I got into the Disney International College Program!

Skooterkid

Original Poster
So after applying several months ago, going to group interviews and then a face-to-face interview I found out yesterday that I'm going to work at Walt Disney World for 2 1/2 months! :D It's an absolute dream come true. I'm doing Custodial, which was not my first choice, but I don't really mind (as long as I'm one of those cool people scooping up popcorn on Main Street!).
I was wondering, has anyone here done the program before and what they're experience was like?
I leave on the 3rd June (7 months today!) and I am super excited. Although I've been to Disney World every year since 1998, I've never spent more than 3 weeks out there. Any ideas of what kind of things I should do during 11 week working-vacation?

WDWNooby

Congratulations! I had an intern that worked for me that did an internship with Disney and loved it. A lot of hard work but she seemed to really enjoy it. She had some great roommates as well. She was a CM at one of the restaurants, I believe POFQ. I didn't hear anything negative other than she always wound up being the messiest CM at the end of the day from making the pastries!

Skooterkid

Original Poster
Congratulations! I had an intern that worked for me that did an internship with Disney and loved it. A lot of hard work but she seemed to really enjoy it. She had some great roommates as well. She was a CM at one of the restaurants, I believe POFQ. I didn't hear anything negative other than she always wound up being the messiest CM at the end of the day from making the pastries!

Thank you! Wow, that sounds like fun. I love pastry :)

emcclay

Oh! So she was there for the culinary program?

WDWNooby

No, she was not in one of the culinary programs that was just the assignment given to her. She also assisted with waiting on tables, etc. She was majoring in Marketing :cool:

SMS55

I had an ex girlfriend that did it years ago. She really enjoyed it. You can work as much overtime as you want while you are there. They do treat the foreigners a little harsher than the U.S. Citizens. They've been known to threaten a foreigner with revoking their visa and for many this is a chance to send U.S. currency home. The places where you will reside at from what she told me were real fun. They clamped down it a little because there were two instances of sexual assault. There's usually a party somewhere every night in the complexes and there were buses taking the cast members to a few local hang outs. With PI gone, one hang out is now gone though.

Skooterkid

Original Poster
I had an ex girlfriend that did it years ago. She really enjoyed it. You can work as much overtime as you want while you are there. They do treat the foreigners a little harsher than the U.S. Citizens. They've been known to threaten a foreigner with revoking their visa and for many this is a chance to send U.S. currency home. The places where you will reside at from what she told me were real fun. They clamped down it a little because there were two instances of sexual assault. There's usually a party somewhere every night in the complexes and there were buses taking the cast members to a few local hang outs. With PI gone, one hang out is now gone though.
Wow, that's scary. I actually forgot that I'd be a 'foreigner' lol. I hope no one threatens me with taking away my visa, that would not be cool! But I'm sure the positives will outweigh the negatives and it will be a great experience :)

Pioneer Hall

Wow, that's scary. I actually forgot that I'd be a 'foreigner' lol. I hope no one threatens me with taking away my visa, that would not be cool! But I'm sure the positives will outweigh the negatives and it will be a great experience :)

It isn't that someone will threaten to take your visa. However, if your performance isn't satisfactory, you can be terminated. To let international cast members know the severity of the consequences, some managers might tell them that termination would result in the loss of their visa and they would be sent home. This is of course going to be the case when you are here on a work visa, and no longer have a job. Just make sure that you go to work on time everyday, do what is expected, smile while answering questions, and have fun. If you do that, then no one is going to have to have any reason to speak to you about needing to go home.

Skooterkid

Original Poster
It isn't that someone will threaten to take your visa. However, if your performance isn't satisfactory, you can be terminated. To let international cast members know the severity of the consequences, some managers might tell them that termination would result in the loss of their visa and they would be sent home. This is of course going to be the case when you are here on a work visa, and no longer have a job. Just make sure that you go to work on time everyday, do what is expected, smile while answering questions, and have fun. If you do that, then no one is going to have to have any reason to speak to you about needing to go home.
Thanks for the advice! There shouldn't be a problem with me being late or incompetent, and I'm sure I won't be able to stop smiling, so I should be fine :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom