Hulk Coaster Details Revealed

I've heard it described as "glass smooth" to "smoother than before" to "rougher than before" to "very rough".... I'm wondering if there's some sort of discrepancy between trains?

But it does look really awesome.

Apparently the ride goes from "glass smooth" in the front of the train, to "rough" in the back few rows. Haven't yet heard it being the same or worse than before.

JoeCamel

I've heard it described as "glass smooth" to "smoother than before" to "rougher than before" to "very rough".... I'm wondering if there's some sort of discrepancy between trains?

But it does look really awesome.

I have seen that the front is better than the back but almost all say it is a big improvement overall. I did see one that said they still got their head rattled but they were in the back and said it was better than before.

culturenthrills

Rode it in the middle. It is smoother than before but is as still as powerful as it was before. Love the onboard audio, really adds something new to the ride. Disappointed with queue. While it has a real modern look and looks great, almost a MCU look to it, compared to the very comic booky look of the past, the storyline is virtually non existent and it is very boring standing in that queue without a phone. The nightime lighting pkg though is great and this ride really is a must ride after dark. The headlights on the train look very cool. So the ride is back and in many ways better than the past.

trr1

Rode it in the middle. It is smoother than before but is as still as powerful as it was before. Love the onboard audio, really adds something new to the ride. Disappointed with queue. While it has a real modern look and looks great, almost a MCU look to it, compared to the very comic booky look of the past, the storyline is virtually non existent and it is very boring standing in that queue without a phone. The nightime lighting pkg though is great and this ride really is a must ride after dark. The headlights on the train look very cool. So the ride is back and in many ways better than the past.
what was the audio of?

Tom Morrow

Rode, here's my thoughts:

Pros:
- Night lighting is fantastic
- Interior queue and station look much classier than before
- Soundtrack is nice and adds to the ride (but could be louder)
- Launch tunnel looks cool (but I really think the screens should go all the way to the top)
- The sound effects for the launch when standing outside are awesome
- Trains look really awesome
- Entrance looks great

Cons:
- It isn't any smoother than it used to be, and might actually even be rougher. I can't help but think that this would have benefited from B&M's modern restraint systems, though I'm not sure if the track design could support them.
- While the queue does look nice, there isn't all that much to keep you entertained. I was expecting a highly detailed, overhauled queue. Instead, the same amount of sets as before are present. They just look a lot better. There are a lot of screens throughout the queue, and most of them only show computer readouts... and even those repeat way too often, almost as if there was meant to be intermittent video to convey story that is absent. Also, I really think the queue should have been fully enclosed and air conditioned... instead its just... somewhat air conditioned.
- This was the perfect opportunity to build some actual props and sets for the second portion of the ride, unfortunately it is still barren aside from some landscaping. You can still see backstage at the end, this could have been covered up... there was plenty of time.
- Everything just seems kind of unfinished. The queue and area do not look polished and there is a lot of scuffed paint and whatnot. This doesn't look like a new, completely rebuilt attraction, it looks like it's already had a few years of wear & tear.

Basically if this were just a refurbishment it would be a great one. But it wasn't, it was a complete rebuild and closed for almost an entire year, so it's a little disappointing how much wasn't done that could have been.

The biggest let down, though, is that the coaster isn't any smoother than it used to be and might be more rough. I mean, if there's one thing this should have improved...

Last edited:

primusjim

We rode the Hulk coaster today for the first time since the humongous refurb. Totally confused as to what the point of replacing the track was, because it was just as rough and painful as it was before. It's probably the second roughest steel coaster I've ever ridden after Viper at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I slammed my head into the shoulder restraints several times and came out with a massive headache. After experiencing the flexible restraints on Gatekeeper at Cedar Point (also built by B&M) a couple of years ago, I really can't understand why they would stick with the awful shoulder restraint seats in the brand new ride vehicles. The flexible restraints are more comfortable, feel more secure and give you the ability to look around while riding. I saw some speakers near my seat, but didn't hear anything on the ride at all.
Also, the new lockers. I scanned my annual pass and it gives us locker number 31. We put our stuff in and got in line. Afterwards we scanned my annual pass and it opens locker number 8, which was empty. Before we could even ask, the team member tells us she'll be with us in a moment as she's already helping someone else with the same problem. But this guy doesn't remember what locker he had. So they bring over park security and open ALL the lockers connected to the rental station he used. Probably forty lockers full of people's stuff popped open, made me really uncomfortable.

JediMasterMatt

Just a friendly reminder about Hulk and it's roughness. It's all dependent on the condition of the wheels on the train you are in. Since Universal didn't change out the launch mechanism and is still using the the pinch wheel rubber tire system, the wheel assemblies have to have a bit of slop in them to accommodate the condition of the launch tires. B&M's greatest strength in coaster design (their adjustable wheel assemblies) are negated on Hulk because of this. A great deal of B&M's smoothness comes from their ability to keep all three sets of wheels (road, guide, and upstop) in contact with the rail at all times.

With Hulk, if you get a fresh set of wheels - it minimizes this. Also, when the cooler weather harder compound wheels are in use, that helps keep the speeds up and helps seat the train into the track a bit more. *If you've ever wondered why some wheels are different colors, the different compounds are how they can adjust speeds to account for temperatures.

It's too bad they didn't swap out for an LSM driven launch. That would've allowed for the spring loaded/adjustable assemblies to be used.

culturenthrills

Rode, here's my thoughts:

Pros:
- Night lighting is fantastic
- Interior queue and station look much classier than before
- Soundtrack is nice and adds to the ride (but could be louder)
- Launch tunnel looks cool (but I really think the screens should go all the way to the top)
- The sound effects for the launch when standing outside are awesome
- Trains look really awesome
- Entrance looks great

Cons:
- It isn't any smoother than it used to be, and might actually even be rougher. I can't help but think that this would have benefited from B&M's modern restraint systems, though I'm not sure if the track design could support them.
- While the queue does look nice, there isn't all that much to keep you entertained. I was expecting a highly detailed, overhauled queue. Instead, the same amount of sets as before are present. They just look a lot better. There are a lot of screens throughout the queue, and most of them only show computer readouts... and even those repeat way too often, almost as if there was meant to be intermittent video to convey story that is absent. Also, I really think the queue should have been fully enclosed and air conditioned... instead its just... somewhat air conditioned.
- This was the perfect opportunity to build some actual props and sets for the second portion of the ride, unfortunately it is still barren aside from some landscaping. You can still see backstage at the end, this could have been covered up... there was plenty of time.
- Everything just seems kind of unfinished. The queue and area do not look polished and there is a lot of scuffed paint and whatnot. This doesn't look like a new, completely rebuilt attraction, it looks like it's already had a few years of wear & tear.

Basically if this were just a refurbishment it would be a great one. But it wasn't, it was a complete rebuild and closed for almost an entire year, so it's a little disappointing how much wasn't done that could have been.

The biggest let down, though, is that the coaster isn't any smoother than it used to be and might be more rough. I mean, if there's one thing this should have improved...

I would say barely air conditioned. I feel it is worse than it was before. There is almost no air circulation and when the queue is full the air just stagnates and smells like a locker room. It can get almost stifling. It makes me not want to ride at all when it is hot. The lack of story in the Q is disappointing. Esp considering they are making people wait without a phone they could have done something.

JoeCamel

Maybe they could put games in there?

I would say barely air conditioned. I feel it is worse than it was before. There is almost no air circulation and when the queue is full the air just stagnates and smells like a locker room. It can get almost stifling. It makes me not want to ride at all when it is hot. The lack of story in the Q is disappointing. Esp considering they are making people wait without a phone they could have done something.

Tom Morrow

Just a friendly reminder about Hulk and it's roughness. It's all dependent on the condition of the wheels on the train you are in. Since Universal didn't change out the launch mechanism and is still using the the pinch wheel rubber tire system, the wheel assemblies have to have a bit of slop in them to accommodate the condition of the launch tires. B&M's greatest strength in coaster design (their adjustable wheel assemblies) are negated on Hulk because of this. A great deal of B&M's smoothness comes from their ability to keep all three sets of wheels (road, guide, and upstop) in contact with the rail at all times.

With Hulk, if you get a fresh set of wheels - it minimizes this. Also, when the cooler weather harder compound wheels are in use, that helps keep the speeds up and helps seat the train into the track a bit more. *If you've ever wondered why some wheels are different colors, the different compounds are how they can adjust speeds to account for temperatures.

It's too bad they didn't swap out for an LSM driven launch. That would've allowed for the spring loaded/adjustable assemblies to be used.
Very interesting. Considering Hulk is one of the only rough B&Ms in existence, I figured it had something to do with the launch. Wasn't there talk of the launch system being redesigned? To be honest the entire project kind of smells like "severely slashed budget"

Previously I believe the queue had fans if my memory serves me right, but no air conditioning. Now, there are air conditioning vents but no fans. It honestly needs both.

Tom Morrow

Been thinking about this again and to me it does seem like sort of a botched refurbishment. I know there's speculation that replacing the entire track was something they had to do, and initially I scoffed at that, but the fact that the ride isn't actually any smoother gives that theory (I say theory since it isn't officially confirmed anywhere) more validity. Replacing the entire track means they either 1. had to, 2. wanted the coaster to be quieter, which it is, or 3. attempted a smoother ride experience.

Beyond that, its a disappointment that most of the on-ride changes are the lighting package, which, although it is awesome, is not experienced by most riders since the park often closes before sundown or only operates for an hour or so of darkness. The onboard music is pretty bad. They could have added some sets and theming to the second portion of the ride, but they didn't. The strangest thing to me, though, is that nothing looks new, the track is already really chipped and the whole area looks kind of dingy and beat up.

Just makes me think that, whatever the reason was behind this refurbishment, the project seems to have went through some troubles and budget cuts.

JoeCamel

Been thinking about this again and to me it does seem like sort of a botched refurbishment. I know there's speculation that replacing the entire track was something they had to do, and initially I scoffed at that, but the fact that the ride isn't actually any smoother gives that theory (I say theory since it isn't officially confirmed anywhere) more validity. Replacing the entire track means they either 1. had to, 2. wanted the coaster to be quieter, which it is, or 3. attempted a smoother ride experience.

Beyond that, its a disappointment that most of the on-ride changes are the lighting package, which, although it is awesome, is not experienced by most riders since the park often closes before sundown or only operates for an hour or so of darkness. The onboard music is pretty bad. They could have added some sets and theming to the second portion of the ride, but they didn't. The strangest thing to me, though, is that nothing looks new, the track is already really chipped and the whole area looks kind of dingy and beat up.

Just makes me think that, whatever the reason was behind this refurbishment, the project seems to have went through some troubles and budget cuts.

You left out rebuilding the footers. They are now in good shape

danpam1024

Personally, I thought it was actually a rougher ride. Gave me a headache:arghh:. My son didn't even want to ride a second time and he used to go again and again. The new lockers are the best though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom