Hurricane Survival Thread 2017 updates!

Woody13

TAC said:
Hi Woody,

It's Tom, BTW. :) No, you are NOT a fool!

ou have done a lot of research about generators, fuel, etc. I did not know about the life of diesel fuel. I was going on the fact that I heat up here in NJ with oil heat. "Oil" is actually #2 diesel fuel, and I've never heard of "oil" going stale. Of course burning it in an oil furnace is a lot different than burning it in a small or medium sized combustion engine. And, not drawing the fuel off the bottom of the container will keep sludge from fouling the burning chamber.

Since you want to stick with gasoline generators, I would suggest that you purchase good quality units. I don't know what brand Sams Club has, and from what I have heard, Honda makes an excellent unit.

True, running the units for extended periods would involve some maintaince issues. However, if you used a big gas tank, you could easily create a valve that you could stop the gas flow, and it would still keep the tubing (up to the valve) fully primed.

I think (not an expert) the biggest concern you would have about storing gas are the fumes. Also, if you storage shed is near residential areas, if I were your neighbor, I would not feel very safe! If your shed is near some commercial entity, wouldn't you have to mark the shed in such a way to clearly announce that you are storing cumbustible materials on site ? Remember too, that gasoline tends to explode, rather than burn. Whatever liquid that does not combust in the initial explosion does burn. However, it is not the liquid that explodes, it is the fumes.

Instead of 16 20 lb cylinders, have you considered maybe 6 50 lb cylinders ? I know my neighbor has a propane fireplace, and although I don't know the size of their two tanks, they are rather large.

It really looks like you have things tought out. I hope you don't have to execute that plan.

Tom :) :wave:

Hey Tom! :wave: Well, great minds think alike! Indeed the large propane gas tank option crossed my mind. As you can see here I can buy a 100 lb. tank for $80.00. Three of these tanks will provide enough fuel for two weeks. It's certainly a viable option.

The only problem with propane is the Btu content. It's on the low end of the scale compared to diesel or gasoline. However, the safety and convenience are hard to beat.

I am glad you got me thinking about this idea again. I had almost discarded this option. I am sure Hank Hill would consider this to be the right choice!

Thanks for pointing me in another direction. Your other suggestions were top notch too! :wave:

Debbie

One thing I forgot to add in about the gasoline for the generators is: The only gas station open here was Murphys (WalMart), and it didn't open until Thurs. Only vehicles were allowed to fill up; no containers. The line stretched a mile at one point, but with this location being the only one open closest to New Orleans, it was understandable. We drove to Morgan City, which is about a 45 minute drive. Obviously, when we went, anyone who needed gas put their cans in our truck!

Debbie

Woody13 said:
MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure that you are totally self sufficient for ALL your needs. I say this because our local emergency management operations center was totally destroyed by Ivan and they were unable to offer any help. We had no police, fire or any other protection for many days. I had to chase off looters from my area. A firearm is a necessity (with training how to use it) and a GOOD first aid kit! Plus, you need medicine (month or more supply) for whatever ails you!

I went back and re-read this entire thread. Firearms: Woody, what do you carry? Don just bought a .45 Ruger and he wants to make the next gun show to get me one. I want to get a concealed weapons permit. Also, I hate to say it, but crime is up a little bit in my area since Katrina. Two nites ago, someone in a stolen truck, broke in a house in the back of the subdivision. The wife was home sleeping and thankfully, she didn't panic. She called 911 and the Sheriff's Office got the perpetrator. So, I thought about getting a .40 Glok because it's lightweight. Many law enforcement officers carry them, but with two boys here, I'm concerned with the safety issues that come with the Glok. My father (retired NOPD) thinks it's too much gun for me........Don wants to get me a .40 caliber Ruger. So what do you think?

Woody13

Hi Debbie! :wave: I have a Sig Sauer P226 (.40 S&W caliber) and a Sig Sauer P232 (.380 ACP). For concealed carry I would recommend a good .380 ACP pistol. If you choose a semi-auto pistol, you must try it out on the range and put a few hundred rounds through it. I don't know your physical characteristics, but women generally have weaker wrists than do men. A weak or relaxed wrist often causes a semi-auto to jam with a "stove pipe". The empty case fails to be completely ejected and the slide hangs up on the empty case. If you are prone to this problem (a lot of women are), you might want to stick with a good revolver (such as a .38 caliber Colt or S&W).

Your safety concerns are valid. Young ones are always very curious and they will search for and find firearms. My habit is that if any of my weapons are not under my immediate control, then they are locked up (and so is the ammo).

I completely sympathize with your concern about increased crime. We experienced a similar increase in criminal activity after both Ivan and Dennis.

Debbie

I went and got flood insurance yesterday for a piece of mind. I also was surprised of the very few options with flood. State Farm handed me a list of coverage : $20,000/$8000 $30,000/12,000 and so forth up to $250,000/$100,000. My house isn't worth $250,000 but I have the $100,000 in contents. However, ALL flood policies go on depreciation; and buying xtra contents insurance isn't an option with this method. But, if you can believe it, the top flood coverage in my zone is only $317.00 per year. After explaining to my agent that I wanted to avoid what the residents of St. Bernard and other parishes experienced (losing EVERYTHING), she suggested the $150,000/$60,000 saying should that occur here, cataloging everything would probably bring all the depreciation to the $60,000 in contents. I'm going to look into another policy somewhere that, if at a reasonable price, would give us an extra blanket of protection, that's if one such policy exists?

Woody13

While you pay the flood insurance premium through State Farm, the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is administered by FEMA. You can see all the rates and coverage here;

http://www.dnr.state.ne.us/floodplain/flood/Insurance/FloodRatesHomepage.html

If you ever have to make a claim, you won't be dealing with State Farm, you'll have to deal with FEMA. Flood insurance is totally a government program. Also, you will find that FEMA will be at odds with your insurance company as the result of a claim if there was flooding. Then, it gets down to the flood damage versus wind damage question. FEMA and your insurance carrier may both end up refusing to pay for your damage and accuse each other of being responsible.

We have lots of homeowners in Florida that have still not collected a dime of their insurance claim because neither FEMA nor their insurance carrier will admit responsibility for coverage!

Woody13

I would like to extent my thanks to Target! My wife and I shop there a lot. As many of you know, I never pay retail. It's not in my nature. I think that I have the gene that causes me to search for discounts. I have always been this way. I don't buy on impulse. I take my time.

I always set an agenda and a list in my mind for items I need and then search for the best deal. As I previously stated, I have been in the market for an emergency generator. Thus far, the best deal I'd been able to find was a 5600 Watt (8600 Surge Watts) with a10-HP Briggs & Stratton OHV Engine sold at Sam's Club. It's called the PowerBoss (model 030230).

I searched all the local stores and the Internet stores as well, but the Sam's Club deal was still the best. It's a great generator and I was waiting for the upcoming tax free holiday in order to buy one. In the meantime, I still had my eyes open to other alternatives. Today at Target, I found a super deal!

I tend to shop the endcaps at Target and look for the clearance items. I found a Coleman Powermate 5000 watt (6250 surge watts) generator (model PM0545006) for the clearance price of $349.98 (marked down from $699.00 which is 50% off).

It has the same 10-HP Briggs & Stratton OHV Engine as the other model. I told my wife to guard the generator (with her life) while I summoned a Target associate to get a flatbed cart. After all, this thing is 150 lbs. in weight.

In addition, we signed up for a Target credit card and got 10% off of the clearance price! So, our total out the door price was $333.88 (including tax). We'll pay off the Target card next month and then cancel it, unless they offer other incentives.

The best price I have found on this unit via the Interent is $605.69 plus shipping costs. With free delivery, I found the same unit for $730.00.

It's a very nice generator set and will meet my needs (although I hope I never need it). It will easily power my refrigerator/freezer and 2 small (10,000 Btu) window A/C units with power to spare. I plan to buy the window A/C units at Lowes when they start stocking them again.

So, I am now one big step closer in my emergency preparations. Also, I would like to point out that the staff at Target was very friendly and helpful. They loaded the generator onto the flatbed cart, pushed it up to customer service and made the credit application quick and easy (we have excellent credit, so it was automatic).

Another Target associate (a big guy) pushed the flatbed out to the curb and loaded the generator into my car. Great service! Thanks again Target!:sohappy:

Debbie

Woody! That is a fantastic find! I don't go to Target often, and would have never thought to check there for a generator. We actually were supposed to get 2 more generators while we were evacuated, but we didn't have the room, and there wasn't any point in getting them if the people weren't coming home anytime soon.
Have you read about the problems with looting that are still going on? My dad spoke to someone who's daughter came home to find her townhouse looted and what they didn't take; they destroyed. The vandals had the audacity to take pictures of all of their fun. Only thing, they forgot the camera in this girls apt............My dad told the lady to have several sets made, and he is assisting them in investigating this. and guess what? the vandals are vanilla! six men were arrested last week for looting and I suspect these could be the guys. They are working in packs; not individually.

SpongeScott

Woody13 said:
I would like to extent my thanks to Target! My wife and I shop there a lot. As many of you know, I never pay retail. It's not in my nature. I think that I have the gene that causes me to search for discounts. I have always been this way. I don't buy on impulse. I take my time.

I always set an agenda and a list in my mind for items I need and then search for the best deal. As I previously stated, I have been in the market for an emergency generator. Thus far, the best deal I'd been able to find was a 5600 Watt (8600 Surge Watts) with a10-HP Briggs & Stratton OHV Engine sold at Sam's Club. It's called the PowerBoss (model 030230).

I searched all the local stores and the Internet stores as well, but the Sam's Club deal was still the best. It's a great generator and I was waiting for the upcoming tax free holiday in order to buy one. In the meantime, I still had my eyes open to other alternatives. Today at Target, I found a super deal!

I tend to shop the endcaps at Target and look for the clearance items. I found a Coleman Powermate 5000 watt (6250 surge watts) generator (model PM0545006) for the clearance price of $349.98 (marked down from $699.00 which is 50% off).

It has the same 10-HP Briggs & Stratton OHV Engine as the other model. I told my wife to guard the generator (with her life) while I summoned a Target associate to get a flatbed cart. After all, this thing is 150 lbs. in weight.

In addition, we signed up for a Target credit card and got 10% off of the clearance price! So, our total out the door price was $333.88 (including tax). We'll pay off the Target card next month and then cancel it, unless they offer other incentives.

The best price I have found on this unit via the Interent is $605.69 plus shipping costs. With free delivery, I found the same unit for $730.00.

It's a very nice generator set and will meet my needs (although I hope I never need it). It will easily power my refrigerator/freezer and 2 small (10,000 Btu) window A/C units with power to spare. I plan to buy the window A/C units at Lowes when they start stocking them again.

So, I am now one big step closer in my emergency preparations. Also, I would like to point out that the staff at Target was very friendly and helpful. They loaded the generator onto the flatbed cart, pushed it up to customer service and made the credit application quick and easy (we have excellent credit, so it was automatic).

Another Target associate (a big guy) pushed the flatbed out to the curb and loaded the generator into my car. Great service! Thanks again Target!:sohappy:
Woody, as a former Target team member and a still loyal guest, thanks for the good word. If you are smart and savvy, you can find good deals on clearance endcaps (back of the aisle). I'm surprised you found a generator there; I never saw one while working there. Good deal for you--and at 50% off. As for the CC, you'll get another 10% discount for every $1000 you spend at Target, or for every $2000 you spend outside of Target. I hated pushing those things unless it really helped out guests like you making very large purchases.

You done good!:)

Woody13

Debbie said:
Woody! That is a fantastic find! I don't go to Target often, and would have never thought to check there for a generator. We actually were supposed to get 2 more generators while we were evacuated, but we didn't have the room, and there wasn't any point in getting them if the people weren't coming home anytime soon.
Hi Debbie! I never thought to look for a generator at Target either. I had never seen them there before. But there it was on the endcap. When Target puts an item on clearance, they put a tiny red sticker price on it.

The tag shows the original price and the clearance price. The tag is so tiny, it's hard for me to read. I'm a tall guy, so I had to get down on my knees to see it! I thought it was a mistake.

Then, after I saw the cheap price, I figured that this was a returned item or damaged or bottom of the line merchandise. There must be something wrong with this generator. So, I started to examine the generator from top to bottom and everything was in perfect condition and that the PM0545006 was a top of the line unit (I called a friend to check for me). I got it while I could.

When I got it home and out of the box, it was pristine. As I said, I hope I never need to use it. However, it gives me a sense of security to know that I have it if needed.
Debbie said:
Have you read about the problems with looting that are still going on? My dad spoke to someone who's daughter came home to find her townhouse looted and what they didn't take; they destroyed. The vandals had the audacity to take pictures of all of their fun. Only thing, they forgot the camera in this girls apt............My dad told the lady to have several sets made, and he is assisting them in investigating this. and guess what? the vandals are vanilla! six men were arrested last week for looting and I suspect these could be the guys. They are working in packs; not individually.
Yes, I have heard of the problems you mentioned. It makes me angry. I know lots of people that live in the coastal Mississippi area. We've helped several friends from that area relocate to Florida. I really dislike robbers and burglars. I hope they get the maximum punishment allowed by the law!
SpongeScott said:
Woody, as a former Target team member and a still loyal guest, thanks for the good word. If you are smart and savvy, you can find good deals on clearance endcaps (back of the aisle). I'm surprised you found a generator there; I never saw one while working there. Good deal for you--and at 50% off. As for the CC, you'll get another 10% discount for every $1000 you spend at Target, or for every $2000 you spend outside of Target. I hated pushing those things unless it really helped out guests like you making very large purchases.
You done good!:)
I know exactly what your saying. My wife works retail and often shares the same sentiment with me (and she has to get email adresses as well). As I told Debbie, I too was very surprised to see a 5000 watt generator at Target. But, I think they were just doing their best to be good to the community. Our area had 2 major hurricanes that hit us within 9 months of one another (Ivan and Dennis). Power was out for a long time as a result of both storms. At one time, I remember every home center and Wal*Mart in the area had their isles jammed with generator sets. Even Big Lots was selling generators!

I've always liked the Target people. They really seem to be a cut above the other retailers.

Woody13

I've been moving ahead with my plans to survive hurricane season. The generator that I bought (Coleman Powermate, Premium Plus 5000 Model PM0545006) is equipped with 2 standard 15 Amp, 115 VAC outlets and 1 NEMA# L14-20R, 20 Amp, 1 - 120/240 VAC outlet.

This created a small problem in that I plan to run 3 major appliances (refrigerator/freezer and 2 window A/C units) simultaneously. So, with only two 115 volt outlets on the generator panel, I would have to run two of the items from one extension cord. I didn't like that idea, so I came up with another plan.

Briggs and Stratton and a few other companies make heavy duty extension cords that hook up to a standard 240 VAC twistlock generator receptacle and split the power into four 120 volt, 15 amp outlets. These cords are rather expensive. They sell for about $90.00. However, they offer a safe and very effective method to split and distribute generator power.

I have been in the process of shopping for one of these cords. I checked the Internet, Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, True Value Hardware and a couple of local generator sales outlets. I couldn't find a deal anywhere! But, I was in no big rush since hurricane season is still 3 months away. I decided to just wait and watch (as I did with the generator).

Today, I was at the local Pep Boys store and I noticed they had a big display of generators for sale and they had a 12 gauge, 25 foot, 240 VAC twistlock generator cord (4 prong) which splits into four 120 volt, 15 amp outlets for $40.00! I snapped it up in a hurry. I already have four, 50 foot 12 gauge grounded extension cords. So I now have enough heavy duty extension cords to power my appliances while keeping the generator a safe distance away from the house. I also want to make sure that none of my extension cord runs to each appliance exceed 100 feet. I also installed eye hooks on the eves of my house so that I can attach a tarp and, with poles, suspend the tarp to protect the generator from rain.

The next problem I had to confront involved total power output. The generator will put out a continuous 5,000 watts (6,250 surge watts), but running it at that high a level is not a good idea. At high wattage levels, gas consumption increases dramatically and the room for surge levels is reduced. All appliances with motors and/or compressors (AC units, refrigerators, fans, etc.) require extra wattage to get their motors/compressors started. An AC unit that runs at 800 watts might need a surge of 2,500 watts to get the compressor started. Therefore, some extra "overhead" is needed to accommodate surge wattage.

In researching generators, I've noticed that they always rate them at half load, so I decided to stick with that as a guideline. I have a Whirlpool 25 cubic foot, side by side, refrigerator/freezer. It draws 6.5 amps (748 watts). I plan to purchase two 8,000 Btu window AC units (Frigidaire Model FAA087P7A). Each window air conditioner draws 6.8 amps (782 watts). I plan to also run a ceiling fan (100 watts) and four compact florescent bulbs (108 watts). So, my total running watts amounts to 2,520.

I had stated in an earlier post that I planned on running two 10,000 watt AC units. I rejected that idea based upon the fact that each unit would draw 940 watts. The AC units combined with the refrigerator/freezer would end up drawing 2,628 watts. While it would work, I decided to scale back a bit in the interest of extending generator run time per gallon of gasoline.

Based upon the generator specifications, the unit will run for 11 hours on five gallons of gas at half load (2,500 watts). So, to be conservative, I'm only counting on running 9 hours per five gallon tank. Therefore, 80 gallons of gasoline should last me for 6 days (144 hours). Now, I am basing all of this on running these units 24/7. In reality, that will not be the case. For example, the refrigerator will actually be cycled off for most of the time and only kick in for about 6 to 8 hours per day.

Also, in a previous post, I mentioned that I had a storage building (away from the house) to store the gasoline. After some quick calculations, I realized that storing 80 gallons of gasoline (in 16, five gallon containers) was going to take up about 20 cubic feet of space. I decided to erect another storage building dedicated to the gasoline. I bought a Rubbermaid #3747 Horizontal Storage Shed. It holds 32 cubic feet and is ideal for my purpose. I bought it online at Amazon for $200.00 and had it shipped to my house for $25.00.

The only way I will know for sure if this will all work as I intend is to test my plan in real conditions. So, when the weather gets hot, I'll shut off the main breaker to the house for 36 hours and hook up everything to see first hand under "real" conditions how it all works. Based upon this test, I'll be better prepared in case another big storm comes to visit us.

Woody13

I am continuing to move along with my hurricane survival plans. Gasoline cans have been on my mind of late. I wanted to buy 14, five gallon gas cans. I just wanted to get the inexpensive Blitz plastic gas cans. Wal*Mart, of course, had the cheapest price on these at $4.68. So, in order to save the sales tax, I decided I would wait until Florida once again started its Hurricane Sales Tax Holiday. This normally happens in June.

While I was waiting, Wal*Mart decided to raise the price of its gas cans to $5.44! I checked 4 different Wal*Marts in my local area and they all raised their price on this item. This did not make me happy. Yesterday, I was visiting another community and I had occasion to go into their Wal*Mart. I found the gas cans at the old price of $4.68. I bought 14 cans because even with the sales tax it's still less expensive than $5.44.

I already have 5 smaller Blitz plastic gas cans (2+ gallons each). Therefore my total gasoline storage abiltiy is 80 gallons.

5gal.jpg

Woody13

As part of my ongoing hurricane plans, I purchased a Carbon Monoxide Detector today. This device is powered by a 9 volt battery. The instructions say the battery will last for 5 years. I put in the battery and mounted the device in a hallway just outside the master bedroom.

I've never really needed a CO detector before because my house is all electric. None of my appliances have an open flame or produce CO. However, since I now own a power generator, I decided to be on the safe side. I read a lot of stories about people that died from CO poisoning due to improper generator use after the many hurricanes during the last 2 years.

Since my hurricane survival plan involves running the generator (outdoors in a well ventilated area) and running 2 window air conditioners at night, I just wanted to add another layer of safety. I kept thinking, "What if exhaust from the generator gets sucked into the house from one or both of the window A/C units"? I don't plan to have the generator even close to either of the A/C units but I'd still rather be safe than sorry.

Woody13

I'm continuing to move ahead with my hurricane plans and I thought of a couple more items that will be of use. Of course, after a major storm, the power will be out and all the stores will be closed. Therefore, you must stock up ahead on all items you might need.

What happens if your sewer or septic drain clogs up after a storm? Do you have the tools to unclog the drain? I bought 6 quarts of Drano Max Gel to keep in storage for just such an event. I also bought 3 quarts of Lysol Mold and Mildew Remover. If you get a leak in your roof and your interior ceiling gets wet, black mold will start to grow very rapidly after a storm. By using the aforementioned Lysol product, you can stop the mold and mildew in its tracks. :wave:

Woody13

Thanks for the advice Tom. That's a good idea. My genset will put out a total of 41.6 amps @ 120 volts (or 20.8 @ 240 v). However, the power is split up so that 20.8 amps are available at the twistlock connector and 20.8 amps are available at the two 120 volt receptacles. Both sides are protected by their own 20 amp circuit breakers.

My plan is to divide the load evenly on both sides so that I will draw no more than about 10 amps on either side. The extension cords I'm using are all three wire grounded 12 gauge copper, rated for outdoor use. So called, "contractor grade". None of the cords will exceed 75 feet in length. I also have four short GFCI 12 gauge extension cords that I can use as needed.

I also have all of my gasoline stored. When I saw prices heading up, I figured I better not wait until hurricane season to buy the gas. So, I now have 80 gallons in storage.

I mounted one of the 8,000 Btu window A/C units in the master bedroom and I've been using it for the last week. It works great. I can turn that bedroom into a deep freeze if I desire! I am now modifying the hurricane shutter for that window to protect the A/C unit as well. :wave:

Debbie

We are getting a trailer for free! This guy that grew up down the street from me parked his trailer at my dad's. It is an 8' enclosed. Don and I are going to look at it today and see if it needs any welding, etc. and I'm going to get my dad to get the registation papers so we can insure and change it to our names. I would much rather have a trailer like this, for security reasons. But we have to get moving on this so we can check out the axle, berrings (sp?), and maybe paint it. I want to paint it yellow with purple paw prints so if anyone would want to steal it; it will stick out like a sore thumb in Texas!
We are also starting to stack the 'take with us' containers on one side of our garage and the 'leave' on the other. In considering things, I looked at what I could salvage for my neighbor and girlfriend, and what didn't hold up in water. Outdoor lights, yard art, etc.........glasses, plates, etc do OK sitting in water.......Stainless flatware doesn't. I can't decide what to do with my 1984 World's Fair poster, the Pontchartrain Beach print or my coveted LSU? Do I stick them as high as I can store them? Or stick them under my seat of the truck?
Also, another tip I learned: when leaving for evacuation; LOCK YOUR FREEZERS and bungee your refrigerator shut. The grossest thing about gutting homes is coming to the spilled contents of the icebox. I vow to do everything in my power to make sure my appliances won't float and the doors come open.

Woody13

Hurricane season is getting close and I thought of a good tip I forgot to add earlier. If you decided to shelter in place (as we do) and you put up hurricane shutters, then make sure that each shutter has a "peephole" to let some light in during the day and also so that you can see out during the storm to monitor damage.

All of my plywood shutters have a 2 1/2" hole in the center at eye level so we can see outside during the storm. During the day, it lets enough light in so its not pitch black in each room.

Also, if you use plywood shutters, then protect them with paint or polyurethane. CDX exterior plywood will warp if it is left in the rain. A couple of coats of paint will protect the wood and actually make it stronger. :wave:

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Woody, would the holes make them less effective? I also didn't like the darkness when they're in place. And I hadn't thought of painting the wood; time to get going on that. (My plywood, cut to window size) is out in the garage. I just have to remember to relabel them as I go.

Woody13

The Mom said:
Woody, would the holes make them less effective? I also didn't like the darkness when they're in place. And I hadn't thought of painting the wood; time to get going on that. (My plywood, cut to window size) is out in the garage. I just have to remember to relabel them as I go.
Indeed, with good fitting shutters, it's so dark in the house you can't see a thing without a flashlight. One of my neighbors evacuated to Michigan for Ivan and he contacted me after the storm and asked me to check on his house. I have a key to his house (which he gave me several years ago) and when I went over to his place, I couldn't see a thing without my flashlight. Those shutters blocked out everything!

All of my plywood shutters had the peepholes during Ivan and Dennis and they worked just fine. Of course, if a baseball sized object or a tree limb of that diameter came straight at the hole, you'd be in trouble. The likelihood of that happening is slim, but still possible. The solution is hardware cloth (chicken wire). Just staple some chicken wire over the hole and you're protected.

I suppose your other concern is that the peephole might allow the wind to get in behind the shutter and pull if off. If that concerns you, then a small Plexiglas panel could be screwed into place to cover the opening. During both Ivan and Dennis my shutters worked flawlessly. I have inset windows, so I use Plylox Clips to secure the shutters in place. The shutters held tight through the worst of the storms. I also used some indoor/outdoor carpet to protect some large windows.

Another good thing about the peephole is that is gives you a great handhold when putting the shutters up. Window sized plywood panels can be very cumbersome to maneuver into place. The peephole allows you to get two or three fingers into the hole to grip and move as needed (even with chicken wire, although I would wear some gloves).

As I am sure you know, when the wind starts to howl, you begin to hear a lot of strange and frightening noises. During Ivan, one of my neighbors called me and she was almost hysterical. She thought her roof was being ripped off her house and she wanted to come over to my house with her small children. I was able to look out one of my peepholes and determine that her roof was still in good shape so I told her to stay put. Had she left her shelter during the storm, there is no doubt in my mind that she and her family would have suffered serious injury. :wave:

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas, guys. :kiss: And you're right; the shutters are hard to handle, especially passing them up to the second floor.

I'll look into the chicken wire idea. It sounds the easiest, and cheapest. (I have a LOT of shutters!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom