I just read this about tourist traps...makes no sense.

musketeer

Original Poster
I just saw an article on MSN about the worst tourist traps in the country, and for some reason, Epcot was one of them. This is the paragraph about it:

"When it comes to Walt Disney World, the Epcot Center is where dads go to find refuge from Magic Kingdom, the constant rides and cartoon characters for some good old fashioned learning just outside of Orlando. Who wants to learn when they can stuff their faces with deep fried funnel cakes and themselves seeing a Jack Sparrow impersonator? Epcot looks majestic from a distance, twice the size of Magic Kingdom, but up close it's really just Florida's largest golf ball. With two divisions, Future World for futuristic technology and World Showcase for people who are too lazy to travel to the actual destinations, Epcot Center is a tourist spot everyone is likely to visit, but if you go more than once, consider yourself trapped, and in Florida no less."

This makes me think the person who wrote this has never been there, or even done any research. It is basically all of the completely wrong misconceptions about not just Epcot, but Disney World in general. This leaves me with no sense of credibility for the rest of this article.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I just saw an article on MSN about the worst tourist traps in the country, and for some reason, Epcot was one of them. This is the paragraph about it:

"When it comes to Walt Disney World, the Epcot Center is where dads go to find refuge from Magic Kingdom, the constant rides and cartoon characters for some good old fashioned learning just outside of Orlando. Who wants to learn when they can stuff their faces with deep fried funnel cakes and **** themselves seeing a Jack Sparrow impersonator? Epcot looks majestic from a distance, twice the size of Magic Kingdom, but up close it's really just Florida's largest golf ball. With two divisions, Future World for futuristic technology and World Showcase for people who are too lazy to travel to the actual destinations, Epcot Center is a tourist spot everyone is likely to visit, but if you go more than once, consider yourself trapped, and in Florida no less."

This makes me think the person who wrote this has never been there, or even done any research. It is basically all of the completely wrong misconceptions about not just Epcot, but Disney World in general. This leaves me with no sense of credibility for the rest of this article.
:banghead::eek::confused::bored::jawdrop:o_O:facepalm::cautious::mad: That should sum up about how ignorent and ridiculous those statements are!!! :oops:

Becky

If people are stupid enough to believe this it will make Epcot less crowded for me. :) And does the writer really think that the people who visit the
World Showcase are rich and can therefore travel to every country represented at Epcot.?Does he/she think people who go to Worlds Fairs are lazy? Oh wait, I used the word think, a concept the writer has never thought to do.

PhotoDave219

"When it comes to Walt Disney World, the Epcot Center is where dads go to find refuge from Magic Kingdom, the constant rides and cartoon characters for some good old fashioned learning just outside of Orlando. Who wants to learn when they can stuff their faces with deep fried funnel cakes and **** themselves seeing a Jack Sparrow impersonator? Epcot looks majestic from a distance, twice the size of Magic Kingdom, but up close it's really just Florida's largest golf ball. With two divisions, Future World for futuristic technology and World Showcase for people who are too lazy to travel to the actual destinations, Epcot Center is a tourist spot everyone is likely to visit, but if you go more than once, consider yourself trapped, and in Florida no less."

Why on earth would you even give this person any sense of credibility?

Bairstow

Just as an observation, it seems to me that 99% of the time, Disney World fans like to condemn the Flroida parks, EPCOT and MGM especially for being badly-maintained, thematically-compromised shells of their former selves with few worthwhile attractions left. Anyone who steps in to defend these parks is instantly decried as a paid shill or a delusional "pixie duster". However, the instant someone from outside the fan community makes a similar criticism, everyone rushes to attack them for not knowing what they're talking about.

rsoxguy

Just as an observation, it seems to me that 99% of the time, Disney World fans like to condemn the Flroida parks, EPCOT and MGM especially for being badly-maintained, thematically-compromised shells of their former selves with few worthwhile attractions left. Anyone who steps in to defend these parks is instantly decried as a paid shill or a delusional "pixie duster". However, the instant someone from outside the fan community makes a similar criticism, everyone rushes to attack them for not knowing what they're talking about.

It's the age-old attitude that "nobody can say that about my wife. Only I can say that about my wife." I think that we're all guilty of it to some extent concerning any area of interest within our lives.

MarkTwain

True, but I think if they'd criticized Epcot in a way more in line with fans' criticisms of it, people would be more in agreement. If they'd criticized its outdated attractions or how the park failed to live up to its mission statement, they would probably see less backlash. As it is, what they chose to criticize about the park – that the park is educational and features an "around the world" district – most Disney fans regard as the park's conceptual strengths.

musketeer

Original Poster

I don't condemn them at all. With a few very minor exceptions, I think they only get better each time I go.

Chef Mickey

Just because someone posts an opinion on the Internet or in any public domain doesn't mean it's worth anything.

For an article to mean anything, there has to be research done and credibility of the author.

Otherwise, it's another worthless opinion that usually lacks enough experience to formulate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom