I thought I saw her again today.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
So my long-haired-calico named Charm has been missing for years now, but every now and then I think I see her. Happened again today.
Now mind you, she was almost 10 when she went missing, and that has been years ago, so if she somehow wound up at another home, she would not still be around.
To ease the hurt when we gave up looking for her, I just convinced myself that she wandered off and someone found her and decided to keep her for themselves and gave her a good, loving home.
Of course, the cat I saw today was not Charm Roofcat (She used to climb a tree near the carport, hop onto the roof and sun herself at the very top of the roof, on the ridge vent. Guess she liked the view up there.)
Anyway, I miss that furball. I used to love it when she climbed up in my lap to be brushed. She seemed to like it too, but after awhile, when she had enough brushing, she would just reach out and slap away the brush. That meant she was finished with the brushing for now.
She liked to climb under the Christmas tree and hang out with the packages. She did not disturb them or try to unwrap anything, just liked cuddling up there.
Anyway, here are a few pics:

Charm.jpg Charm2.jpg Charm3.jpg

epcotisbest

Original Poster
I forgot to mention, she was a throwaway. Someone abandoned her in a cardboard box at a gas station and I found her while pumping gas one evening on the way home. She was no more than the size of a tennis ball, but much cuter. How someone could do that is beyond me, but she was a blessing to us.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I forgot to mention, she was a throwaway. Someone abandoned her in a cardboard box at a gas station and I found her while pumping gas one evening on the way home. She was no more than the size of a tennis ball, but much cuter. How someone could do that is beyond me, but she was a blessing to us.

I am glad that you gave her a loving home for the majority of her life. It sounds corny, but I always think that we will be reunited with our pets in heaven some day.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
So my long-haired-calico named Charm has been missing for years now, but every now and then I think I see her. Happened again today.
Now mind you, she was almost 10 when she went missing, and that has been years ago, so if she somehow wound up at another home, she would not still be around.
To ease the hurt when we gave up looking for her, I just convinced myself that she wandered off and someone found her and decided to keep her for themselves and gave her a good, loving home.
Of course, the cat I saw today was not Charm Roofcat (She used to climb a tree near the carport, hop onto the roof and sun herself at the very top of the roof, on the ridge vent. Guess she liked the view up there.)
Anyway, I miss that furball. I used to love it when she climbed up in my lap to be brushed. She seemed to like it too, but after awhile, when she had enough brushing, she would just reach out and slap away the brush. That meant she was finished with the brushing for now.
She liked to climb under the Christmas tree and hang out with the packages. She did not disturb them or try to unwrap anything, just liked cuddling up there.
Anyway, here are a few pics:

View attachment 151718 View attachment 151719 View attachment 151720
At least she was UNDER and not IN the tree! :cat:

image.jpeg

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Oh, your Charm looks like my Duchess (deceased these past several years, but she passed in my arms, so I know she's gone) but that Duchess was just black and white, a long-haired beauty!!

Your story reminds me of my Freddy, a lovable white-and-marmalade gent that my brother brought home as a kitten. We loved him lots, he was an indoor/outdoor kitty, and after I got married and left the homestead to just my dad and my brother, he seemed to come home less and less, and then we never saw him again. To this day (and I've been married for 30 years), I believe that Fred just went and found another family. I don't want to know any different. In my mind, he's still happily living with that other family. :)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

We think that Duchess was a throwaway too, because she was quite skittish of people for a while (except for us, she loved us very much instantly). Difference being that she was bigger than a tennis ball, we figure she was about 18 months when we took her in, although she was small because she was malnourished. We enjoyed her company for 13 years.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
So sorry for your loss. :( I hope she is living a lovely life wherever she landed.

I just read a story of a dispute of kitty that for years lived with a family 3 doors down from where she was lost. Became an indoor kitty so nobody knew. When discovered the new family wouldn't give her back. They're going to court. A loved kitty.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Oh, your Charm looks like my Duchess (deceased these past several years, but she passed in my arms, so I know she's gone) but that Duchess was just black and white, a long-haired beauty!!

Your story reminds me of my Freddy, a lovable white-and-marmalade gent that my brother brought home as a kitten. We loved him lots, he was an indoor/outdoor kitty, and after I got married and left the homestead to just my dad and my brother, he seemed to come home less and less, and then we never saw him again. To this day (and I've been married for 30 years), I believe that Fred just went and found another family. I don't want to know any different. In my mind, he's still happily living with that other family. :)
Yes, firmly believing Charm (she also ignored Charmy, Charmcat and hey you) was living at another home bringing them joy and attitude helped. I still believe she had a good retirement.
Duchess and Freddy sound like blessings too.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
We think that Duchess was a throwaway too, because she was quite skittish of people for a while (except for us, she loved us very much instantly). Difference being that she was bigger than a tennis ball, we figure she was about 18 months when we took her in, although she was small because she was malnourished. We enjoyed her company for 13 years.
Maybe something about a throwaway's questionable past make them more open to being loved.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
So sorry for your loss. :( I hope she is living a lovely life wherever she landed.

I just read a story of a dispute of kitty that for years lived with a family 3 doors down from where she was lost. Became an indoor kitty so nobody knew. When discovered the new family wouldn't give her back. They're going to court. A loved kitty.
Thanks for the kind words. So many animals are not loved. Some are loved beyond words.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Our Pekingese of 16 years named Ivory has been gone for about 8 years now. I went out and picked some weeds from his grave this morning. We buried him near the Japanese maple in our yard. It took many years before we were able to get another dog, because he was our treasure. We now have a Maltese and Maltipoo, and both of them are simply crazy. Ivory was different. Tyson and Snow are, at least to me, pets. Ivory was a family member. Maybe I have not warmed up to the current two as much because I was so close to Ivory and don''t want to go through the hurt of losing them someday too.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Howie was our first cat by which none others can compare. He was a family member for only 10 years and losing him was devastating. So I understand what you mean about Ivory.

Poly and Kona are wonderful and fun, but they will never hold the place in our hearts that Howie did. :cry:

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Howie was our first cat by which none others can compare. He was a family member for only 10 years and losing him was devastating. So I understand what you mean about Ivory.

Poly and Kona are wonderful and fun, but they will never hold the place in our hearts that Howie did. :cry:
So I am not the only one. Thanks for the affirmation. Charm and Ivory were, to us, family members. Part of me wishes their memory would just fade, but another part clings to the good times and special moments they brought to our lives, and I would not want to forget that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom