Ice/Norway 2015 cruise Lets discuss our trip plans

Disneyfalcon

I wonder if this change is due to the controversial annual whale slaughters in the Faroe Islands. I was actually pretty surprised that Disney was stopping there because of that. Opinions differ widely on the subject, but I would imagine Disney would face some criticism for having that port on their itinerary. Just a thought!

I'm actually quite excited about Scotland. Just a quick google search on Kirkwall looks intriguing.

That's very interesting you brought that up. That's the first thing my husband said when I told him Faroe Islands was a stop. Whale Wars did the island no favors. :)

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
I wonder if this change is due to the controversial annual whale slaughters in the Faroe Islands. I was actually pretty surprised that Disney was stopping there because of that. Opinions differ widely on the subject, but I would imagine Disney would face some criticism for having that port on their itinerary. Just a thought!

I'm actually quite excited about Scotland. Just a quick google search on Kirkwall looks intriguing.

I googled Kirkwall the second I got my email I was so excited to be going to Scotland!!!

Although I know animal activist want no whale hunting at all some cultures it is just a way of life.I honestly do not mind whale hunting for native reasons which is what they do on this Island. I do not believe it is like the Japan operation that slaughters them for sale on the market and for one am glad they have been shut down in the Australia area for now!!!

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
So I ask my more experienced cruise friend here will there be a semi or a formal night on the 11 night ice land/norway cruise? I was reading through the FAQ and noticed they have these nights on 7 night or longer cruises

Also could someone tell me about brunch at Palo/Remy? is there a menu anywhere I can look?

Is the pool on the Magic heated? I know it wont be really hot where we will be sailing.

Disneyfalcon

So I ask my more experienced cruise friend here will there be a semi or a formal night on the 11 night ice land/norway cruise? I was reading through the FAQ and noticed they have these nights on 7 night or longer cruises

Also could someone tell me about brunch at Palo/Remy? is there a menu anywhere I can look?

Is the pool on the Magic heated? I know it wont be really hot where we will be sailing.

There will probably be a formal night and two semi-formals. :)

There won't be Remy because there is no Remy on the Magic. Palo will have brunch though! And it's amazing! It's $25 a person and there is an amazing buffet as well as cooked to order items. I have a ton of pictures in my Med cruise trip report from our last brunch on the Magic. Let me find the link...

It is heated when needed.

ChuckElias

Tammy is beating me to all these threads this morning! :mad:

I was going to say that there would probably be two formal nights, but I just looked through my "Northern Captials" trip report, and Tammy is right (of course). There was one Formal night on that itinerary. I probably wore my tux for one of the semi-formal night, which is why I was a little confused.

I was a little disappointed by my last Palo brunch on the Fantasy. It was good, but not as good as previous trips. My chicken parm was average, at best. I think we will probably do dinner instead. (Unless my wife insists on both. Which is pretty likely, now that I think about it.)

And believe it or not, we saw some brave souls in the Wonder's pool during our Alaska itinerary, so yeah, the pools are heated. :) But we might not need it. When we did the Baltic itinerary in 2010, we had temps consistently in the 80s and 90s all week (except in Oslo), including record highs in St. Petersburg. Not saying that will happen again, but you never know.

Disneyfalcon

Tammy is beating me to all these threads this morning! :mad:

I was going to say that there would probably be two formal nights, but I just looked through my "Northern Captials" trip report, and Tammy is right (of course). There was one Formal night on that itinerary. I probably wore my tux for one of the semi-formal night, which is why I was a little confused.

I was a little disappointed by my last Palo brunch on the Fantasy. It was good, but not as good as previous trips. My chicken parm was average, at best. I think we will probably do dinner instead. (Unless my wife insists on both. Which is pretty likely, now that I think about it.)

And believe it or not, we saw some brave souls in the Wonder's pool during our Alaska itinerary, so yeah, the pools are heated. :) But we might not need it. When we did the Baltic itinerary in 2010, we had temps consistently in the 80s and 90s all week (except in Oslo), including record highs in St. Petersburg. Not saying that will happen again, but you never know.

Ha! It's the timezone advantage! It was still last night when I saw them! :) Normally it's a disadvantage!

We swam in the pools in Alaska and the temperature was perfect! I was amazed and wished we'd done it more. But you're right, it won't be like Alaska.

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
@ChuckElias and @Disneyfalcon I knew I could count on you ;). So @ChuckElias do you own a Tux? I can't see buying one for 1 time wear but I do not see a place renting me one for the time we will be traveling :cautious:. Hmmm

On another note, yeay I get to go dress shopping!!!

I am a pool fanatic :inlove: and am sure I will be spending the at sea days in the adult pool relaxing !

TY again for the info. I am sure I will have more questions.

Actually I do have another . I know the smoking policy on verandas has changed. Would they adjust this policy for European cruises considering they are not as regulated in Europe?

ChuckElias

So ChuckElias do you own a Tux? I can't see buying one for 1 time wear but I do not see a place renting me one for the time we will be traveling :cautious:. Hmmm
Yes, I own a tux. We had been on a few cruises and I had always worn a jacket and tie for Formal Night, but decided to buy one to surprise my wife for the next time we sailed. I have used it on nearly every cruise since then. It was very affordable (less than $200) and I've gotten at least a dozen uses out of it. I purchased it at a Formal Wear store and they made it quite easy.

If you'd like to rent formal wear, just to see if you enjoy being that dressy, there are companies that will deliver to your cruise ship. Disney recommends this one: http://www.cruiselineformal.com/cf_pages/?c=dcl

I am a pool fanatic :inlove: and am sure I will be spending the at sea days in the adult pool relaxing !
I'm sure there will be ample opportunity.

I know the smoking policy on verandas has changed. Would they adjust this policy for European cruises considering they are not as regulated in Europe?
I'm not a smoker, so to be honest, I can't remember if there was any change made to the policies while I was in the Med in '07 or the Baltic in '10. But looking through the DCL website, there's no mention of changing the current policy during the Europe sailings:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/health-safety/smoking/

ChuckElias

So who is currently scheduled to be on the Iceland sailing? So far, it looks like me (and my sister's family), StalkingMickey, SoarinFan and DisneyHeather. (It looks like Tammy, Plaz10 and Anthony are on the 7-nighter to Norway.)

Anybody else from the forum headed to Iceland and Scotland?

Disneyfalcon

So who is currently scheduled to be on the Iceland sailing? So far, it looks like me (and my sister's family), StalkingMickey, SoarinFan and DisneyHeather. (It looks like Tammy, Plaz10 and Anthony are on the 7-nighter to Norway.)

Anybody else from the forum headed to Iceland and Scotland?

Close! DisneyHeather and I are on the 9 night. I'd love to do the 11 night, but the timing is sketchy for us.

Bolna

I am on the 7 night Norway cruise as well - with my lovely sister! She needs to get the cruise bug! :D

For us this is the "cheap budget cruise" as we don't have to pay a lot for flights across the Atlantic. Should be less than 100 € each to get to Copenhagen by train!

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Ok another question but more about the Magic itself. We are on the same deck as the Bridge. Do they enter the deck from the hallways of the rooms or do they have their own entrance from somewhere else. Curious about how much noise or traffic I may experience being 1 stateroom down from bridge per the deck plans.

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Yes, I own a tux. We had been on a few cruises and I had always worn a jacket and tie for Formal Night, but decided to buy one to surprise my wife for the next time we sailed. I have used it on nearly every cruise since then. It was very affordable (less than $200) and I've gotten at least a dozen uses out of it. I purchased it at a Formal Wear store and they made it quite easy.

If you'd like to rent formal wear, just to see if you enjoy being that dressy, there are companies that will deliver to your cruise ship. Disney recommends this one: http://www.cruiselineformal.com/cf_pages/?c=dcl

I'm sure there will be ample opportunity.

I'm not a smoker, so to be honest, I can't remember if there was any change made to the policies while I was in the Med in '07 or the Baltic in '10. But looking through the DCL website, there's no mention of changing the current policy during the Europe sailings:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/health-safety/smoking/

Thanks for the link I will check it out. I really don't see him needing a tux for any other time so many renting one is best.

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
The next thing that I thought of was how do you pay for things when you go off boat at port o_O ?

Normally when we have traveled to Mexico and other Caribbean places we would use our credit card so we would get the best exchange rate, but CC companies are starting to charge fees for international use. I will need to check with my CC company.

I know lots of people have the Disney Visa. has anyone use it abroad and would know if they have fee for international use?

I hate to do cash because I never knew what I may spend and have never used travelers checks if they even have them anymore lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom