"I Don't Like Epcot...It's Too Educational." Good Grief

Crockett

Banned
Original Poster
I've heard that saying once or twice before, and it makes me wonder how dumbed-down society has gotten when people are afraid to learn a thing or two while on vacation. :shrug:

Heaven forbid someone experiences a little culture, hears a new language, witnesses some history...all while having FUN at a Disney park. It just blows my mind how some people have to have the fun ride or treated-like-princess-royalty in order to have a good time when at WDW.

I'm sure we all have encountered someome once or twice with that mentality (or lack thereof) to where they cringe at the thought of an "educational" experience. I pity them, but am not rude nonetheless. How do you respond when/if someone tells you they want to avoid a park like Epcot because it's educational?

draybook

I have to admit, we stayed away from Epcot on our fist visit in 08 because of that very reason. We were thinking that it would be too educational and not enough fun. That being said, it's quickly become our second favorite park at Disney and is quickly edging it's way toward number one.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Americans in general have been afraid of knowledge for decades now. That's why it's somehow become a negative that someone is highly educated, lest they be referred to as an "elitist." Politicians attack each other for being "Ivy League snobs" and not "regular Joes."

For the life of me, I will never, ever understand the lack of value this nation places on education, and the great fear it has of being educated.

::end of rant.::

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Americans in general have been afraid of knowledge for decades now. That's why it's somehow become a negative that someone is highly educated, lest they be referred to as an "elitist." Politicians attack each other for being "Ivy League snobs" and not "regular Joes."

For the life of me, I will never, ever understand the lack of value this nation places on education, and the great fear it has of being educated.

::end of rant.::

I have a similar view regards education. Though I think that there is something seriously wrong that in UK politics the muppets in charge all went to the same few schools ( regardless of their political colour) where access is based on bank balance rather than ability.

HMF

I've heard that saying once or twice before, and it makes me wonder how dumbed-down society has gotten when people are afraid to learn a thing or two while on vacation. :shrug:
The new Narration and finale of Spaceship Earth should tell you how dumb our society is.

Jakester

I love Epcot, Even in its current state. I love The Countries and taking time to explore them, One of those Full day Parks. (IMO, Magic Kingdom is the only other one if you fully do everything, even TSI, That you can do from park open to atleast fireworks). You could knock out Animal Kingdom by 2pm if you go at 9am, DHS is the only knock out everything in 2hours

TropicalFig8

I can't really think of anything "educational" in Epcot except Spaceship Earth,Universe of Energy,and Living with the Land.

Teens don't expect to go on vacation and "learn" stuff. I guess that's why Horizons,World of Motion and Wonders of Life are gone.

cslafferty

I am a public school teacher, so it goes without saying that I value education, and agree with the confusion concerning our country's values and priorities where education and public service (my husband's a firefighter) are concerned. Having said that . . .
We (my 9, 11, and 13 yr. old children and myself) left for our very first trip to WDW the day after the last day of school in June of '99. Our expectation (we had been to DLR once) was to loose ourselves in the magic and fantasy of Disney - "Think of all the joy you'll find when you leave the world behind and bid your cares goodbye!" Our first day was spent at MK, where we did just that. But, when we went to EPCOT the next day, we were only there for about 2 hours before the kids said "We just got OUT of school - we're on summer vacation! We want to go back to MK!" And, I must admit, I agreed with them at the time!!
We just went last summer with my youngest (now 22!) and we all had a much different attitude concerning EPCOT now that we are older (and we went in Aug. instead of June, so we were able to have a break from school first!). Learning is important and can be SO fun, but when that's all you do most of the year, then a vacation from that is necessary to keep yourself in balance. I love learning, but on vacation, let me fly through the mountains of MK, stuff myself in WS, and bathe myself in pixie dust! :sohappy:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

All kids want is video games and candy. I am not blaming all parents but allot of parents are lazy to culture their kids or get them out so they just sit them in front of a computer or TV set. Of course I watch TV and went on the computer but when it was bright out I was always outside. When a kid is in cyber world heir brains are like candy. Kids these days look at fun in a different way. To them they image Disney as walking into a TV set. I myself and I have a feeling most kids from the 90's and earlier would enjoy a ride thru Horizons, Imagination or even Spaceship Earth. What gets me is if Dumbed down is Epcot's new direction how did the Imagination pavilion not get an expansion or some major investment? If they left it as is with upgrades the Imagination Pavilion would be a nightmare just to get around in.

MarkTwain

I associate education with meaning "here's some facts... learn them." Stuffing your head with knowledge, memorizing dates, reading old novels, and learning how to do math problems. Those are things which I could completely understand people wouldn't want to do on vacation.

I associate Epcot with being more inspirational... Less hammering you over the head with new facts (the small amount of information presented in Spaceship Earth seems to me like it should be common knowledge anyway), and more presenting to us a pleasant vision of our future and our common humanity. Epcot is much more well-wishing, spirited, and light-hearted than anything I took in high school. To me that kind of optimistic spirit is exactly the kind of thing I want to feel on vacation.

Might just be me, though.

Rowdy

I associate education with meaning "here's some facts... learn them." Stuffing your head with knowledge, memorizing dates, reading old novels, and learning how to do math problems. Those are things which I could completely understand people wouldn't want to do on vacation.

I associate Epcot with being more inspirational... Less hammering you over the head with new facts (the small amount of information presented in Spaceship Earth seems to me like it should be common knowledge anyway), and more presenting to us a pleasant vision of our future and our common humanity. Epcot is much more well-wishing, spirited, and light-hearted than anything I took in high school. To me that kind of optimistic spirit is exactly the kind of thing I want to feel on vacation.

Might just be me, though.

I couldn't agree more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom