I actually like the new Spaceship Earth ending.

arko

The additions to Spaceship Earth ruined the attraction. The computer scene is particularly galling: the personal computer was not invented by Steve Jobs or that other Apple computer guy in a garage as is implied: it was invented by the massive corporation IBM.
umm no, the first personal computer was actually sold in the 1960's by Olivetti. The first mass produced fuly assembled personal computers came out in 1977, among them was the Apple 2. But yes by that time Apple had long left the garage stage.

IBM came along in 1981 and their contribution was building a platform that became the defacto standard hardware wise going forward.

Last edited:

Bairstow

The only useful thing the screens do is help you select your language for the attraction.
Does anyone know if this changes the language of the recorded narration or just onscreen subtitles?
Too bad you can't use them to select the old Jeremy Irons narration.

The additions to Spaceship Earth ruined the attraction. The computer scene is particularly galling: the personal computer was not invented by Steve Jobs or that other Apple computer guy in a garage as is implied: it was invented by the massive corporation IBM.

History belongs to those that win.
...or at least those who have strong corporate ties to media/theme park companies.

BigTxEars

The PCs intergartion into everyday life we see today has a bunch to do with both Jobs and Wozniak, and it did occur from a garage. I think that scene in SE is very well placed, it is about the common man having the ability to greatly impact the further of the world based on a vision not commonly shared by their peers. Jobs showed that more than once, across multiple decades even. Wozniak was the tech, Jobs was the vision, both deserve credit for what they did IMO.

Gullywhumper

Original Poster
The only useful thing the screens do is help you select your language for the attraction.
Does anyone know if this changes the language of the recorded narration or just onscreen subtitles?
Too bad you can't use them to select the old Jeremy Irons narration.

History belongs to those that win.
...or at least those who have strong corporate ties to media/theme park companies.
Is the narrator also different depending on the language?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Seems like the way down didn't need "something to do" when there were actual show scenes to enjoy along the way...

The "new ending" should have been part of the post show. Some kiosks where you make the choices and see the result. Not the grand finale to Epcot's signature attraction.

Don't get me wrong I would prefer scenes but the interaction thing is better than having nothing there which could be the case. Out of the versions, with different narrators, I've seen I prefer the Walter Cronkite version with the song Tomorrow's Child.

Goofyernmost

Sorry guys, but we're gonna have to ban you from this forum now.

But seriously, I like the "what if" aspect but the execution is so bad. Its cheesy and cartoony and the futures portrayed are so cliche'. It doesn't fit the rest of the ride in any way - it isn't even about communication but rather just generic future-y stuff. The extent of the enjoyment most people get out of it amounts to "haha our heads look funny pasted onto this flash cartoon."

Nevermind that you're wasting time moving through physical space while watching what should be a post show exhibit (and it basically actually is in a different form), there is nothing to look at except triangles and black curtains that are covering up actual physical sets of before, or that they could have had the screen interact with what's around you, etc.

The whole thing is just so half-baked and cheap. SSE deserves so much better than that.
I suppose there is some truth to what you are saying, but, imagine, if you will, what it would be like without the Siemens sponsorship.

Matt_Black

Except that IBM isn't a major shareholder of the Disney company, Apple is. Money talks, historical accuracy walks.

I cover up my bright screen with whatever is handy, backpack-park map-etc... then I can enjoy the darkness and pretend it's still the way it used to be
I too wouldn't mind having nothing to look at. To me it was just kind of nice to sort of enjoy the music and reflect in the dark on all the information you'd just learned/stuff you'd seen. I found it to be calming, especially the stars (which were always my favorite part).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom