Ice Cream Sandwich Question

JillC LI

Original Poster
We were in Epcot last week, and I ordered an ice cream sandwich from the ice cream shop next to Club Cool. I took out my card to put it on our DDP, and they said it was not included as a Snack so I paid cash. I could swear that I remember it being a Snack on the DDP when I ordered one from the Main Street Bakery in MK in October 2009. Am I remembering wrong? Did the rules change? Is it different in different parks?

EvilQueen-T

that happened A LOT a few years ago when the dining plan was still on the newer side. it sounds like you may have just been served by a new cm with the wrong info.

Rob562

Technically, each location decided what they do or don't offer as a Snack credit. So it's quite possible that an ice cream sandwich at the Fountainview in Epcot isn't a Snack credit, but the other 4 locations are.

On the DDP, the only items that a location *must* offer as a Snack credit are those items listed in the brochure: bottled soda & water, fountain soda, hot coffee/tea, ice cream novelty, box of popcorn, piece of fruit. Beyond that, the location can decide what to offer.

-Rob

disneygirl1

i personally WISH they would just say a snack is any food/drink item xxx dollars or less.

I TOTALLY agree with you... In the past I thought that anything $4 and under could be used as a snack? It seems that they have been getting a little more stricter in the last year regarding what constitutes as a "snack" Very disappointing to me! :shrug:

maelstrom

On the DDP, the only items that a location *must* offer as a Snack credit are those items listed in the brochure: bottled soda & water, fountain soda, hot coffee/tea, ice cream novelty, box of popcorn, piece of fruit. Beyond that, the location can decide what to offer.

Isn't an ice cream sandwich an ice cream novelty?

And I thought that everything under $4 was considered a snack on the DDP.

Dwarful

They have gotten really crazy with what is and isn't a snack on the ddp...which means you really have to work to make it a value if you are paying for it. For example you can get a funnel cake at MK for a snack credit...but you can't get the exact same size funnel cake for a snack credit at Epcot...I don't know why, but you can't. We could get $4 fudge or other chocolates at the candy shop on Main Street USA but my daughter couldn't get a $2.99 pixie stix candy tube...they said the tube was considered a souvineer...really????

I think they have really been tightening the belt on these things so to speak because so many people were getting larger bottles of soda, milk, donuts, etc., that clearly were not meant for one person but fell under the $4 price range.

JillC LI

Original Poster
I used a snack credit for the ice cream sandwich at the same stand (I think) on March 3rd.

Really? Well that really annoys me. It would be one thing if the Fountainview had just set different rules from the Main Street Bakery, but if they're telling different people different things, well that's just not right.

Rob562

Isn't an ice cream sandwich an ice cream novelty?

And I thought that everything under $4 was considered a snack on the DDP.

No, an ice cream novelty is a pre-packaged ice cream treat, like the Mickey ice cream bars, mostly sold at carts. The old Nestle Tollhouse pre-packaged sandwiches that are now gone from the parks would've fallen under the "novelty" title. But anything that's hand-made/assembled (like the sandwich, an ice cream cone, a sundae, etc) isn't a novelty. (Though in most places such items *are* snacks)

And the "under $4" thing isn't an official rule, just a simple guideline that people have come up with that covers *most* situations. For example, a few years ago at Flame Tree BBQ, even though both were under $4 a basket of onion rings *was* a Snack, but the cheaper basket of fries was not.

-Rob

maelstrom

No, an ice cream novelty is a pre-packaged ice cream treat, like the Mickey ice cream bars, mostly sold at carts. The old Nestle Tollhouse pre-packaged sandwiches that are now gone from the parks would've fallen under the "novelty" title. But anything that's hand-made/assembled (like the sandwich, an ice cream cone, a sundae, etc) isn't a novelty. (Though in most places such items *are* snacks)

And the "under $4" thing isn't an official rule, just a simple guideline that people have come up with that covers *most* situations. For example, a few years ago at Flame Tree BBQ, even though both were under $4 a basket of onion rings *was* a Snack, but the cheaper basket of fries was not.

-Rob

I guess I was picturing the pre-packaged ice cream sandwiches from the carts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom