Hurricane Wilma aimed at FL, Cat 5!

Woody13

blackerbys17 said:
Well, why don't we all pray that this thing breaks up into at least a tropical storm? I live in Miami and that will make me happy. A tropical storm wouldn't be nearly as dangerous as a hurricane so that is what I am praying for.
Yes, I think you're right. The only thing we can do is hope and pray that the hurricane gets weaker or that it turns into a tropical storm. Most people, including myself, don't like to face their own mortality and that's what happens when a major hurricane is aiming for you. Sure, you can make preparations and take all the precautions you want to protect your property, but as for your life, all you can do is run or hide.

It's profoundly disturbing when we come to the conclusion that we are powerless when Mother Nature decides to wreck havoc whether by hurricane, wildfire, flood, tornado, earthquake, tsunami, blizzard, drought, volcano or any other natural catastrophe. We tend to believe that we are the masters of our domain until Mother Nature decides to show us who really is the boss. It is then we realize that we are powerless against these forces.

The real epitome of powerlessness is not the property damage. That can be repaired. But when friends and/or family members suffer injury or death, that makes you understand that we are just like a colony of insignificant little insects and when Mother Nature decides to go for a walk, some of us get squished. The financial burdens in rebuilding are often great but the mental anguish is greater.

To be honest, in the past when hurricanes have been bearing down upon my community, I have wished that they would go somewhere else (anywhere but here). I am sure that citizens of other communities have prayed just as hard (if not harder) that the same storm should come my way. After I was hit with a major hurricane, I saw first hand the devastation. I experienced the fear, anxiety and the financial burdens. I also saw the physical injuries, death and mental torment suffered by friends and family members. Due to that experience, I am a changed person.

So, it is my sincere hope that Wilma diminishes in strength to the point that it is a threat to no one.

peter11435

peter11435 said:
I am here in South Florida (on the East coast). I will most likely have no power or internet connection. We are as prepared as we can be and will just hope for the best. Good Luck to anyone else in the path.
Just wanted to check in while I still have power. The power has already went out four time but came back on after a few minutes each time. It could go any minute now. Its starting to get ugly here, but its only going to get worse.

peter11435

peter11435 said:
Just wanted to check in while I still have power. The power has already went out four time but came back on after a few minutes each time. It could go any minute now. Its starting to get ugly here, but its only going to get worse.
I am finaly able to check in. Had some minor damage but nothing to serious. High Speed Internet is still out so I am on dial-up (very very slow). I will be back to my regular posting as soon as my internet is back.

Woody13

peter11435 said:
I am finaly able to check in. Had some minor damage but nothing to serious. High Speed Internet is still out so I am on dial-up (very very slow). I will be back to my regular posting as soon as my internet is back.
Good to hear that you're ok. Go slow with assessing the damage. You may find things weeks or even months later that you missed on first inspection. Good luck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom