How young is too young?

PMC0849

Original Poster
After 7 trips to Disney World, 2 to Disneyland, and 1 day in Disneyland Paris as adults without children, my wife an I our expecting our first child. We have gone back and forth on how old this kid should be before we take another Disney trip. One thought is when they are out of diapers, and then we start thinking of having a very Dapper baby for Dapper Day in 2018 is very tempting. What are current parents thoughts on this?

correcaminos

Congratulations! To answer: whenever you feel ready. You sound like the type to go often enough so age shouldn't matter really. We did WDW with my son when he was 5 months old. It was fine. The toddler years have been great and even the potty training time wasn't bad. It was probably easiest when not having to bring baby food and such, but really diapers can last around 3 years so I wouldn't wait just for that.

FettFan

To quote my own father: "I never liked Disney until you and your sister were teenagers. When you were really little, we would spend all that money to take you, spend even more money to feed you, then you'd get hot and bored and wouldn't want to stand in any more lines, so we'd have to cut out early and go back to the hotel. It felt like a waste of money. Once you grew up, it made everything easier."

SteamboatJoe

I don't have any kids but my brother and sister-in-law took my niece when she was 3 and then again a year later. In retrospect, he said he thought 3 was too young. She and they apparently managed much better when she was 4. I'm sure some of it depends on the kid.

rob0519

I would say 4 or 5 depending on both you and the child. In my opinion, if you take children before this age, you're taking them for yourselves or older siblings. We took ours at two and a half and while he was amused when he was there, he obviously doesn't remember anything.

LAM378

I think it just depends on what you can handle as parents. Diapering and feeding and transportation and naps are an extra hassle with babies and very young children, but if you're up for it, just go.

My family brought my niece when she was 1 1/2. No lie, it was rough, but that was partly because we had three little kids total. At the time, her brother was 3 1/2 and totally ready for his first trip, and my son was 5. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but I can't deny that the annual trips have gotten substantially easier as they've all gotten older.

Patcheslee

As much as it seems you go now: after the major immunizations are done, and when mama has had a bit of rest/healing. It's definitely a different experience to go to any theme park with a little one than just adults.

Fox&Hound

First off, congratulations!!!! That is wonderful news!

I think this question depends on how often do you visit Disney World. If this was a once-in-a-lifetime trip then I would definitely argue that your child should be at least four before you consider going. Since that is not the case and you go pretty often, then I agree that it is never too early to let your little one enjoy their first trip. As a child, they may not remember much of the trip if they are so young, but as a parent you will never forget the look on their face or the enjoyment you have taking your sweet baby to your favorite place. We took our daughter at 16 months and again at three and are going this December when she will be four. We had a blast each time. Just realize that you will move at a slower pace, plan a rest mid-day (whether back at the hotel or in a shady spot in the stroller) and it will be great!!!!! Have fun!

MickeyMomV

We went to Orlando for a wedding when my DS's was 2. We rented a condo offsite with a private pool. I want to say we spent 2 days in the parks and it worked out really nice. As a couple of others have said having him there was for our enjoyment as he does not remember anything about the trip but we have the memories and pictures that will last a lifetime. So I would say take the little one, enjoy the time, get plenty of pictures, and don't be focused on getting every minute of park time. Just enjoy yourselves.

correcaminos

I would say 4 or 5 depending on both you and the child. In my opinion, if you take children before this age, you're taking them for yourselves or older siblings. We took ours at two and a half and while he was amused when he was there, he obviously doesn't remember anything.
What's wrong with taking them for yourself? Are we not supposed to have good memories with our children? I loved the pictures we had of our first trip (5 month old) together. They also remember more than you realize. What was seen at 1.5 was remembered for a year or so later and then trips after that, it just solidified the good feelings.

I remember my 2nd birthday, so kids remember more than you think.

I think if you are only going to go once or twice you wait, but if you are more of a regular goer, who cares what age you take them. I didn't stop going places just because I had a kid, and I am so grateful for the great memories we did have even as an infant. We did intentionally stay at the Epcot or MK areas to make naptime easier but the rest was fine.

Kevin_W

What's wrong with taking them for yourself? Are we not supposed to have good memories with our children? I loved the pictures we had of our first trip (5 month old) together. They also remember more than you realize. What was seen at 1.5 was remembered for a year or so later and then trips after that, it just solidified the good feelings.

I agree. We took my daughter when she was ~2.5 with the intent that it was a trip for our enjoyment. It turns out we were wrong and seeing her wonder and awe was the best part of the trip, and what turned us into crazy Disney fanatics.

Kids do remember more than you think, and even if not those experiences are part of what shapes them.

Gussie Granger

We went several times before we had children. Then went as follows:
DS 18 months old (I was about 4 months pregnant with our DD)
DS 5 DD3
DS 7 DD5
DS 10 DD8
DS12 DD10

Each time we went, our trip was a little different as we accommodated them due to their ages. Each time we went, we had an amazing time no matter what age they were.

graphite1326

We started going when my youngest was 6 and could ride most of the height required rides. My kids never liked the kiddy rides and preferred the adult rides. Now they are in their twenties. I asked my youngest if he remembered going when he was young. He said he doesn't remember any of it. Like another poster said it was better when they became teenagers. They could tag along with us (we ride everything) or go off on their own. Most of the time they tagged along with us because they said we know how to have fun.

Doug Means

my son's first trip was when he was 4 and we had no problems at all. My daughters first trip was when she was 1. no big deal to us we just adjusted our thinking on how we did things at the park. we were much more relaxed and it allowed us to just view the park a little more than worrying about riding everything or something like that. we didn't have anyone with us to help with baby exchanges for rides, and we concentrated on the smaller kid like stuff she could enjoy. for sure one thing i believe it did though, was help them learn about the Disney experience. They both grew up knowing what to expect while at the parks and learned the general lay out of the parks (from 2000 to 2005 we had FL resident year passes). in 2015 we took our 2 year old grandson and extended family for a trip. there were enough of us to do ride exchanges easily. And some of us even enjoyed just slowing down with the grand kid while the younger ones went of in a furry of fun. so, in closing, i would say its just as much about your mind set and what you want to get done with your kids, as it is about age.

Launchpad McQuack

I agree that it really depends on how often you go. If you are only planning on taking them once or twice (like a normal person), then I think it's good to wait until they are older and can both ride and remember most things. If you go pretty often (like many of here, which seems to be the case), I say go whenever you think the kid can handle it. My daughter will be 2 in July, and she has already been twice (once in November and again in April). She had a great time, and we had a great time with her. Luckily for us, she is really good with meeting characters and gets super excited instead of scared like a lot of kids do. Granted, your trip/touring plans will change A LOT with a small child, but it's still worth it, IMO. We've been back just about 3 weeks now, and her favorite thing to do now is watch the videos from the two trips and cheer when she sees her favorite characters.

PrincessNelly_NJ

We took my friend's 3 year old son and prior had no experience doing disney with children. It was perfect! seeing his excitement over everything made all of us enjoy it more.

He was potty trained and I felt like that made it much easier and didn't require a diaper bag. But I think you'll know when they are ready once the time comes.

Goofyernmost

A very personal decision! It depends on what you are looking for. I have read of many that where all excited because their 9 month old was fascinated by this or that (varies) and how they are happy they didn't miss that reaction. I am, and have been from an early age, much more of a curmudgeon. I would argue that with all the lights and movement in a place like WDW there is somewhat of an overload of stimuli, however, you can, and do, get the same reaction from a 9 month old by waving a flashlight in front of them. So if you go because of the joy it gives your infant, that's OK, but, the reality is that you just enjoy seeing the reaction to stimuli, so you do it for you, not for the child.

My philosophy is that when they are old enough to walk with grown ups, ask questions, make statements and, to me, more importantly remember parts of what they saw... then it is worth it. For me the magic number was 6 years old. I used that number for my own children and then, years later, with my grandchildren. The number was 6. Once everyone had reached that minimum age we made a real party of it.

I realize that some families consist of more years between children. You cannot hold back on a 12 year old because of a 4 year old sibling. But, as a target point I think that 6 is the golden number.

I also realize that a huge portion of my philosophy is self-centered. Small children are a lot of work. The require a completely different approach to the theme park experience. I didn't go to those places for my kids entirely, I went to them for our family and my personal experience. Small children require a lot of attention by necessity, they don't allow many opportunities for spouses participating together as one has to stay behind while the other goes to an attraction and then trade off. That automatically cuts the ability to experience different things in half. So you honestly determine what experience you are looking for in regards to your personal enjoyment and decide from there. There is no set in concrete way for anyone to follow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom