Hydration Questions

dreamfinder

Original Poster
Ok, so here's the deal. My body burns through tons of water while running. Like crazy amounts. I'll lose 5-7 lbs easy during a 15mi run on the TM at the gym. Thats including the 40 oz or so I'll consume while running. (Weighed before holding full water bottles, after holding empty ones) Those levels push me into the dehydrated stage (using the guideline that anything over 2% weight loss is dehdration, I'm closer to 4%) Thought I had it under control between upping my sports drink amount, and using electrolyte tabs. I'm not thirsty while running, and in all honesty my body doesn't want more fluids while running.

Well, at the Marathon I had issues. That whole light headed can't go in a straight line stopped sweating at mile 13 kinda issues. Slowed down, forced myself to take extra fluids (talking both water and PowerAde at each aid station), and finished. Afterwards consumed 3 bottles of PowerAde, 3 bottles of water, and a few hours later, finally back to normal.

Always roughly shot for 4oz per 2 miles. Seems to be in line with Galloways suggestion of 2-4oz per 2 miles, and other studies suggesting 800ml/hour. My body just doesn't want more than that.

Any suggestions on how to get my body to compensate? Or even to force it to want to take in more liquids? I know that fluids are important, but taking 3-4 L after the race, plus I'd say another 3 on course just seems a bit abnormal. I know the heat over the weekend probably bumped it up a bit, but damn, that just seems excessive.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Unless you cramp up or reject more fluids, I think you might just have to choke them down. I think your sweat rate is on the high side (Im not a expert, just guessing). To put it visually, I probably sweat from .5 to 1 pound during normal long runs. In the summer and it is 90, Ill obviously sweat more, but who wouldnt. 5-7 lbs of sweat is 8, 12oz cans. That is a lot. I would force myself if you can so the dangers of dehydration set in.

Maybe someone deals with too and will chime in. Good luck.

Texas84

Not an expert, but I've read that taking fluids at that point won't do you much good. Maybe you need a hydration plan for several days before a long run. I have to do that. I will take in a daily sports drink and a bit more water than usual a few days before. Of course, you have to watch the overhydration. Sunday I got the dizzy spells at DHS but I was still sweating. Might have been mild heatstroke because a stop at a med tent for tylenol fixed me right up. Ask your family physician. Mine loves to hear about my running and has given me some good advice.

joel_maxwell

Maybe you should just go to your physician and get checked out. You might be in the 1% of people that have Hyperhidrosis. But I think you sweat all the time with that. I still think a family doctor could give you better advice than I could. ;)

Mr mom

Maybe you should just go to your physician and get checked out. You might be in the 1% of people that have Hyperhidrosis. But I think you sweat all the time with that. I still think a family doctor could give you better advice than I could. ;)

Good advice, I don't hydrate even on 13 milers unless it is summer and even then only a little bit. I might lose a pound on a longer run but nothing like what he is talking about.

joel_maxwell

Good advice, I don't hydrate even on 13 milers unless it is summer and even then only a little bit. I might lose a pound on a longer run but nothing like what he is talking about.
That is why I was thinking this is abnormal sweating. I can only attest to my own amount, but I think you and I run about the same pace, and similar distances. Every"body" is different, but I think a medical opinion is best.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Succeed electeolyte caps. You're prob not taking in enough electrolytes and sodium if you're a heavy sweat-er. Sodium is essential especially in humid temps. Lack of can cause that bonk, cramping, light-headed feeling. I'm not a doc, but my experience in several different scenarios and the ultra distance makes me think I'm about 80% spot on. Go on the succeed site and look at the diagram that specifies different scenarios, and adjust accordingly. Private message me if you have questions or want more resources.

Texas84

Wanted to share some experience and recalled this thread.

I was actually worried about over hydration so I did some research on active.com. Found out I'm not drinking enough. From active.com:

Before: 10-20 oz. water, no electrolytes
During: 12-24 oz. water per hour, 400-800 mg per hour
After: 16-20 oz. water per pound lost, no electrolytes

http://www.active.com/a3_articles/6f8bd208-03fd-4a02-8f80-38251666fcb9/1?page=2

I started taking a Succeed S!Cap (341 mg) at 5 miles. In the past, I couldn't get enough fluids in me after a long run. No longer an issue. Definitely read what @Donald Duck says above about Succeed. Read the info and figure out what works for you. Might also want to ask your doctor. My doctor really emphasizes watching the sodium.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom