I-Drive Rail is being planned

BrianV

The closest I'll be going to Israel would be Turkey. Not worth the risk going anywhere near that place.

Way way way off topic, but the murder rate in the US is greater than that of Turkey which in turn is greater than that of Israel. Israel would be the safest of those three countries.

As for the rail, once it connects from the airport directly to anywhere useful, then I'll be very interested. I suspect even at that, the price will always exceed the price for a cab for a family.

Where I live in boston, a round trip train ticket into boston is $11pp. Of course kids are free up to 12. Above that they are not. $44 for a family of 4 beats the price of a round trip taxi, but certainly not the convenience.

The Mom

Premium Member
Way way way off topic, but the murder rate in the US is greater than that of Turkey which in turn is greater than that of Israel. Israel would be the safest of those three countries.

As for the rail, once it connects from the airport directly to anywhere useful, then I'll be very interested. I suspect even at that, the price will always exceed the price for a cab for a family.

Where I live in boston, a round trip train ticket into boston is $11pp. Of course kids are free up to 12. Above that they are not. $44 for a family of 4 beats the price of a round trip taxi, but certainly not the convenience.

Exactly. It has to be a lot cheaper, or a lot more convenient. But it can't be both inconvenient and the same price. Most people will not use it.

fillerup

Some quotes from an April 2015 article in O'Biz Journal and a few observations: Biz Journal

"Though environmental and construction permits would first have to be secured, the company still expects to begin limited operations in 2016 with full operations beginning in 2017 — contingent on the completion of the airport’s $215 million Intermodal Transportation Facility, which would house a Maglev platform."

So as of yet, no permits. Doubtful if construction is under way. And I just want to make sure everyone is clear that the airport station will be at the "new" Southern terminal which only exists on paper and is being fought tooth and nail by the airlines that serve MCO.

"The goal is to begin circulator operations in September 2016, after six months of testing."

"Van Buren Township, Mich.-based Ricardo Plc. is expected to complete the first two Maglev cars by next summer."

So 'splain this to me - How do you begin testing in March 2016 when the first cars won't be delivered until June or July?

"Full train capacity is 200 passengers, 80 in front and 120 in the back. About 3.1 million passengers are expected in the first year."

What does that even mean? Nobody's going to sit in the middle?

"The train will be able to travel an estimated 500-1,000 trips per hour."

This is a marvel for sure. An attraction in and of itself - a train every 3 to 6 seconds.

And finally:

"Train tickets on Maglev could cost about $16 one way from the airport to the convention center, and $6 one way for the circulator."

Family of 4, airport round trip - $128. Taxi anyone? Circulator round trip - $48. IRide Trolley, all day pass is $5 per person.

They must have some seriously fine herb at American Maglev.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom