1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Survival Thread

Discussion in 'Weather' started by The Mom, Sep 12, 2004.

1. luv

luv Well-Known Member

Being from the North, I thought I was all prepared. I have batteries, water, lamps, a crank radio and all that jazz. I keep enough cash around to get me through. Plus, while the heat totally sucks, I know it won't kill me. Don't have to worry about literally freezing to death. So I was all set.

Until I read your list, lol. Dehumidifiers! Bug spray! I'm making a new list now. :)

I love how coffee supplies are in not one, but two places on the list. You coffee peeps never fail to crack me up!

Thanks for this.

2. philipseymour

philipseymour New Member

[​IMG]
    Most coastal houses can be strengthened fairly easily. Have a family plan and rehearse it. Do not wait until the hurricane is approaching to decide who is going to be responsible for the tasks to prepare your home.

-Trim trees and bushes before hurricane season so that the wind can blow through easily. Limbs can become projectiles, breaking windows and damaging roofs.

-Make a list of loose items that need to be brought in or tied down such as patio furniture, garbage cans, plants, pool filter, etc. Don't forget the mailbox and TV antenna.

-Inspect the roof for loose tiles or shingles and debris.

-Know the location of the main electric breaker, water valve and gas valve.

-Put up your shutters to make sure: they fit; that you have all the necessary parts; that you remember how to install them.

cba likes this.
  3. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Mom, if I may add couple of things to your list. Being from South Florida, I've been through Andrew and the endless list of Hurricanes that plagued our area in 2004 and 2005. For water the general rule is 1 gallon of person per day. Have a few days worth of supplies because emergency crews may not be able to get to you. Gas up your car. Pumps will probably not work afterwards because most run on electricity. Have your important papers together in zip lock bags. Things like deeds, insurance policies and stuff. Also take pictures or video of property before the storm. It will make your life a whole lot easier when making a claim afterwards.

4. cba

cba Well-Known Member

This is a huge thread for me because Hurricane Sandy is coming my way.

5. Todd L

Todd L Well-Known Member

I live on Long Island ..We are on The North shore so We are somewhat Protected from the storm surge That The south shore will deal with But we are at greater risk of losing Power for a long time due to the amount of very old, big, heavy trees ..

I am lucky enough to have a camper and generator. The Camper fridge runs on l.p. gas and we can hold up in there pretty comfy for a week or so If we need to.

We hit the grocery store and filled the cupboard with non-perishables and are gonna bbq tonight and cleanout the freezer with the help of some friends.

We cleaned the Gutters, trimmed back all the trees we could and had to put away all the halloween decorations and patio furniture.

Looks like Halloween is gonna be a washout...maybe clear up as the day goes on!! Lets Hope.

We recently had some water damage in the house due to faulty skylights and It took WEEKS to clean up the mess and get the insurance money to pay for most of the damage...I pray they will be okay this time...Guess we will find out!!

Be safe everyone this thing is supposed to affect out area for 2 and a half days.....good luck!!

cba likes this.
  6. labiokses

labiokses New Member

I like it. Good Idea