How will WDW fit into the Marvel Theme Park Universe?

Cesar R M

I think you couldn't be more off base in the your assessment. Superhero movies have been massively popular for generations. Superman starring Christoper Reeve came out in 1978.

There's a ton of super hero movies every year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_superhero_films

Worldwide totals for MCU movies as of April 2017: http://collider.com/marvel-movies-box-office/#worldwide-totals-ranked

1.) The Avengers: $1,518,812,988
2.) Avengers: Age of Ultron: $1,405,403,694
3.) Iron Man 3: $1,214,811,252
4.) Captain America: Civil War: $1,153,304,495
5.) Guardians of the Galaxy: $773,328,629
6.) Captain America: The Winter Soldier: $714,264,267
7.) Doctor Strange: $677,718,395
8.) Thor: The Dark World: $644,571,402
9.) Iron Man 2: $623,933,331
10.) Iron Man: $585,174,222
11.) Ant-Man: $519,311,965
12.) Thor: $449,326,618
13.) Captain America: The First Avenger: $370,569,774
14.) The Incredible Hulk: $263,427,551

Guardians 2 has now passed up $800 mil worldwide: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/g...-worldwide-box-office-800-million-1202448679/

Add in the fact Marvel has live action t.v. deals with ABC and Netflix for various shows and now will be coming to Hulu and Freeform. Plus all the cartoons on Disney XD. They also make a ton of money off toys, video games, dvd/bluray's, and merchandise. I doubt they'd want to build a bunch of rides for a IP they'd just give up over one bad movie. I'd say Marvel has easily warranted the price tag, and probably why they had to spend so much to get them despite the company doing poorly.
Speaking of shows, what the hell happened with Iron Fist? I seen a few of the other series and they were AOK. But everyone giving Iron Fist horrible scores.
What went wrong?

Princess Leia

Speaking of shows, what the hell happened with Iron Fist? I seen a few of the other series and they were AOK. But everyone giving Iron Fist horrible scores.
What went wrong?
  • Mediocre acting (only 2 of the leads were good, and then Rosario brought her A game and acted circles around Danny (blanking on his real name)
  • About 20 half baked plots stretched over 13 episodes, when the story probably could have been condensed to 7 (not just an IF problem of the Netflix Marvel shows, but it was the worse perpetrator of it)
  • Barely practiced fight scenes
  • Some not so great character development
The cultural appropriation thing was at least kind of addressed by a character, and in my mind, was the least of the show's problems

RSoxNo1

That is not entirely correct. If a character is part of a family that Uni is using then it is also off limits. Universal isn't using Iron Man, but he is an Avenger so it he can't be used in WDW. There is a pretty strong case to be made that Ant-Man is also part of the Avengers family.
Iron Man is featured on a mural in Superhero Island.

RSoxNo1

That's probably not enough to qualify as "usage", it has to be more then "incidental element".
I'm not so sure. Universal wouldn't let Disney use the Avengers monorail on the Epcot loop, I would think that any character represented in any form in IoA is off limits, as are any family/villain relationships. That means they need to remove all Rhinos from the Animal Kingdom because of the Spider-Man tie.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm not so sure. Universal wouldn't let Disney use the Avengers monorail on the Epcot loop, I would think that any character represented in any form in IoA is off limits, as are any family/villain relationships. That means they need to remove all Rhinos from the Animal Kingdom because of the Spider-Man tie.

The incidental use clause is right from the contract. It only applies to determining exclusivity, not for what other parks can do with the exclusive characters.

2351metalcloud

Would Disney be able to use 'baby Groot' from GOTG2, even if they weren't able to use 'adult Groot' from GOTG1 in Orlando? 'Baby Groot' has appeared in Orlando, but has 'adult Groot'? A character called 'Groot' with a generally similar appearance to GOTG1's Groot appeared as a villain in a Thor comic and a Spider-Man comic before appearing as part of the GOTG.

They might have just had the 'baby Groot' animatronic in Orlando recently while having an 'adult Groot' in California recently just to have something differently in the two parks, but I wonder if such a difference could matter.

nor'easter

I would chalk up Iron Man phoning it in because of the logistical nightmare of making an in-person Iron Man fly.

And the Park Universe has already broken it's self-consistency: big and adult Groot is M&Ging right outside the attraction with a small and baby Groot.

As to whom WDW can use or not with regard to Avenger members is a touchy subject. Just about every Marvel hero (and a lot of their villains) were a part of the Avengers at some time. If one-time membership would prevent Disney usage, then Doctor Strange should not have been doing a streetmosphere in DHS. The contract seems to have a use or lose clause. And a family clause. Does using just a handful of characters from one family (the Avengers) exclude the use of nearly a hundred other characters of that family that Universal has never touched?

Disney and Uni need to come to an understanding. And if they can't, then a Arbitrator will decide according to the contract.

And if I were the Arbitrator, I'd tell them their contract is so poorly written that they have a choice: both lose all rights to all characters or both share all rights to all characters. Then, when the shock wears off, tell Uni they can have exclusive rights to what they're using and no more but Disney gets rights to everything else, but, if it's "in the family," Disney has to buy it back at a fair price. This would allow Disney to use Strange and Black Panther and Ant-man... but at a price.
You don't understand arbitration. That could not happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom