Trip Report I ESCAPED!!! (part 2) - The BIG 2-0!

Part 2 of 2
September 12, 2013 - The limbo before the next adventure.

When last I left y'all I had finished up the inaugural unOfficial WDWMagic Girls Dream cruise. Here's the link back to that report. (CLICK HERE)

Just a recap, I've been gone from home including my sons & my little furry girl since Saturday. :( But, hey! I'm rested! :facepalm:

I'm also pretty new to the whole shooting photos in raw format with my new camera and editing so heavily. I'm still developing my skills so if the photos you see here seem odd, it's just me still figuring this stuff out. Pardon my progress, please.

I was on the Disney Cruise Line transfer bus on my way with a couple of the other awesome gals from our cruise sitting on the other side of the aisle. Needless to say, it was a quick, easy ride back to Orlando.

We're here.

I have a knack for being the last stop on these bus transfers. Once the other gals hopped off at the Boardwalk Resort I had the bus all to myself. See? All by my lonesome.

Almost home for the next couple days.

Sorry about that pic. Bouncing along on a moving bus doesn't make photography easy. :rolleyes:

I'm here!

My bus driver was really an interesting guy. He told me he remembered when all the area around us was just sand. He used to drive the trucks that delivered the concrete to the construction site when Kidani was being built. Very cool!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
September 19, 2013 - Relaxin' out on the sea.

We slept in and had a rather lazy morning. I have no clue what we even did. LOL!

When we went to lunch in Cabanas we went prepared.

At some point this afternoon there was a dance party in the atrium. Aparently letting your children climb on the Flapper Minnie statue is the thing to do.

We went to O'Gill's early for music trivia. Did you know O'Gill's has their own brew? They do! And I had the last mug in the keg.

O'Gill's is nice. I like it here.

They should sell the O'Gill's tap handles.

We didn't win. Looks like I didn't know #9. Songs #20 & #21 I must not have liked. Drew a blank on #22. I'm ready for Chandler to be old enough to go to these music trivia games. He'd wipe the floor with all of us old folks.

Remember the lady earlier in the cruise who was rather proud of her Castaway Club Gold status? Well, as the cruise went on Tracey and I would rib each other about our status. We got around to calling ourselves "Gold +2". So, we were Team Gold +2. LOL!

Neeeeever too many pics of the chandelier.

Minnie! You survived the mauling!

I love the peacock theme.

Aaaaaand, that's the end of pics for all of today. :facepalm: As the trip went on I was more in the moment and less interested in my camera. I know we ate Cabanas for dinner. Ordered our favorite room service treats, turned on more movies, and had a nice evening in. It's a hard, hard life onboard the Disney ship. :inlove:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
September 20, 2013 - Back to Castaway!

Approaching Castaway Cay.

We had breakfast then headed off the ship. We checked-in for the Walking & Kayak Tour we had booked at Marge's Barges. I snapped a pic of the ship while we were waiting.

Our tour guide rounded up the group and accompanied us out to Serenity Bay. We had a last potty stop and the chance to get a bottle of water to carry with us from Castaway Air Bar. I liked the doubloons embedded in the bar.

Such a neat bar. One of these days I'll actually spend some time here.

We started the nature walk portion of the tour. We stopped to refill our water bottles and for information bits from the guide along the way.

I forget the name but this bushy tree thing with the orangish berries is a very bad one to touch. It's worse than poison sumac.

We entered little trails off from the bike trail and would emerge to these gorgeous views.

I found this little guy at our first stop. Can't see him but he's in there.

Here's the 2nd little trail we veered off on.

Lovely views.

At the end of the bike path we turned off onto a dirt road. Not far. We stopped to hear about the mangroves. I stooped down to take pics and nearly fell over. Clumsy me.

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
The walk took probably 20 or 30 minutes. It was hot but not unbearably so. At least it was early-ish in the morning.

Kayak time!

So pretty out here.

I hope I get more time here.

My toes was getting in this kayak.

I have never kayaked before. Canoed but not kayaked. We started off a little wobbly but it only took a few minutes to find our rhythm so we could paddle together like a good little team. Around the point and OH! There's the ship!

Kayaking toes in the mangroves.

The water in the mangroves was so perfectly crystal clear. It was just beautiful.

My toes really loved the gorgeous mangroves and perfect clear water.

I could spend an entire day paddling around and swimming here.

Bombed by the water droplets on my camera lens. I never knew how splashy kayaking can be.

There's the ship again. It's waaaaaay out there.

Selfie! Tracey's doing a fabulous job paddling us.

There's a bunch of the others. They didn't go all the way down to the end and back. They just turned around when they saw us doubling back with 2 other couples.

Down by the water perspective.

Someone spotted a stingray. I could see it moving and took a stab at getting a picture of it. I dunked my camera down in the water (Tracey started yelling because I was tipping us to one side) and snapped a couple pics. Check it out! Got it!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Exiting the mangroves back out to the sea the wave action got a bit challenging. We worked to keep ourselves out of the trough by going straight out then turning to head straight back in to the beach.

Yay! I got to come back to this pretty spot at the beach! We had about 30 minutes of beach relaxation time.

I was loving the little spot of trees down in the water. Made for a neat little area.

This was on the other side of the tree. Neat little cove area.

The water so clear then the vivid colors beyond, cameras just can't capture how incredible it is.

In no time our excursion was over and it was time to head back. Much like the xrails in Cozumel in May, after the fun stuff the last bit of travel back to civilization blows. We walked straight back with no stops. Took maybe 15 minutes total. But dang was it HOT. Ugh. Golf carts to haul us back would make this excursion perfect. Still, it was awesome. Tracey & I had been eyeballing this one since before our first cruise. So glad we finally tried it. Kayaking is a lot of fun and the mangroves are gorgeous. Spending time on a secluded beach that isn't accessible to guests is he icing on the cake. Loved it!

Back out at Serenity Bay I snapped a few pics.

The plane is getting pretty overgrown.

Whatever this is, it's cool. That's what it is. It's cool.

Little bit of shopping to stock up on Disney shirts to wear on our upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
It was early afternoon but we were hot and tired so we headed on back to the ship.

When we got to our room we realized we hadn't been to Satellite Falls yet and the cruise was almost over. Not acceptable. No better time than the present to make it right. My toes went to Satellite Falls!

We visited for about 15 minutes, just long enough to cool off and rest a few.

People were starting to make their way back to the ship so we hurried up and decided to take care of what little bit of laundry we had. Yep, I did laundry this week on the ship. I did good, tho. Brought just the right number of Tide Pods. Just 2 left for our last 2 loads. Perfect.

A maintenance guy knocked on our door asking to come thru to our verandah while we were packing up. Ever wonder how they keep the exterior so squeaky clean? Here ya go.

We did some Midship Detective-ing, too.

I told Tracey to stand next to Pepe's door to give it scale. Here he presents to you Pepe's little stateroom door.

We went back to O'Gill's. I forget what for but I had to have another beer.

They were out of the Strongbow. Dangit. I had a sampling of Stella, O'Gill's, and Murphy's I think.

Tracey had a mudslide. I think he loves these things so much because they strongly resemble milkshakes.

We watched us sail away as usual. Sad. Looks like not the best weather ahead tonight. That's okay. I kinda like it.

Let's see, we hit up the early show and had walk-up window grub for dinner. The ventriloquist chick in the main show was so funny we decided to go see her later for her adult set. Soooooo, we were in attendance in The Tube for the Battle of the Sexes as well as the adult ventriloquist show. Both were super fun. We drank way too many bar drinks but who cares. Vacation isn't over yet. Right?

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
September 21, 2013

I have no excuse or idea why I didn't take pics today. Weird. We got up and left the ship without even eating. Just didn't feel like it. We ate when we got to the airport then lounged in the United Club Lounge for a few hours before camping out by our departure gate.

Normally the end of vacation stinks in the biggest way. But, I'll be honest, after being away from home for 2 weeks I was ready. I had been feeling ready to go home for a few days by now. Missed my boys and my little dog. I know, I'm pathetic. So, you know, I used to be one of those people that said things like "If I won the lottery I'd go on vacation for 6 months". But, I don't think so. After a while there's no better place to be but home. There's a lot to be said for home and your own bed and all the people you love most. Coming home felt good. I truly wasn't a sad day to go home for me this time.

It was a wonderful adventure. So much relaxation and time alone with my favoritest person. Loved every minute of it. Now, to just see some sunshine in Costa Maya. Three-peat??? Hmmmmm......

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
How neat that you brought some wedding memorabilia to your anniversary dinner! Lovely photo of the two of you.

Great day at CC, and you got some fantastic photos there.

fractal

Love the wedding day pic! You guys look like kids ( I guess so did Val and I )! Very cool that you kept the things from your wedding for that evening.

Nice job with the camera - love the castaway cay pictures. I am really enjoying your cruise reports, I know - I have to go on one myself!

Happy Anniversary to you and Tracy! I think anybody can tell by reading your reports that you have made a wonderful family and life together. To many more years and many more trips!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
How neat that you brought some wedding memorabilia to your anniversary dinner! Lovely photo of the two of you.

Great day at CC, and you got some fantastic photos there.

The wedding memorabilia set out on our dinner table with the rose centerpiece from the restaurant made it so personal and sweet. So many of the wait staff and the Palo manager came by to ask about our things. It was so fun to recount it all. Our little praying cherub...ah...I really had to work to get him back that clean. Came back to life perfectly. Our little wedding we had 20 years ago wasn't much in terms of grand-ness but, looking back, it was us. Family brought covered dishes for snacking. My sis-in-law made our cake. My mother-in-law altered my dress so it'd actually fit (found it on a JCPenney clearance rack for $20). Both of us had our grandparents there. NOW that means more than anything since we no longer have 3 out of the 4 of them with us. We borrowed the chairs from our church. My best friend's dad performed our ceremony. It was all so small but it was perfect for us. Total cost including everything right down to our blood tests (it was THAT long ago o_O )& marriage license was a little over $200. Not too shabby! The icing on the cake for us was on the way out meeting the nice couple at the table next to us who congratulated our 20 years. They were there celebrating like 45. Ah! Those people are my goal!

Loved our CC day. Didn't do anything beyond our excursion but the excursion was something we'd always wanted to try. Next time we'll do something different, I'm sure. Can't wait to see what your honey thinks of the cruise and Castaway Cay. I think in many ways it's something you either fall in love with or you don't. And it's not like an instant love. It takes a little bit for it all to settle in and to realize the sum of everything. That's what it was like for me. You'll have to tell us what your man thinks!

Love the wedding day pic! You guys look like kids ( I guess so did Val and I )! Very cool that you kept the things from your wedding for that evening.

Nice job with the camera - love the castaway cay pictures. I am really enjoying your cruise reports, I know - I have to go on one myself!

Happy Anniversary to you and Tracy! I think anybody can tell by reading your reports that you have made a wonderful family and life together. To many more years and many more trips!

The wedding day pics are nuts! We do look like a couple kids because we were! We don't have many good pics of us together. Our grandfathers both were hobby-ist photogs so we thought they'd be shooting it up right for us. Well, it turned out they befriended each other and spent the day being buddies. I have a pic somewhere that my mom snapped of the "photographers" sitting in a corner playing with their cameras together. Priceless. That's my favorite picture from my wedding especially now that they've both passed. If you look at all the pics I have mostly we look like 2 nervous or scared kids. We were! I was 19 & he was 21. Neither of us had a clue. We were just crazy mad in love and didn't care about anything else. We didn't really have any sort of plan or anything. Just wanted to be together and thought we'd figure life out along the way. I know during our ceremony whenever Mr. Reeves would say to bow our heads to pray I closed my eyes once and felt like I was going to sway right off my feet. I was so nervous. I kept saying in my head over and over, "OMG. I'm getting married. This is it. I'm going to be married. Married. Wow!" I was in awe of the moment. No clue what I vowed. LOL! I wonder is that normal????? :facepalm::hilarious:

I love the Castaway pics. Cannot believe the stingray shot turned out. Serious. I wasn't even looking at what I was shooting. Just shoved the camera below the water and clicked twice hoping I'd get it. So cool.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes! I'm still amazed that I've done something right...and just something...it's the biggest thing. If I get everything else all wrong, I'm cool with that. I didn't fail at the big one. :inlove:

Mrs.Skellington

So glad you had a great anniversary. We watched the sail away from Epcot before my phone died. I can't wait to get back on board. It's exactly how you said. It creeps up on you and then you realize how much in love you are with cruising with Mickey. After over a month being off the ship, I got DCL mail this weekend. All of the navigators and then my silver card. I was dancing in my living room. I couldn't believe the mailed the navigators to me. I casually asked for them on our last day and they didn't have one day. No biggy. Then surprise. Wow. Talk about customer service.

LuvsTheMouse

Kelly, a great trip report, as always. Its always sad to read the end of someones report. Loved, loved, loved the CC pictures. Happy Belated Anniversary! I've been married for 28years, i still have the cake topper but never saved a napkin. We had gotten married by the JP and the people that stood up for us, gave us a very small party at their home. We did have our marriage bless a year later. I would do that all over again, than have a big wedding. That was a cool idea that you brought it along with you, so sweet! Looking forward to your next trip report!

PolynesianPrincess

Happy Belated anniversary to you and Tracey! No better place to celebrate 20 years than on a ship you love right? :) When you were talking about setting the wedding day memorabilia on the table, I got a little teary eyed. I think it is so great that you two are still going strong after 20 years :)

The excursion you did on CC looks like a lot of fun. It was one I had been checking out but seeing how you guys liked it sealed the deal for me! And I think we found our excursion for Cozumel, too! I love manatees and swimming with them would rank right up there with swimming with dolphins. How long was the whole swimming part? I told Mom and Ashley about it and Ashley checked out the webpage and saw they also have a Sea Lion ecounter. She loves Sea Lions so she wants to do that one so I'm wondering if we might have time for both of them?

lbrad

LOVED your TR!!!
DH & I leave for our "25th Anniversary" in 30 days aboard the Disney Dream !!!! :inlove:
I too am bringing along Memorabilia from our wedding day ... although I have pretty much done this for the past 24 years ...lol ... I do try to mix it up. I am afraid to bring anything fragile since we are flying (your cherub is adorable) ... I would be devastated if anything was damaged/lost or broken.
Wishing you & your hubby a Happy Anniversary and many, many more :)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Loved the TR! Sad it's over though

Awwww, thanks Joanna! Honestly, when I walked off the ship in Port Canaveral I had zero sadness. None. Every trip has to end for the next one to begin, right? I was ready to see my 'babies', tho. Or, maybe I wasn't sad because I knew I'd be on the seas again soon. (next month but not DCL...sshhh...don't tell Mickey!)

So glad you had a great anniversary. We watched the sail away from Epcot before my phone died. I can't wait to get back on board. It's exactly how you said. It creeps up on you and then you realize how much in love you are with cruising with Mickey. After over a month being off the ship, I got DCL mail this weekend. All of the navigators and then my silver card. I was dancing in my living room. I couldn't believe the mailed the navigators to me. I casually asked for them on our last day and they didn't have one day. No biggy. Then surprise. Wow. Talk about customer service.

How cool that you watched us sail away! Thank you for joining us in spirit! Yep, the shorter cruises go so fast. It's hard to totally process everything on the first cruise when you're in the whirlwind. For me, it was afterwards that it really sunk in. I'm so glad you loved it. I was so worried we'd talked all these ladies into going and they'd not like it because it's so different from the parks vacations. I think I love it for all the differences!

Yep, it's the DCL details that get ya!

Kelly, a great trip report, as always. Its always sad to read the end of someones report. Loved, loved, loved the CC pictures. Happy Belated Anniversary! I've been married for 28years, i still have the cake topper but never saved a napkin. We had gotten married by the JP and the people that stood up for us, gave us a very small party at their home. We did have our marriage bless a year later. I would do that all over again, than have a big wedding. That was a cool idea that you brought it along with you, so sweet! Looking forward to your next trip report!

Thanks for the anniversary wishes! 28 years! Wow! You're where we're headed...just up the road a little ways... LOL! Small weddings can be just as special as big ones, I think. It's all in what you take from it. Our families really came together to make our day special. That's the part that I look back on and adore.

Next TR won't be a Disney one! Shocking! I'm trying to figure out where to post it. I guess now would be a good time to start a blog or something.... LOL!

Happy Belated anniversary to you and Tracey! No better place to celebrate 20 years than on a ship you love right? :) When you were talking about setting the wedding day memorabilia on the table, I got a little teary eyed. I think it is so great that you two are still going strong after 20 years :)

The excursion you did on CC looks like a lot of fun. It was one I had been checking out but seeing how you guys liked it sealed the deal for me! And I think we found our excursion for Cozumel, too! I love manatees and swimming with them would rank right up there with swimming with dolphins. How long was the whole swimming part? I told Mom and Ashley about it and Ashley checked out the webpage and saw they also have a Sea Lion ecounter. She loves Sea Lions so she wants to do that one so I'm wondering if we might have time for both of them?

Thanks, Darolyn! Awwwww...I'll let you in on a secret: when I put our little wedding memorabilia out Tracey was absolutely shocked and he, too, got a little misty. Then I gave him my selection of anniversary cards...including the Up! one I ordered off Etsy. Yep, I made his eyes leak. :happy: ((Love Etsy for greeting cards! Cheap and most people haven't seen those cards before.))

The swimming part with the manatees was 30 minutes. What are your port times? We had like 8-5. We were some of the first off the ship and made it more than an hour early for our 10:30 manatee interaction. 10:30 was the earliest on their website. I think you'd have plenty of time to do both if you schedule them close together. Like if you could get the Sea Lions at like noon you'd be fabulous for time. I wouldn't schedule anything after about 1:30-ish just so you don't end up rushed or stressed returning to the ship. That also gives you some time to shop on the way back, too.

Few tips for you: When you book, don't tell them you are coming in on the Disney ship. Disney does some excursions there. It *can* be a situation where they won't book you because it undercuts Disney's contract with them. They could get in trouble. I've heard of this before with other cruise lines. Just look up the name of any hotel in Cozumel and list that. They'll never know. They don't ask. Be prepared to pay for the interaction pics. They won't let you bring a camera with you for the interaction. They make a lot of money on that part. I wouldn't have bought the whole disk but Tracey didn't feel like sorting thru all the pics to choose a few. Before I could say anything he blurted out "Print the CD." Ugh. It was like $130 or $150 or something like that. It was a lot. We did use a credit card to pay. Definitely a panic moment when I looked at the receipt and saw the totals in pesos. Yikes! Also, since you aren't on a DCL excursion, be sure to bring towels from the pool deck. Seriously. We forgot and paid like $40 for 2 beach towels from the gift shop. :rolleyes: Also, when you get a taxi going over and coming back be sure to settle on a price before you get in. That's just smart practice for ANY port traversing! ;) OH! And when you go across to the mall area at the Cozumel port looking to get down to the ground level! The escalator right by the walk-across has been broken (conveniently) and blocked off in the morning both times we were there. This forces you to walk by a lot of shops and stuff looking for steps to the lower level. They don't make them easy to find. Go straight all the way to the back right corner. That's where there's stairs. When you come back later in the day someone will (again conveniently) have gotten smart and unblocked the escalator so you can walk up it like stairs.

If you have any specific questions about anything lemme know. Our first time to Cozumel I was nervous about going it outside the cruise line. We definitely feel alot better about it now that we've done it twice.

LOVED your TR!!!
DH & I leave for our "25th Anniversary" in 30 days aboard the Disney Dream !!!! :inlove:
I too am bringing along Memorabilia from our wedding day ... although I have pretty much done this for the past 24 years ...lol ... I do try to mix it up. I am afraid to bring anything fragile since we are flying (your cherub is adorable) ... I would be devastated if anything was damaged/lost or broken.
Wishing you & your hubby a Happy Anniversary and many, many more :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the TR. I took ZERO notes so it was literally off the top of my head. Happy 25th Anniversary!!! Fabulous! Congrats! You're gonna have such an amazing time on the Dream!

I hear ya! I was so afraid bringing our little cherub with me. I had visions of opening the padded pouch I packed it in and finding a bag full of ceramic crumbs. I packed it in a padded pouch then in the middle of all my clothes. Still, I would've just died....especially if my suitcase had been lost! I have a few more invitations and 2/3 of a box of napkins packed away but that cherub is the only one I have of that. EEEK!!!

Thanks again! Hope your anniversary is every bit as magical as ours was. And, to you as well, many many more! :inlove:

Tiggerfanatic

Loved this trip report. Congratulations on your anniversary, too. It takes a lot of hard work to make a good marriage but it's definitely worth it - we'll be celebrating our 35th in July (man, I am getting old!)

I loved the kayaking pics - think I might like to try that next time.

Looking forward to cruising with you again.

WishIWasAtWDW

Great report! You two sure know how to have a relaxing vacation! :D I thought our 7 day cruise had a lot of time for relaxation but we got nothing on you! Hahaha :hilarious: I'm glad to see you finally made it to Satellite Falls and dipped your toes in a pool. I love that area. We spent a lot of time there on our May cruise.

Congratulations on 20 years of marriage! That's a big deal! 20 years! Wow!! It sounds like you both had a wonderful time celebrating.

Thanks for sharing your trips with us!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom