I wish I had seen it....

Chrononymous

Original Poster
Do you have any regrets about past attractions?

Maybe you were too young or scared to ride a certain attraction, or maybe it was gone before you ever even visited...

What are the rides, shows or parades that you wished you could have experienced first hand?

piratetreasure

I remember on my first trip in 2005 when I was 8 I did The Living Seas before it went under it's Nemo overhaul and I barely remember what it was like. Sad, isn't it?

Chrononymous

Original Poster
I remember on my first trip in 2005 when I was 8 I did The Living Seas before it went under it's Nemo overhaul and I barely remember what it was like. Sad, isn't it?

Not that sad...I saw the Living Seas 4 separate times starting when I was 21...and I barely remember it!

I think Mickey Mouse review is the thing I regret not seeing the most.

Pretty much the only thing I missed at WDW.
(everything else I wanted to see was at DL!)

I continue to feel blessed that I was able to experience all the original Epcot attractions, and many of the other things mentioned here.

They were rides and attractions that I can definitely say inspired me and shaped the way I dream and design in my current work.

EPCOT Explorer

I wish I remembered more of the original UoE. I know the other ones, but the UoE memory is very spotty.

Wish I had seen the Original SSE with Perrin. And the original IllumiNations shows.

Nemo14

I think I remember seeing the swan boats in MK, but I really don't remember any details of them. Everything else I remember pretty clearly, and miss immensely.

Geoff

I remember loving horizons as a young chap, and being terrified of 20,000 leagues! Always scared of the whole giant squid thing.. the walk through ride in Paris scared me too although I love the whole Jules Vearne design

rodserling27

I never got to see the Mickey Mouse Revue....or the original Tiki Room! (Or if I did, the memory is VERY fuzzy...). I also wish I could remember more of the original Universe of Energy. I remember hating it as a kid...I'm thankful for YouTube, but it's just not the same as being there!!!

OH!! And the original Snow White's Scary Adventures. I went on it once, and don't remember a thing about it.

MKCP 1985

This thread really makes me appreciate all the things I've enjoyed in their time at Walt Disney World - things that aren't around anymore. I've seen just about all the good stuff at all four parks. There are very few notable attractions that opened and closed before we were able to check them out.

- I guess the one thing I never saw that I'd like to have seen is the parade they had at Epcot back before Y2K What was that called? Tapestry of Nations?

Given all the things that have open and closed, I consider myself very fortunate.

Big Ben

I remember it being kinda like a big aquarium that you rode through, there may have been more, I just don't remember

Eagle-

I had the good fortune to go to disney nearly every year in the 80s. All of these rides you guys mention are the exact ones that I am sad to see gone.

I never got to ride the original STAR JETS, so that would be my one regret. :shrug: I regret that my son won't get to ride Mission to Mars or Mr Toad.

I loved the living seas and other 'brainy' Epcot attractions.
This was the era when they had just found the Titanic, ROVs and Submersibles like ALVIN were in the news...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Horizons opened on October 1, 1983 and sadly closed on January 9, 1999. In this window of time it only began to enter the era of digital photography where it's now possible to snap everything with zero processing costs, thereby creating a valuable record of things we see that would otherwise only live on in our memories.
Unlike other Disney and Epcot attractions that have a prolific number of tribute videos and photo galleries which are added to daily with every park visit, Horizons photos are comparatively rare. And there's no opportunity to take any more...
Mesa_Verde.jpg

A still from the "Choose Your Tomorrow" ending for desert
© Disney
poster.jpg

Attraction poster exploiting the 'spaceship' appearance of the pavilion
© General Electric
brava_centauri_art.jpg

Brava Centauri artwork
© Disney
nova_cite_art.jpg

Nova Cite artwork
© Disney
nova_cite_living_room.jpg

Nova Cite living room depicting grandfather and grandmother (narrators)
© Disney
desert_daughter.jpg

The desert grandaughter talks to Tom as he laser locks his solo sub
subrepairbay.jpg

Here's Tom in the repair bay
hovercraft.jpg

The desert daughter's hovercraft in the orange grove
(believe it or not, this prop is now at Disneyland Paris!)
brava_centauri_arrival.jpg

The family arrive at Brava Centauri space station
© Disney
horizons_guide.jpg

Horizons page from Epcot guide book.
Thanks to Caroline for the scan!
© Disney
pin.jpg

In 2005 a pin badge was released to commemorate the attraction
See photos of Horizons merchandise
nametag.jpg

There were a handful of GE cast members who worked the Horizons attraction. They did not wear the normal nametag that the rest of the WDW cast members wore.
Photo thanks to Benson Myers at www.nametagmuseum.com
scu.jpg

A Horizons show control unit (removed from attraction)​

Sketch105

Alien Encounter. I was going to MK since it opened and closed, and can't believe I didn't take at least one chance to see it while it was there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom