but not needed.

The Mom

Premium Member
My 14 year old has not been asked to show ID when flying or entering WDW. He has a photo ID (student) that he brings, just in case.

He would only need his passport if we were leaving the country.

tigsmom

Last time I flew anyone 16 or older needed a government issued ID i.e. drivers license, state ID, passport etc. Anyone under 16 were not required to show identification. Disney has never asked any of the children traveling with me for an ID. When my son started traveling without me (his uncle would take him to WDW) I got him an Illinois State ID just so that he had identification in case of emergency. He was 9 then. The Sky Cap was really cute that trip too. I dropped them off at curbside check-in and my brother and cousin showed their ID so my son showed his too. The Sky Cap checked all ID's and said "Thank you Mr. Kriescher" to my son like he was some big shot executive type and here was this dorky looking 9 year old boy.

When we flew in March everyone needed to show a photo ID and that included my 12 y/o. She used her school issued ID. She was asked both here in NY and Orlando. Its a good idea for everyone to carry ID anyway, just in case the unthinkable happens.

KingStefan

When we travelled in Oct '07, my DD13 and DD9 had no ID at all, and were not asked for them. They have passports and certified birth certificates, but we just didn't think to bring them, but nobody asked them for ID the whole trip. We were on two trips there in 2005, and same thing: nobody asked even once (one by air and one by private car).

Of course, if you're coming from another country, then that's different. It would depend on the country you are entering from and the traveller's nationality. I don't know the rules exactly. But inside the US I've never needed ID for my kids - even post 9/11.

kstella

When I travel with my kids (15 and 13) they are not asked for ID. The security people at the airport have asked my son his date of birth since he is taller than me and could potentially be a young looking 18. My daughter has never been asked. But, since they have them anyway I always have them grab their school ID's, just in case. As with anything, check with your airline if you're not sure. Disney has never asked for an ID.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
For international travellers entering the U.S., a passport for each person is a must - most anywhere else it's a really good idea. Also, if you're a parent traveling with a child under 16 and the other parent is not accompanying you, be sure to have either a notarized letter of permission from the other parent or that parent's death certificate. They are very careful about children traveling with only one parent.

The Canadian Government provides a sample consent letter at: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/consent_letter-en.asp

coasterphil

IDs have only been asked for from those 18 years and older whenever I've flown. Those were all domestic, internationally I'd assume would be quite different.

lilclerk

well the rules have been changed and updated. for saftey the homeland security dept has been working overtime to ensure new safety procudures are in place.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1188939218061.shtm

But that's for traveling between the US and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda. Not if you're staying in the US. It depends where the OP is flying from.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/index.shtm#2

That says "Children are not required to show identification." I'm going to guess that "children" means under 18. But you may want to get a state ID just in case, it's always good to have one anyway.

coasterphil

What aren't you getting. Flying from a US location to a US location does not require the things you have stated. The new rules are only for leaving the country.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom