Hurricane Survival Thread 2017 updates!

tigsmom

cru5h said:
Re: the dialysis/nebulizers and generators - There was one radio station that continuously talked and talked and connected people with each other. When someone called begging for a generator for a health reason, someone locally responded. It was awesome.

Isn't it great when everyone bands together?
The other year when we had a huge blackout everyone got together...the younger people checking up on the older ones, people sharing whatever they had... thats the way to live. :cool:

Woody13

We're OK!

We all just survived IVAN! Northeast quadrant went right over top of my family and I (140 MPH sustained winds). Don't have power yet or phone, but I rigged up a temporary deal to get both (for now). To add to "The Mom" excellent list, I have some more information:

Nonperishable food, such as canned soup, peanut butter, Pringles and Meals Ready To Eat (MRE's) (if you can get them). MRE's are great because they require only a small amount of water to prepare a hot meal! We still have plenty of food, because I stocked up!

COOLERS! Keep a bunch of coolers on hand (big, small and medium). You will want cold drinks (soda, beer, etc.) and you can keep perishable food cool too! It took the National Guard three days to get to our area to set up ice distribution points. Also, save the ice water you drain from the cooler to flush your toilets!

Baby wipes work, but ultra-thick pre-moistened washcloths (such as "Comfort Bath") work better. They use these in hospitals for "bed baths". You can buy them at most good drug stores.

Tarps! After the storm you will want to have some big tarps on hand to mitigate the damage to your leaky roof. I just got through with nailing up two 30'x 50' blue tarps on my roof! Roofing nails are needed too.

If you have one of the newer "pressure flush" toilets (as Disney uses), you can't pour bath tub (or cooler) water into the back of your toilet to flush. So, you'll need to buy a few "portapotties" and a good amount of sanitizing solution to work with them. You can find these devices at most camping and/or boat supply stores.

Fluorescent battery powered lights work the best. They provide lots of light and don't use up the batteries too quickly. I have eight of them! You need light in the bathroom and/or on the potty.

MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure that you are totally self sufficient for ALL your needs. I say this because our local emergency management operations center was totally destroyed by Ivan and they were unable to offer any help. We had no police, fire or any other protection for many days. I had to chase off looters from my area. A firearm is a necessity (with training how to use it) and a GOOD first aid kit! Plus, you need medicine (month or more supply) for whatever ails you!

I'll think of more later. I'm still in shock!

P.S. We had to cancel our WDW vacation starting the 16th of Sept! The way things look, we won't be going to WDW for awhile.

tigsmom

OMG Woody! I had no idea that you were in harms way. I'm glad you came thru it ok (even though you are somewhat battered). Take care & do what needs to be done.

Thanks for updating the list, some of those I never would have thought of.

Nemmy

Tornadoes! One of the most overlooked things of hurricanes.

The following story is not about a tornado associated with a hurricane, but it's imporant, nonetheless.

I was sleeping, and then, instinct woke me up. I knew that there was a raging thunderstorm. All of a sudden, it became really quiet. I looked out the window, and saw a funnel cloud!!!!! It didn't look like it was heading to the left or right. It was getting bigger! It was headed right towards my apartment! I tried to go wake Zach and his parents up (we got a bit of wall chunked out so we could go back and forth), but they are heavy sleepers, and I was running out of time. Being on the second floor, I knew that we had mere minutes to go down to the first floor for shelter. Desperate, I only had one solution. I don't use my apartment's alarm usually, so I punched in the code and then opened a door. The alarm went off, and it's LOUD. Zach and his parents woke up instantly, and ran down the steps (with me in front). The tornado passed over us, but, on the first floor, we were safe.

So, if you need to wake people up during a tornado, if your alarm is activated, open a door. If it's not, arm it and then open a door.

Another thing that works is pushing the test button on a smoke detector (if it has one). My smoke detectors have a button to push that can be used if there's a fire, but nobody knows it, but the smoke detector didn't pick it up. They could also be used to test the alarm. They could also be used as a wake-up call.

P1010809.jpg

Woody13

It's been little over a month since hurricane Ivan visited us. I thought I would give you an update on what happened. We were lucky in that we got water service back within 3 days and we got power back in about a week.

The house suffered some damage but again we were lucky in that we know a lot of people that lost everything. I still have tarps covering my roof and here are some of the estimates I have gotten for repairs:

New roof: $8,600
Repair/Replace Privacy Fence: $5,760
Remove/Replace Attic Insulation: $2,120
Repair Ceilings and Sheetrock: $6,300
Remove hazardous trees: $4,560 (already done and paid)

So, that totals out to $27,340 so far. I still haven't gotten estimates for replacing my garage door and my carpet (we had no flooding, but wind driven rain came in under the front door and ruined the entire carpet).

Roofing shingles are in very short supply right now (as are roofing contractors) and I have learned that it might take up to 2 years before I can get a new roof on my house (I bought some extra tarps and roofing nails just in case).

My insurance adjuster (State Farm) has still not seen fit to visit me although I put in my damage claim on September 16. I have been promised that the adjuster will show up on November 12th. The late arrival by the adjuster might not be bad. Just the other day I removed a book from a built-in bookcase and found some water damage to the wall of which I had been unaware. That's just another item to add to the list of damages.

In short, it's going to take a long time to recover from this storm.

After Roof-Tarping (With Apologies to Robert Frost)

My ladder still leans against the house
It seems to hover,
And on the roof are bare spots I did not cover
(As points out my spouse)
Where the shingles were taken by wind's howl
But I am done with roof-tarping now.

And as the friendly sunlight fades and dies
My weariness grows - I am drowsing off.
But I cannot rub the strangeness from my eyes
The sight I saw when all my work was through.
I stand and sigh - my sweat-stained hat I doff,
It seems my neighborhood is turning blue.

I dropped a roofing nail to see it fall
And I was well
Upon my way to sleep before it fell
And I could tell
That the day in dreams I would soon recall -
Blue tarps flapping and crinkling in the wind
Until to the roof they bow
Where with nail and hammer they are pinned.
My sore right hand not only keeps the ache
It keeps the pressure of a handle round

And I keep hearing deep within my dreams
The sound of hammer's bang
On an endless field of blue - or so it seems -
And from my tired arm I feel a pang,
To end that I know not how,

Derrick

We're getting so much news coverage of the hurricans in Florida here in England.. It's bad enough to watch on TV, must be an absolute nightmare to live through. I wish all you people well that are going through it right now.

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
This thread was started a year ago, but is still relevant!

One thing I will add tomy supplies is an axe, and I'll have a ladder in place to get into the attic. (Although if we had warnings of flooding in our neighborhood, I would probably evacuate. Thank God I have the wherewithal to make a choice.)

Debbie

Having (and being able to afford) and generator was a godsend. We can write it off of our business if Fema won't pay. We bought a 5700 at Sam's in Katy, Texas for around $550.00. It is enough to run a small window unit (to cool a 12x25 room), the fridge, three fans, and TV. We could put a few other things on it, but the more you load it; the more gas it burns. Running what we did at nite (A/C, fans, and tv), it took 5 gallons for about 8hours. We would shut it down around 9am and restart around 5pm.
Florida water is hard to find, but I got some. It is very refreshing.

Also, when we evacuated, I took sheets, pillows, and towels. Contractor bags, although more expensive, hold up better than garbage bags. I took those things in case Don and I had to come home and rough it in a water damaged/wind damaged home. We also took our tent.
To carry enough to survive before and after almost requires a trailer! But proper preparation (and those Girl Scout badges) surely pays off!

Debbie

Just an FYI to add: FEMA did pay us for our generator. But before you go out and buy one; they only paid for the ones purchased between August 28-September 25. I didn't expect to be paid for it when we purchased it as I thought of a generator more of a luxury item than a necessity. It did save us alot of money not having to throw everything away in the fridge and freezer.
The heavy duty cords needed for the generator were not covered by FEMA. The FEMA rep said to put those on our insurance claim.
FEMA also paid for chainsaws this time.

Woody13

Your Suggestions, Please...

We're getting prepared for another hurricane season. Once again we plan to shelter in place since our house is not in a flood zone and we have taken extra precautions to secure the building against high wind damage. We have a large stockpile of provisions and emergency supplies.

Our experience from both Ivan and Dennis taught us some valuable lessons. To make life easier during an extended power outage, we have decided to buy a portable electric generator. Waiting in line for ice is not fun. Being in a hot house in Florida during the summer is not fun.

Governor Bush has once again proposed a hurricane preparedness sales tax holiday. If the Florida legislature concurs, then I'll be able to save the expense of sales tax on the generator and the gasoline cans I plan to buy.

My plan is to buy two small (10,000 Btu) window air conditioners and put one in the master bedroom and another at the other end of the house. Each of these A/C units consume about 1,000 watts (1,800 surge watts). My refrigerator/freezer also uses about 1,000 watts (2,000 surge watts).

The generator needed to run all this is available at Sam's Club for $600.00. It produces 5600 Watts (8600 Surge Watts) with a10-HP Briggs & Stratton OHV Engine and a 7 gallon gasoline tank. At half load (2,800 Watts), the generator will run for 12 hours on 5 gallons of gas.

I plan to run the A/C units 24/7, however, the refrigerator/freezer will only need to cycle on for 10 hours per day maximum. I realize that the 10,000 Btu A/C units will not cool the entire house. They will keep the house from becoming a hot box and remove some of the humidity. Better than nothing in my experience.

Therefore, based upon this premise, I'll need to store 70 gallons of gasoline in order to run the generator for one week. I recognize the hazards associated with gasoline storage and I have a safe place (away from my house) to store the fuel.

So, does anyone see any flaw in my plan? I'm open to suggestions. :wave:

MKCP 1985

The only problem I see is the risk of the gas becoming gummy and clogging your carbourator on your generator. I'll defer to you knowledge of gasoline storage . . .

Otherwise, you are planning to do exactly what I did in September. Gas powered portable generator for refridgerator and window unit a/c. Good luck to us all!

Woody13

MKCP 1985 said:
The only problem I see is the risk of the gas becoming gummy and clogging your carbourator on your generator. I'll defer to you knowledge of gasoline storage . . .

Otherwise, you are planning to do exactly what I did in September. Gas powered portable generator for refridgerator and window unit a/c. Good luck to us all!
Thanks for the input! :wave: You are correct about the gas going stale.

To solve that problem, I plan to use a fuel stabilizer (STA-BIL). One quart will treat up to 80 gallons of fuel and should keep the fuel fresh for 12 months.

I also intend to rotate the fuel stock throughout the summer. I will use the stored fuel (oldest cans first) to fill up my autos and then replenish the cans at the gas station on a weekly basis.

What was your experience with using a portable gas generator? How much fuel did it consume? Did you encounter any surprises?

MKCP 1985

Woody13 said:
What was your experience with using a portable gas generator? How much fuel did it consume? Did you encounter any surprises?
Well, my experience was that it was a real convenience to have around. I would not be at home during the day, so would come home at night and fire it off around 9:00 and it would run all night on a 5 gallon tank.

The nice thing was when my insurance company came calling, they gave me the option of either receiving full reimbursement for it and they take possession, or they would pay me half the expense and I keep it. That was pretty much what they did for anyone with a covered loss. I elected to keep it as I am pretty sure the power will go out again in my lifetime. :(

Woody13

MKCP 1985 said:
Well, my experience was that it was a real convenience to have around. I would not be at home during the day, so would come home at night and fire it off around 9:00 and it would run all night on a 5 gallon tank.

The nice thing was when my insurance company came calling, they gave me the option of either receiving full reimbursement for it and they take possession, or they would pay me half the expense and I keep it. That was pretty much what they did for anyone with a covered loss. I elected to keep it as I am pretty sure the power will go out again in my lifetime. :(
Thanks again for the information. As you mentioned, I consider a generator to be a convenience, but not a necessity. I find it strange that an insurance company would even consider any sort of reimbursement for the purchase of a generator! In Florida we call that FEMA's `Crazy' Generators.:wave:

Debbie

Don and I are getting ourselves situated too. We aren't ready for this again, mentally. We are getting a utility trailer and are planning to use it to bring the generators, the 12 gas cans or so, ice chests, etc. I'm getting a truck soon, and I plan to use it during evacuation to carry extra stuff.
We've learned that if it would be too painful to lose it; you need to bring it with you. Also..............,,,,,,,,,
tomarrow, I'm going to State Farm to reassess our insurance and make adjustments. I plan to up my contents, add flood, and up the contents part of the flood policy.

Woody13

Hi TAC. :wave: Thanks for the information. I want to keep this discussion in view for all to see because other people may benefit from the information and also because someone might jump in with a brilliant idea!

Your suggestions were good and I have given consideration to many of them. I had given serious consideration to a whole house generator. We don't have natural gas available in my area, so I would need to fuel the generator with either a diesel or propane tank. I would also have to wire it in at the main breaker panel with an automatic transfer switch. It certainly would be nice and, if I win the Florida lottery, I will install such a unit.

Obviously, the problem with any standby generator system is cost. Please understand that I have lived in Florida for about 30 years and I can count on one hand the number of big hurricanes that have come my way. The big hurricanes are a rather rare event. The odds are in my favor that I will never need to use an emergency generator. It's just that the boy scout in me keeps screaming, "be prepared"!

We shelter in place for all hurricanes because we know (from experience) that our house will survive. Evacuation is more trouble than it's worth. The roads clog up and there's not a motel room to be found even if you do get out. After the storm is over, law enforcement authorities seal off entire counties for days or weeks after the storm. Also, there's a bigger traffic jam when you try to return than when you left! So, no thanks, I ain't leaving!

We did well in both hurricanes Ivan and Dennis. However, after Dennis, it was so damn hot, I thought I was going to die! My wife and I could not sleep for several days and we were miserable. With that lesson learned I said, "never again".

So, my plan revolves around having an effective backup generator system at the lowest possible price (because, after all, I'll probably never use it). The first thing I had to consider was how many watts do I need in a worse case scenario. I don't need electricity for lights or radio or TV since I have battery units to fulfill those needs (and plenty of batteries). But to run the refrigerator and a couple of window A/C units, I need a generator.

Sam's Club has a 5600 watt generator (8,600 surge watts) for $600.00. I can buy two 10,000 Btu window A/C units at Wal*Mart for $400.00. I can buy 18 five gallon gas cans for $90.00 and it will cost me $207.00 to fill them with gasoline (at current prices). I can buy all these items tax free. Also, I already have plenty of 12 gauge extension cords to run the power from the generator (outside) to the appliances inside the house. Bottom line is that the whole deal will be less than $1,500.00. I think that is a small price to pay for such good insurance.

Also, I had thought about the one big gas tank idea too. The problem is, I wouldn't want to run the generator for more than 8 to 12 hours at a time. Maintenance needs to be done on these units and extended run periods can cause havoc! For such severe duty, the oil would need to be changed at least daily to be on the safe side.

I particularly liked your idea about going with diesel fuel. I had thought about that too and/or the use of propane. I rejected the idea because, actually, diesel doesn't store any better than gasoline. If you keep it clean, cool and dry, diesel fuel can be stored 6 months to 1 year without significant quality degradation. Storage for longer periods can be accomplished through use of periodic filtrations and addition of fuel stabilizers and biocides.

Another problem is that diesel generators are very expensive! They're designed for the long haul such as commercial applications. Also, diesel fuel is more expensive than gas (in my area) and diesel stinks like hell! Get one drop of diesel on your shirt and that shirt is history.

I would have no use for the diesel fuel, other than the generator. I don't have a car that runs on diesel but my cars do run on gas. Therefore, I can rotate the gas stock by using it in my cars on a regular basis and replacing the gas cans with fresh gas. I know that gasoline is more dangerous to store. I have a secure and ventilated out building for gas storage. Even if it did go up in flames, no other structures would be involved. Naturally, I would buy the gas long before a storm threatened and always maintain a 90 gallon supply during the hurricane season.

I have also thought about a tri-fuel conversion kit. This allows a regular gas generator to run either on gasoline, propane or natural gas. The common 20 lb. barbecue propane cylinder is equivalent to 5 gallons of gas in both cost and power output. A propane cylinder is a lot safer to store and the propane will never go bad! The conversion kit costs $200.00 which isn't too bad but the cost of 16 propane cylinders is prohibitive.

In a nutshell, that's my plan. Poke holes in it. Make suggestions. Tell me I'm a fool if you like (I know my buddy Connor will pounce on that!). I just want some help here and I want this information to perhaps help others too!

Debbie

Hi Woody :)
I can respect your decision not to evacuate. I dread having to do it, but our levees were at their capacity for Katrina and you know how the New Orleans area can hold water. Your plan is very well thought out. We thought carefully, but not long (we didn't have time), about what size generator would suit us. Powering the entire house, we felt was overkill.
We ran the freezer for 12 hours, shut it down for 36. Fridge, we ran during the day only. The little window unit we had cooled our 12 x 25 den sufficiently at nite. We had wall to wall mattresses, with a cousin and neighbor slumbering with us. We hung old, spare, blankets in the open case doorways to our hall, foyer, and kitchen and they really kept the cool air confined to the room. A comfortable nite's sleep really helps one cope the next day and we were fortunate to have a home to live in. We ran the TV (with the old fashioned antenae (sp?)) but the only channel airing signed off at 10pm. We've gotten one of those crank/solar radios at Bass Pro Shops. The more things we powered on the generator; the more gas we burned. Not knowing how long we'd be out of work, how long we'd be out of electricity; we needed to conserve. We cooked on a camping stove outside. By Thursday after Katrina, Red Cross was giving out water and ice then MREs. I didn't do the MREs because of the sodium and high caloric content.
One question for everyone: what insurance advice do y'all have? I'm going tomarrow and I want to make an educated decision on how much is enough? and how much could be too much?

Woody13

Hi Debbie. :wave: Everything you said makes perfect sense. If I lived in a flood zone, I'd get out too. Flood water is unrelenting and you can't defend against it. Your decision to leave is wise.

I really liked the idea about hanging blankets to confine the cool air to specific locations. That's a super idea! Thanks for the input. I'm now modifying my plan to incorporate your idea.

As for the "old fashioned" antenna, we have the same thing. Cable always goes out in a storm, so I don't even fool with it. After Ivan, I installed a TV antenna that will survive even a category 5 storm! I have a separate coaxial cable hooked up so that I can plug in a battery powered TV and/or radio to the antenna. I have enough batteries to last for at least a month. During Ivan, most of the radio and TV stations went down due to various damage ranging from total destruction to transmission tower collapse.

Our county emergency operations center was completely destroyed. We had no police, fire or rescue squad for several weeks. We were literally "in the dark".

I'm with you on the food. No MRE's for me! We also have several camp stoves and a BBQ grill to cook our food. Heck, most of the year I cook 95% of our meals on the BBQ. We had salmon this evening.

I'm also on track with you about the conservation issue. You just never know how long the power will be out, when the stores will reopen (for food, water and gasoline) and when other essential services will come back on line. It makes sense to conserve stockpiled resources.

As for insurance, I too have State Farm. You most likely have the standard HO1 policy which should cover the replacement value to rebuild or repair your home (with the exception of flood damage). Flood insurance is provided by FEMA (even though State Farm will collect the premium). You can estimate your flood insurance cost here;

http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/premiumest.jsp

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom