I-Drive Rail is being planned

Progress.City

Original Poster
I just learned the other day that there has been active advanced planning lately on an International Drive elevated automated people mover system called I-Drive Rail. I learned about it by an article in the Orlando Business Journal that was about an expansion of the OCCC. A station for I-Drive Rail is being planned as part of that expansion, according to the article.

I then searched to find information about I-Drive Rail and learned it is a separate loop being planned for the I-Drive area, but is part of the privately-financed OIA to OCCC maglev project, which has been advancing lately. That project is now financed and several months ago, they awarded a contract to build the trains.

All other information I found is spotty, at best. But, with the county actually at work at designing a station for at at the OCCC, it looks like this project is actually really going to happen!

JordanNite

The last thing Disney want is any mobilisation of a public transportation system ... a large part of their business model has people staying on a Disney property due to the non existant public transport system.

Honestly, for the sheer volume of tourists and people in Orlando it's a mystery as to why they have no metro system that can get people around. Well it's not really a mystery, the public servants are simply being told what to do.

HauntedMansionFLA

I just learned the other day that there has been active advanced planning lately on an International Drive elevated automated people mover system called I-Drive Rail. I learned about it by an article in the Orlando Business Journal that was about an expansion of the OCCC. A station for I-Drive Rail is being planned as part of that expansion, according to the article.

I then searched to find information about I-Drive Rail and learned it is a separate loop being planned for the I-Drive area, but is part of the privately-financed OIA to OCCC maglev project, which has been advancing lately. That project is now financed and several months ago, they awarded a contract to build the trains.

All other information I found is spotty, at best. But, with the county actually at work at designing a station for at at the OCCC, it looks like this project is actually really going to happen!
I've heard some rumblings that something is up. That's one thing I hate about Disney - is getting around. If Universal can get transportation like this that connects all of the parks and hotels. Game changer. Big time.

lazyboy97o

The last thing Disney want is any mobilisation of a public transportation system ... a large part of their business model has people staying on a Disney property due to the non existant public transport system.

Honestly, for the sheer volume of tourists and people in Orlando it's a mystery as to why they have no metro system that can get people around. Well it's not really a mystery, the public servants are simply being told what to do.
What? Orlando doesn't have large scale mass transit because it is a bunch of swamps. There is not sufficient density. There are also federal restrictions against transit projects aimed at tourism.

lazyboy97o

All the big projects that are happening (except SunRail) are privately financed and do not need Federal dollars!
These "projects" (AMT has yet to follow through on a single project they have promised to pay for) but that does not include all projects ever considered.

Progress.City

Original Poster

To me, the biggest mystery is why there isn't a direct rail route right now to take people flying in to downtown and to the convention center. Hopefully, I-Drive Rail will change that!

ItlngrlBella

So it's a just a rail loop around international drive? What a complete waste of time.

Actually it's brilliant - that area is also A TON of giant conventions and NSM's (my husband just came home tonight from his NSM and the Hyatt). Having quick and free (or low cost access) to the other restaurants and attractions would help that area - they ended up walking to Opa and some Irish (or British) a pub/restaurant along I-drive. I'm sure they'd gonfuether and see morneif it was connected by a train.

Progress.City

Original Poster
These "projects" (AMT has yet to follow through on a single project they have promised to pay for) but that does not include all projects ever considered.
Did you read my post? It's actually advancing quite seriously now. Just search through the Orlando Business Journal for recent articles. The trains are actually under construction. As I mentioned, the convention center expansion is being designed with an I-Drive Rail station included in it. They also got the financing all in place. So, unless something major happens, like finding out that they were way off on their estimate for building it, it's gonna happen.

Progress.City

Original Poster
All Aboard Florida is the other one. In South Florida, all three stations are under construction, as is the second track and road crossing safety features. The leg from West Palm Beach to Orlando should start soon. They cleared the legal hurdle for that the other day.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That's a win-win for everyone along I-Drive - I'm sure hey had no problem getting the $ to make this happen. More $ for everyone in the long run - you know this will move fast now.
Except Mears.

fat-tony-adult.jpg

lazyboy97o

To me, the biggest mystery is why there isn't a direct rail route right now to take people flying in to downtown and to the convention center. Hopefully, I-Drive Rail will change that!
Because the people attending conventions are often on someone else's dime and can afford a rental car (which allows them to get away from the convention center) or car service.

Did you read my post? It's actually advancing quite seriously now. Just search through the Orlando Business Journal for recent articles. The trains are actually under construction. As I mentioned, the convention center expansion is being designed with an I-Drive Rail station included in it. They also got the financing all in place. So, unless something major happens, like finding out that they were way off on their estimate for building it, it's gonna happen.
Again, this is not entirely new for AMT. Old Dominion University has a track and trains that don't work. The test facility outside Atlanta looks more like a good place to buy drugs than a high tech headquarters. The actual corporate headquarters are in a nondescript back alley building.

Progress.City

Original Poster
The real reason is most public transport is a money loser and the people of Orlando aren't going to pay for tourist. Private money wants to have ago at it, Good Luck boys. Plenty of money in the private sector to drop a billion or two on a project that fails. Once built and if it fails someone will take it over. BK would just clear over head for a new company to give it a shot. How business works but not how public transport works. Public transport just loses money for the taxpayers.
Privately financed, owned, and operated systems are profitable in Japan...

lazyboy97o

The real reason is most public transport is a money loser and the people of Orlando aren't going to pay for tourist. Private money wants to have ago at it, Good Luck boys. Plenty of money in the private sector to drop a billion or two on a project that fails. Once built and if it fails someone will take it over. BK would just clear over head for a new company to give it a shot. How business works but not how public transport works. Public transport just loses money for the taxpayers.
Most people across the country are not willing to pay for their own transit. Federal dollars dominate that field, be it roads or mass transit systems, and federal dollars come with restrictions.

Progress.City

Original Poster
Because the people attending conventions are often on someone else's dime and can afford a rental car (which allows them to get away from the convention center) or car service.

Again, this is not entirely new for AMT. Old Dominion University has a track and trains that don't work. The test facility outside Atlanta looks more like a good place to buy drugs than a high tech headquarters. The actual corporate headquarters are in a nondescript back alley building.
First, I hope they learned from their mistakes from Old Dominion. Second, what would you expect from a start-up with no money? I once ran a successful business that I started with no money out from my parents' house because I didn't have the capital to buy office and warehouse space. When the business brought in enough money to move out, I kept it at my parents' house and reinvested the money saved back into the business. Just because they have low overhead doesn't mean that don't have a good product. Their prototype in Atlanta works and does as promised. That's the important part.

ItlngrlBella

This isn't Amtrack. This is a system to help business and leisure travelers (in an already congested area) get around faster and easier (along with their $$$). Imagine if it connects to the airport to I Drive and even the beach (east or west coast - west coast is nicer) - that's more tourists who otherwise wouldn't head there.

lazyboy97o

First, I hope they learned from their mistakes from Old Domion. Second, what would you expect from a start-up with no money? I once ran a successful business that I started with no money out from my parents' house because I didn't have the capital to my office and warehouse space. When the business brought in enough money to move out, I kept it at my parents' house and reinvested the money saved back into the business. Just because they have low overhead doesn't mean that don't have a good product. Their prototype in Atlanta works and does as promised. That's the important part.
They supposedly have millions of dollars, but are hidden away and not showing off their technology. The test track rarely operates and there are serious doubts as to whether or not the trains can hit advertised speeds given its short length.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom