Hubs is...Allergic to Onion and Garlic. GF, Cheese Free...

Qwertypurple

Original Poster
Hello!

So, I've done the special diets request, so we will be fine, but any suggestions of what food is awesome that doesn't have onion, garlic, gluten, or cheese?

Due to allergies, my husband eats a fairly paleo diet. I am looking through menus of various places, but does anyone else have a similar allergy and a success story of where they ate and what they did?

The current plan is to pack breakfast and snacks, and eat lettuce wrapped burgers and salads.
We ordered from gardengrocer.com, and have breakfast reservations at hollywood and vine character breakfast one meal, and garden grill another day. Other than that, we are doing quick serve.

Love to hear ideas!

DisneyPrincess5

How interesting...my mom has the exact same dietary restrictions and she eats very well at WDW a few times a year. Some of their favorites include Ohana, Flying Fish, Chefs de France, and more. The chef works with her well at each place. For QS spots, she orders a lot of salads and again works with them about what's in stuff and what's not.

correcaminos

Hello!

So, I've done the special diets request, so we will be fine, but any suggestions of what food is awesome that doesn't have onion, garlic, gluten, or cheese?

Due to allergies, my husband eats a fairly paleo diet. I am looking through menus of various places, but does anyone else have a similar allergy and a success story of where they ate and what they did?

The current plan is to pack breakfast and snacks, and eat lettuce wrapped burgers and salads.
We ordered from gardengrocer.com, and have breakfast reservations at hollywood and vine character breakfast one meal, and garden grill another day. Other than that, we are doing quick serve.

Love to hear ideas!
I have allium issues as well. Chefs have been more than helpful with making meals for me. I am lucky in that mine is mild and the more the onion is processed, the less of a reaction I get. I know foods that are safe for me in QS, but sit downs, I let them help me. Onion is in sooo many things. You might be safer doing TS over QS for meals but they try to help as well. Like you we have a lot of safe foods in our room.

Last month we ate at Sanaa, Spice Road Table, Captains Grille, Skipper Canteen and BOG without issue.

Qwertypurple

Original Poster
I have allium issues as well. Chefs have been more than helpful with making meals for me. I am lucky in that mine is mild and the more the onion is processed, the less of a reaction I get. I know foods that are safe for me in QS, but sit downs, I let them help me. Onion is in sooo many things. You might be safer doing TS over QS for meals but they try to help as well. Like you we have a lot of safe foods in our room.

Last month we ate at Sanaa, Spice Road Table, Captains Grille, Skipper Canteen and BOG without issue.

Thanks! What did you eat and what did you like?

correcaminos

Thanks! What did you eat and what did you like?
I'm a poultry lady so when I say I've had chicken items, please know they tasted totally different.

Skippers Canteen I had the "Tastes like chicken because it is" The chicken was prepared sans onion and actually gluten free he said (I don't have issues with it). I had some flavored rice - anise and citrus I think. The sauce he prepared for it was also gluten free but was kind of like spicy soy sauce. Instead of veggies I had fruit instead. The slushy drink (Schweitzer Falls something) was great.

Sanaa I had tandoori chicken. I've had it two ways - with naan (I know won't work) and without. They can do it with greens kind of like a salad really and the sauces that have onion in them are just left off. He flavored it very well and other chefs have as well.

At Spice Road we kind of shared items, and while the one thing I ate most of (brie) he couldn't have, but we had a few things on the table and the Roasted Chicken I tasted was good. The skewers as well.

Captain's Grille was lunch so I had a sandwich which I know he couldn't do either, but the meat inside my sandwich was good. I didn't think I would eat it all but I did. Captain's Grille is going to close though and reopen as a new name so not sure what the menu would be.

Be Our Guest for me isn't an issue because I can have bread and we've only done lunch. I will say the way the turkey I had tasted though was great. Well flavored.

I'm going to list others we've gone to in the last couple of years that I remember well:

Olivia's at OKW did an amazing job with food every time we have gone. The chef was wonderful. Last summer, we ate with a family whose son had so many allergies they more or less asked him what he wanted and they created something for him.

I had not good luck at Beaches and Cream in March. I said onion allergy and they gave me something with green onions in it. I had my husband taste it first.

We had a lunch at The Plaza where accidentally onions were put on my plate. I didn't mention it because they never had them before but when they came the server saw me pass the plate to my husband to remove and wipe down (raw is *the* worst for me). Really I could have dealt with it, but they were sooo apologetic and comp'd part of our meal and dessert. It was a total accident too as it was a newer change so none of us caught it. They were fantastic though an the manager came out to me apologizing. As I said mine is minor so it wasn't a huge deal really but they did so well.

Marrakesh was once a favorite and very very easy to avoid a lot of things, but last time I though it was bland. I prefer Spice Road to Marrakesh now.

We have eaten at the Grand Floridian Café numerous times. The last time we went he asked me what protein I liked and what I would like it to be made with and created a dish just for me. The last time was truly memorable to me and amazingly flavored chicken.

We did Teppan Edo and wow, did they make a kind 'fuss' about it. My rice came separately, my soup was replaced with something else. They even could make my food on a separate grill if need be - for me cooking on the same grill but separate is enough. They really went above and beyond to make sure my food was okay.

That's all I can think of right now from recent trips. I don't want to go too far back. Really though I walk in and the server talks with me about the allergy. They might try to hand you a menu, but it won't list onions so the chef comes out to chat. They ask "what do you like?" and I tell them. I love flavor in my food as long as it isn't spicy (cant' handle it LOL) and they seem to love making something slightly different than the menus.

Qwertypurple

Original Poster
That's all I can think of right now from recent trips. I don't want to go too far back. Really though I walk in and the server talks with me about the allergy. They might try to hand you a menu, but it won't list onions so the chef comes out to chat. They ask "what do you like?" and I tell them. I love flavor in my food as long as it isn't spicy (cant' handle it LOL) and they seem to love making something slightly different than the menus.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed post! This is exactly what I was wondering and will give us a great place to start!

correcaminos

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed post! This is exactly what I was wondering and will give us a great place to start!
Glad to help. Really generally speaking they are great. I am a go with the flow type of person so I love letting them come up with good alternatives. As I said mine is mild so I don't have to stress it as much if cooked touches my food (though I cannot eat it, I am of the type that the more the proteins break down with cooking, the less reactive it is), so I can be relaxed in a way as long as they don't let raw touch my food, but they seem to take it very seriously as a whole and do their best.

John park hopper

We recently ate at the Rain Forest Cafe and even though I was not ordering any seafood (just a hamburger and fries) we told the CM server I have a sever allergy to shellfish. The chef came to the table and they could not have been more helpful. I was told the fries are cooked in oil they cook the shrimp; the chef said they would bake the fries and and apologized it may take alittle longer to get my order. I would say just make CM aware of your dietary issues as I have never had a problem at WDW

Qwertypurple

Original Poster
We recently ate at the Rain Forest Cafe and even though I was not ordering any seafood (just a hamburger and fries) we told the CM server I have a sever allergy to shellfish. The chef came to the table and they could not have been more helpful. I was told the fries are cooked in oil they cook the shrimp; the chef said they would bake the fries and and apologized it may take alittle longer to get my order. I would say just make CM aware of your dietary issues as I have never had a problem at WDW
Oh Wow! I have shellfish allergy and would never have thought to mention it because I just don't order shellfish! I would have never have thought about it! Thank you so much!

John park hopper

To be honest my wife a retired nurse is the one who looks out for me as I never think about it either. 9 times out of ten when we go out to eat she will mention it to the server just so they are aware. She has seen more than one case of a person coming through the ER not making it.

KBLovedDisney

If it helps, anything you order that comes close to what you want, you can also make extra requests to leave off certain ingredients (if possible...I say try though, wouldn't hurt to ask). I've had to do this ever since learning I am very lactose intolerant and Disney accommodates pretty well I should say.

correcaminos

Oh Wow! I have shellfish allergy and would never have thought to mention it because I just don't order shellfish! I would have never have thought about it! Thank you so much!
It's pretty standard in most places that fry foods too. For me they say that the fries may be in the same oil as onion rings, which again won't affect me, but they always ask when I mention it. If your allergy is severe I would mention it to any place you get fries from just to be sure.

John park hopper

It's pretty standard in most places that fry foods too. For me they say that the fries may be in the same oil as onion rings, which again won't affect me, but they always ask when I mention it. If your allergy is severe I would mention it to any place you get fries from just to be sure.

Very true, places that serve fries and I know they don't serve fried shrimp or serve crab or lobster i don't worry about. Regardless its a good idea to let the server know which my wife does. Ate shellfish all my life then out of nowhere you never know---it sucks

dreamfinder

OP, depending on your DH's gluten sensitivity (if they are celiac/gluten intolerant and not just for dietary reasons) this may be an issue as well. I know that my DM can only get fries at certain locations as many share the fryer between french fries and breaded foods. Some locations do have dedicated fryers. And when it doubt, check the binder at CS and talk to the chef at TS for any allergy.

correcaminos

Very true, places that serve fries and I know they don't serve fried shrimp or serve crab or lobster i don't worry about. Regardless its a good idea to let the server know which my wife does. Ate shellfish all my life then out of nowhere you never know---it sucks
That stinks. My allium really came on gradually with discomfort and such happening. Then one day when I took a bit of raw by accident, within an hour, I was in so much pain and had a pounding sinus headache. It takes about a day for it to go away. I am just grateful that one of the good things about allium is that the more it is cooked, the more the protein that causes the issue breaks down. That allows me to have fries cooked in the same fryer as onion rings, or have a broth that had onion in it but it was removed and simmered down. It's annoying, but at least more easily avoidable and pretty much never fatal. I feel for those like you who have more to worry about than I do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom