Hurricane Irma

prfctlyximprct

My poor friend leaves for Disney on Wednesday! Hoping everyone stays safe! Hurricane Harvey showed what we can overcome when humanity comes together, glad to see Florida preparing in advance. Will be thinking of everyone visiting and living in Irma's path.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Whatever happens this weekend, major kudos to the many cast members who are going to ride this out at work, many voluntarily choosing to go in to man the hotels, kitchens, clean, and keep guests safe. No one really thinks about it while on vacation but many of these cm are going to be away from family and home to do their jobs. WDW can't simply just close.

JohnD

Original Poster
We are slated to arrive Sept 30...so after the storm hits, but my concern is the integrity of the bulidings and power etc. Does anyone know protocol? I called this morning but I was on hold for a long time and had to hang up. We've had our trip booked since last July and made this "our trip to remember" with grandparents etc....we are on the free dining plan but still have she'll dout over several thousand dollars to get the trip together. I'm praying for safety of everyone first and just wondering where this leaves us?

I'm supposed to arrive 9/16. My biggest concern is for the guests in the middle of it obviously. I'll have a first world concern on what I'll be arriving into on 9/16.

JohnD

Original Poster
The weather forecaster at WJXT 4 thinks it will start making a turn to the north toward Miami on Sunday because of a low pressure system to the north. That would bring it up the center of the state and back out into the Atlantic around Cape Canaveral then continue northward off the Jax east coast. That means WDW receives a huge impact. Just one long range forecast so who knows?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The weather forecaster at WJXT 4 thinks it will start making a turn to the north toward Miami on Sunday because of a low pressure system to the north. That would bring it up the center of the state and back out into the Atlantic around Cape Canaveral then continue northward off the Jax east coast. That means WDW receives a huge impact. Just one long range forecast so who knows?
Look to the midnight run of the European model. The 12z run matched up pretty solidly with the GFS model. Still very far out and many things can still change. Models are not forecasts, models beyond the 96 hour mark should always be treated with skepticism.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

That is what models seems to be trending at right now but a lot has changed in 24-48 hours. A little shift one way or the other can be a HUGE difference in this track and timing of the turn/land impact

Hoping this ends up turning sooner and going back out to sea but so far it doesn't look to be likely. May be a double hit. Florida then the Carolinas but again it's just too early. We'll see how this changes

Either way with the size of this storm it is extremely likely Disney will feel some impact. How much is to be determined

wdwjmp239

Hello WDWMagiceers/WDWMagicians,

I'm down here in Southwest Florida (Fort Myers to be exact) and I've been watching this thing since it went from a tropical wave off the coast of Africa to a Tropical Storm within 48 hours. When I saw this, this caught my attention and I've been obsessed with it ever since. Now that the hurricane watches and warnings have been posted for some of the Caribbean Islands, IRMA has pretty much been my life. Right now, the 5 day cone will take IRMA (based on the 5pm EDT advisory on 9/4/17) through the Florida Straits. The Florida Straits is extremely warm water (the Gulf Stream runs through here) and that's why they are forecasting this thing to stay at a Category 4 right up until the weekend. Here's the thing....the center of IRMA (where the heavy winds are) will be well south of Fort Myers, but we will experience winds of up to strong Tropical Storm force, if not marginal Category 1 hurricane winds (74-95 mph). If IRMA jogs north, it'll be a different story. If she goes south, we'll be in a better position. The wind field around IRMA is pretty massive so even with the storm forecasted to be over the Turks & Caicos islands by Friday, we'll start feeling the Tropical Storm force winds on the west coast.

Right now, we're hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney shuts down park operations this weekend. So, if anyone is planning a trip to Disney this weekend....you may want to call ahead and to make sure that everything is OK (or not).

Below is the wind field probability (Tropical Storm/Hurricane force winds).

upload_2017-9-4_19-38-50.png

And then there's this one... LOL!

upload_2017-9-4_19-39-46.png

To those of you in Florida - be safe guys! We'll come out just fine on the other side of this....#BusinessAsUsual #FloridaIsOpenForBusiness

disney4life2008

How would Disney be affected if this hurricane came right through it?

Disney closed for one day last year. And to be honest the hurricane was more of a bad tropical storm. It was supposed to hit us directly in the middle of the night and morning but went the other direction. We couldn't leave our houses but I'm a storm chaser i did. By 2pm it looked like a regular stormy day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom