iCan Robot; Out of Place?

PortOrleans

Original Poster
Traveling around Tomorrowland, iCan strikes up conversations with guests, using his chest-mounted display to provide guests with information.

iCan_Full_30109.jpg

Image; iCan Robot in action

Though advancements in technology are certainly appreciated throughout the Walt Disney World Resort, I feel as though the aesthetics of this robot blend poorly with their surroundings.

What are your thoughts on this newcomer to the Tomorrowland area of the Magic Kingdom?

TheOrangeBird01

The iCan robot seems so much like something that would have been part of the 1994 Tomorrowland, and I feel like he kind of keeps TL in that era which I feel isn't the direction Disney wants to keep going. For that reason (and the fact that he's kind of creepy) I'd rather he leave and we get a different kind of entertainment for the area. Something more like Push.

PortOrleans

Original Poster
If you're going to have an interactive robot in MK, where would be more appropriate than TL? And how does it not "blend properly" with the TL surroundings?. Come to that, why would you want it to blend in? Wouldn't it be better for it to stand out?

Hmm, fair point. Push {reference} http://attractionsmagazine.com/push...-final-appearance-19-years-walt-disney-world/ , a talking trash can in Tomorrowland, seemed more Disney-esque. Though I can see how Tomorrowland fits the bill for an interactive robot, it just doesn't sit right. However, maybe it will grow on me, who knows?

TheOrangeBird01

If you're going to have an interactive robot in MK, where would be more appropriate than TL? And how does it not "blend properly" with the TL surroundings?. Come to that, why would you want it to blend in? Wouldn't it be better for it to stand out?

He stands out (like a sore thumb) against the new Tomorrowland look. The designs clash, and Disney is in the process of fixing it. iCan fits perfectly with TL94, but it's no longer 1994.

HMF

The iCan robot seems so much like something that would have been part of the 1994 Tomorrowland, and I feel like he kind of keeps TL in that era which I feel isn't the direction Disney wants to keep going. For that reason (and the fact that he's kind of creepy) I'd rather he leave and we get a different kind of entertainment for the area. Something more like Push.
I don't think the 94 aesthetic is all horrible. Just needs a bit of updating and less clutter.

HMF

He stands out (like a sore thumb) against the new Tomorrowland look. The designs clash, and Disney is in the process of fixing it. iCan fits perfectly with TL94, but it's no longer 1994.
New Tomorrowland Look? Last I checked the overwhelming majority of Tomorrowland still looks like it did in 1994. Will that change? Maybe but I wouldn't assume anything until I see the finished product.

JIMINYCR

I like the concept and think Disney should do more guest interactive things throughout all the lands of MK. Push was fun to watch with the kids, iCan seems more visible and approachable. Design wise I think it still fits and serves a function of giving something more for guests to react to in the area.

WEDwaydatamover

I think that the ultra low tech PUSH had more charm any day of the week. Even Francis the inanimate Epcot robot had WOW! factor.

iCan, not so much... I think he would be more at place in a mall or at a fair on display.

I hope a canopy tent awaits iCan in the future Tomorrowland.

Maybe Imagineering can get to work on a roaming Timekeeper and 9 eyes.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

Traveling around Tomorrowland, iCan strikes up conversations with guests, using his chest-mounted display to provide guests with information.

iCan_Full_30109.jpg

Though advancements in technology are certainly appreciated throughout the Walt Disney World Resort, I feel as though the aesthetics of this robot blend poorly with their surroundings.

What are your thoughts on this newcomer to the Tomorrowland area of the Magic Kingdom?
Blend poorly with the surroundings?? Perhaps WDW should put it on Tom Sawyer Island??? It's TOMORROW LAND

FettFan

iCan_Full_30109.jpg

If he were any more stuck in the 90's, he'd be sponsored by the Burger King Kids' Club and handing out free AOL CDs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom