Pre-Trip I just got my Master's and my husband wants a divorce so I'm going to Disney

Okay so as the title states, I just graduated with my Master's degree in psychology which I am beyond excited about. After 2 and a half years my hard work paid off and I can't wait to start my first professional job as a drug and alcohol therapist while I'm waiting to hear back from Ph. D programs (including one in Florida so I can be closer to Disney!!). The sad part of the title, my husband wanting a divorce, has gotten easier to deal with. Unfortunately we had several issues that we could not resolve and this seemed to be the best solution, thankfully we have remained civil which is helping and I am hopeful that things in my life will turn around and 2017 will be a good year. Okay, enough of all that, lets get to the trip!!

The Who: me (Megan) going solo (3rd solo trip)
The When: January 23rd-27th
The Where:
WDW, staying on-site at Pop Century
The Why: After a crazy ending to 2016 I needed some time away and a place to celebrate my accomplishment

Monday 1/23:
- 6:30 am flight from Philly to Orlando
- Head to Epcot after dropping my bag off at Pop
  • FP+ for Journey Into Imagination 12:20-1:20
  • FP+ for Character Spot 1:40-2:40
  • FP+ for Frozen Ever After 3:35-4:35
- Spend day at Epcot and enjoy the Festival of the Arts. After looking thru the menus, I came up with the following items I want to try (if you have been to the festival and have suggestions, let me know!)
  • Shrimp Ceviche
  • Dark Chocolate S'mores
  • Trio of Croissant Doughnuts
- Stay for Illuminations then head back to resort

Tuesday 1/24:
- Get to Magic Kingdom for park opening
  • FP+ for Big Thunder Mt RR 9:10-10:10
  • FP+ for Under the Sea 10:45-11:45
  • FP+ for Seven Dwarfs 12:40-1:40
-Head over to Poly around 3:30 to enjoy some beverages at Trader Sam's (hopefully I can grab a seat inside since I'll be there at opening, my last trip I was only able to grab a table out on the patio). I had the HippopotoMai-Tai last time and it was yummy, but I think I'm going to get the Shrunken Zombie Head so I can get a different glass, and the Dark & Tropical Stormy. I didn't bother with the dining plan for this trip so I'll be snacking during the day, I may get an appetizer at Trader Sam's as my "dinner".
-Go back to MK for the rest of the night, watch Wishes and stay for the Kiss Goodnight.

Wednesday 1/25:
- Get to Hollywood Studios for park opening
  • FP+ for Toy Story Mania 9:15-10:15
  • FP+ for Tower of Terror 10:25-11:25
  • FP+ for Muppet*Vision 11:25-12:25
- Watch Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular at 7:45
- Walk to the Boardwalk and enjoy some drinks?

Thursday 1/26:
- Get to Animal Kingdom for park opening

• FP+ for Everest 9:15-10:15
  • FP+ for Adventures Outpost 10:20-11:20
  • FP+ for Kilimanjaro Safari 11:30-12:30
-Spend day at Animal Kingdom, head to Disney Springs after park closing to do some shopping

Friday 1/27:
- Get to Magic Kingdom for morning EMH

• FP+ for Seven Dwarfs 9:05-10:05
  • FP+ for Splash Mt 10:05-11:05
  • FP+ for Meet Mickey 11:10-12:10
- Head back to Pop to grab DME back to the airport :(

PacNWTigger

Congrats on your Masters degree! I'm glad that you are taking the time to celebrate your hard work. I have to admit that I took a WDW trip with a friend when we both divorced in the same year. She and I had a wonderful time, and it was nice to get away to unwind after everything simmered down. Looks like you have some great stuff lined up for your vacation. I look forward to hearing more!

DisneyPrincess5

Congrats on your graduate degree and it sounds like you're hanging in while riding out the journey of a marriage ending. Life is pretty bittersweet at times. Looks like you've got some great plans for yourself. Enjoy!!

Last edited:

drcasey

You'll have a great trip and you deserve it! I nearly took a spontaneous solo trip to Disney a few weeks ago, but chickened out and went to the beach instead. I can't wait to read all about it!

blreinsel

I'll be graduating with my Master's in May so I can totally relate to your excitement and desire to celebrate! I'll have to wait about a month to properly celebrate in WDW, but better late than never! :)

LisaBelle

Congrats on your degree! I'm sorry about your divorce but Disney heals! My sister and I went to Disney after our dad passed away and it was exactly what we needed! Your plans sound great. I understand being reluctant to go solo, but I think it would be awesome to do what you want to do when you want to do it! Plus it will be a great time to celebrate your accomplishment and look ahead to the next chapter in your life! Have a great trip!!!

WASaMATTR

Congratulations on your accomplishment. You set your mind to it and made it happen.

In the midst of the divorce a little Disney therapy is needed to regroup.
I know this may sound like a cliche but everything happens for a reason. Keep your head up and have a little fun in Disney. When you get back, then you can focus on getting rid of the old baggage and start your new profession. God bless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom