Hulk Trains Scrapped

A foolish mortal

The new Hulk trains
HULKTRAINSCREENGRAB2 copy.jpg

http://thrillgeek.com/2016/05/video-we-are-possibly-about-to-see-the-new-hulk-roller-coaster-trains/

Bairstow

Spiffy!

Though I have to wonder- how far along in construction are they?
Shouldn't most of what the concept art shows already been built?

Cam Eplion

I'm sure most of the work in the queue is completed. I did see some pictures a few days ago of Storm Force, the entrance had to be rerouted by Doom due to the outside work being done on Hulk.

Cam Eplion

That roar always reminded me of where I was. I'd wake up at Hard Rock and hear it in the morning and knew that it was time. I hope it's still there once you get closer, but from the video I don't know if that'll be the case.

Tom Morrow

I don't for a second buy the claim that a few claiming to be "in the know" made that the previous track was worn out and warped and needed to be replaced. No B&M coaster has ever, ever, EVER needed even one section of it's track replaced, and many of them have almost a decade on Hulk. Steel coasters in general almost never get re-tracked.

This was about wanting quieter track and better trains, and since that is a hefty project in itself, deciding to revamp everything else too.

Last edited:

maxairmike

No B&M had near the cycle count that Hulk had when it closed, either. They were doing constant rail section replacements, which tells me the thing was beating itself up a lot towards the end of its life. Universal also pretty much "wrote the book" on replacing rail sections on B&Ms for other parks' maintenance teams. I didn't believe it myself initially, but that's true.

Tom Morrow

No B&M had near the cycle count that Hulk had when it closed, either. They were doing constant rail section replacements, which tells me the thing was beating itself up a lot towards the end of its life. Universal also pretty much "wrote the book" on replacing rail sections on B&Ms for other parks' maintenance teams. I didn't believe it myself initially, but that's true.
IOA is not the only park with B&Ms operating year round. So when are Kumba and Montu's track replacements happening? Kumba opened in 1993, and while it's true they don't cycle nearly as many trains per day as Hulk, wouldn't having 6 years on Hulk give them similar cycle counts? Or what about the B&Ms at Six Flags Magic Mountain? Expedition Everest and Revenge of the Mummy, although newer, probably also have a similar or even higher cycle count due to their multiple trains and extremely high capacity and dispatch intervals.

Or what about any B&M in a state that sees extreme heat in the summer and bitter cold in the winter? Wouldn't that also play a major factor in supposed "track warping"?

Hulk has never had a full *section* of track replaced, if it did it would require several days of work at a minimum and would have been documented by the internet. What you are describing is routine maintenance.

What kind of horrible investment would it be to purchase these 15-20 million dollar coasters knowing you'll have to rebuild the entire thing in 15 years? If this is indeed true about Hulk, then it is absolutely the exception. I'll buy that it needed more routine maintenance and repair than a typical B&M but, no, B&M tracks do not have a measly 15-20 year lifespan.

Last edited:
Can't wait to ride the updated version, Hulk is one of my favourite coasters. I will miss the roar though, kind of iconic for the Hulk :( I'll never forget the first time me and my dad went on it and had no idea about the first part of the ride:hilarious:

Bairstow

IOA is not the only park with B&Ms operating year round. So when are Kumba and Montu's track replacements happening? Kumba opened in 1993, and while it's true they don't cycle nearly as many trains per day as Hulk, wouldn't having 6 years on Hulk give them similar cycle counts?

That's a really good question, actually.
Would comparing the two parks' yearly attendance numbers be instructive in trying to come up with a rough estimate of the total lifetime cycles for Kumba/Hulk?
I guess park hours and the waning popularity of Kumba (these days it's often a walk-on running only one train) compared with Hulk's sustained appeal would be factors to consider as well.

Also, can't say I miss the roaring sound.
It's charming on Kumba but annoying on Hulk, where you couldn't escape the noise, even across the lagoon.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I'm with Tom B&M is the best. Coaster Roar is also a staple on B&M coasters. You can tell it's a B&M because of the box shape track most other coaster have circular track. The box is what gives B&M it's sound. However as some of the smaller parks had to deal with sound ordinances they had to move to a sand filled track that allows the trains to run quieter, sounds like universal is using this for their sound system here.

Finally as Tom said steel coasters do not ware out. They might roughen up but rarely do they need to be scrapped. Even more so when the coaster is a quality build from a leading manufacturer. So my question is any rumors as to where the old girl will end up?... because I would not be surprised if she finds her way to a six flags or cedar fair park near you.

lazyboy97o

I'm with Tom B&M is the best. Coaster Roar is also a staple on B&M coasters. You can tell it's a B&M because of the box shape track most other coaster have circular track. The box is what gives B&M it's sound. However as some of the smaller parks had to deal with sound ordinances they had to move to a sand filled track that allows the trains to run quieter, sounds like universal is using this for their sound system here.

Finally as Tom said steel coasters do not ware out. They might roughen up but rarely do they need to be scrapped. Even more so when the coaster is a quality build from a leading manufacturer. So my question is any rumors as to where the old girl will end up?... because I would not be surprised if she finds her way to a six flags or cedar fair park near you.
This thread is all about the coaster being scrapped and old track pieces are being used as scenic elements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom