How will WDW fit into the Marvel Theme Park Universe?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Why should UNI do backflips promoting a Disney IP, Disney sooner than later will get 'tired' of MARVEL (after the first MARVEL flop) then UNI will become interested in MARVEL once again.

I'm not seeing why the first flop would mean DIS will "get tired" of Marvel, since they have Marvel movies on the calendar for the next 3-4 years. Odds are one will likely be considered "a flop", but I don't think one flop is going to derail the Marvel movie machine right now.

UpAllNight

Why should UNI do backflips promoting a Disney IP, Disney sooner than later will get 'tired' of MARVEL (after the first MARVEL flop) then UNI will become interested in MARVEL once again.

Disney aren't ever getting tired of Marvel...they will continue to churn the films out. If one doesn't work, they'll have another 6 already in the pipeline. Marvel is a hot property which would drive attendance, that's obviously what's in it for them. But it would probably make more sense on their side to focus on J Park, which also needs a lot of work.

Kamikaze

Even after a 'flop', Comcast would still be promoting a Disney property. Don't see how that would change from a movie performing badly. If anything, it would be the other direction - bad performance leading to them nixing plans to do more with Marvel rather than expand. Think about it logically: If either side had both, and they put out a movie or two in a row that did not meet expectations, would they turn around and expand theme park presence? Of course not. So why would it be different since they are split between the two resorts?

Captain Neo

As long as Figment, X-S Tech, and Howard the Duck are canon (which they all are thanks to Mission Breakout) they can do whatever they like.

Haymarket2008

Well we aren't seeing Figment and Harold move around so The Collector could simply just collect old animatronics. The characters themselves aren't "canon"

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm not seeing why the first flop would mean DIS will "get tired" of Marvel, since they have Marvel movies on the calendar for the next 3-4 years. Odds are one will likely be considered "a flop", but I don't think one flop is going to derail the Marvel movie machine right now.

Your premise is that success is automatic with Disney' produced MARVEL superhero flicks but everything is cyclical and a time will come when the general public no longer cares about any superhero flick.

When Disney bought MARVEL no one, i repeat no one wanted them, I'm still wondering why Iger spent 4 billion for them as there was no one else bidding a used Pinto and a $100 gas card would have been enough to buy MARVEL. Not that Disney has not done well with MARVEL it's simply Disney could have paid a LOT less and still had MARVEL as part of the Disney companies.

People will get tired of superhero flicks and simply not care what character Disney tees up. May not take a single flop but 2-3 and Disney will drop MARVEL like a hot rock.

When was the last big budget Western???, They will come back and fade out again just like all movie genre's, The only 'evergreen' movie genre is the 'Chick Flick' which have been made since the time of Thomas Edison till now with no drop in popularity

rioriz

What it means is a Dr. Strange addition to Innoventions or something like it, a large scale guardians attraction...and a reskin for Ant Man....

All seriousness Guardians will probably be the first big Marvel addition until Black Panther becomes a hit....after the performance of the sequel i don't care what anyone thinks...Disney needs to Capitalize...in Florida...and it can!

doctornick

What it means is a Dr. Strange addition to Innoventions or something like it, a large scale guardians attraction...and a reskin for Ant Man....

All seriousness Guardians will probably be the first big Marvel addition until Black Panther becomes a hit....after the performance of the sequel i don't care what anyone thinks...Disney needs to Capitalize...in Florida...and it can!
Black Panther, like Ant-Man (and the Wasp), isn't going to be allowed. They are definitely in the Avengers family along with characters in use at Uni and would be prohibited. Ms. Marvel (er, Captain Marvel) as well.

Among future properties being developed, I think The Inhumans would be a possibility of being allowed at WDW. And I still think SHIELD could be allowed. Lesser stuff like Cloak & Dagger or New Warriors/Squirrel Girl or Runaways could be options but I don't think they are going to be popular enough to warrant anything. The characters on Netflix could all theoretically be options for WDW, but the shows are too dark to use them I'd think; maybe they could use Daredevil in a more family friendly version (he wasn't so gritty until Frank Miller starting writing the character).

Cmdr_Crimson

I've seen rides with Marvel try their best to be really good...Of course Amazing Adventures of Spiderman at IOA Is a great ride........Then there was Spider-Man..The Ultimate Ride....Yes this was a thing at one point out at a park in Niagra Falls at the former indoor theme Park called Marvel Adventure City...Just see how a low budget ride is done.....o_O

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've seen rides with Marvel try their best to be really good...Of course Amazing Adventures of Spiderman at IOA Is a great ride........Then there was Spider-Man..The Ultimate Ride....Yes this was a thing at one point out at a park in Niagra Falls at the former indoor theme Park called Marvel Adventure City...Just see how a low budget ride is done.....o_O

The worst part is the voice work. Sounds like some 40 year old guy trying to sound like a teenager and then doing various growls for the villains.

Lucky Rabbit

Your premise is that success is automatic with Disney' produced MARVEL superhero flicks but everything is cyclical and a time will come when the general public no longer cares about any superhero flick.

When Disney bought MARVEL no one, i repeat no one wanted them, I'm still wondering why Iger spent 4 billion for them as there was no one else bidding a used Pinto and a $100 gas card would have been enough to buy MARVEL. Not that Disney has not done well with MARVEL it's simply Disney could have paid a LOT less and still had MARVEL as part of the Disney companies.

People will get tired of superhero flicks and simply not care what character Disney tees up. May not take a single flop but 2-3 and Disney will drop MARVEL like a hot rock.

When was the last big budget Western???, They will come back and fade out again just like all movie genre's, The only 'evergreen' movie genre is the 'Chick Flick' which have been made since the time of Thomas Edison till now with no drop in popularity
I think you couldn't be more off base in the your assessment. Superhero movies have been massively popular for generations. Superman starring Christoper Reeve came out in 1978.

There's a ton of super hero movies every year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_superhero_films

Worldwide totals for MCU movies as of April 2017: http://collider.com/marvel-movies-box-office/#worldwide-totals-ranked

1.) The Avengers: $1,518,812,988
2.) Avengers: Age of Ultron: $1,405,403,694
3.) Iron Man 3: $1,214,811,252
4.) Captain America: Civil War: $1,153,304,495
5.) Guardians of the Galaxy: $773,328,629
6.) Captain America: The Winter Soldier: $714,264,267
7.) Doctor Strange: $677,718,395
8.) Thor: The Dark World: $644,571,402
9.) Iron Man 2: $623,933,331
10.) Iron Man: $585,174,222
11.) Ant-Man: $519,311,965
12.) Thor: $449,326,618
13.) Captain America: The First Avenger: $370,569,774
14.) The Incredible Hulk: $263,427,551

Guardians 2 has now passed up $800 mil worldwide: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/g...-worldwide-box-office-800-million-1202448679/

Add in the fact Marvel has live action t.v. deals with ABC and Netflix for various shows and now will be coming to Hulu and Freeform. Plus all the cartoons on Disney XD. They also make a ton of money off toys, video games, dvd/bluray's, and merchandise. I doubt they'd want to build a bunch of rides for a IP they'd just give up over one bad movie. I'd say Marvel has easily warranted the price tag, and probably why they had to spend so much to get them despite the company doing poorly.

Bob Harlem

The Macro-economical view suggests Disney bought Marvel (and Star Wars for that matter) to solidify the perceived weak spots with boys, since they had the princess demographic pretty well. Pirates and western themes were there, but they lacked anything comparable to the princess craze. It was easier to buy it than develop it themselves. (although you could argue the princess/fairytale stuff was also "acquired" from the public domain)

As for the high price, it suggest there may have been some sort of bidding war behind the scenes.

Last edited:

seascape

Comic based movies go back much further than Superman in the 70s. I remember a very old Batman serial show before the feature movie in the early 60s. It must have been made in the 50s. You are just too young.

Lucky Rabbit

Comic based movies go back much further than Superman in the 70s. I remember a very old Batman serial show before the feature movie in the early 60s. It must have been made in the 50s. You are just too young.
The Adam West Batman show aired from 1966 to 1968 (if that's what you were referencing). I understand superhero movies/shows existed before then, but I'd say Superman was the first modern superhero movie. Since the talk was over the current MCU being a flash in the pan, I was just giving an example of a highly successful superhero movie released nearly 40 years ago.

My overall point was that even if the superhero movie crazy dies down for a bit Disney will continue to own Marvel for a long time. It's hard to imagine a scenario where selling it off would benefit Disney.

seascape

The Adam West Batman show aired from 1966 to 1968 (if that's what you were referencing). I understand superhero movies/shows existed before then, but I'd say Superman was the first modern superhero movie. Since the talk was over the current MCU being a flash in the pan, I was just giving an example of a highly successful superhero movie released nearly 40 years ago.

My overall point was that even if the superhero movie crazy dies down for a bit Disney will continue to own Marvel for a long time. It's hard to imagine a scenario where selling it off would benefit Disney.
No, there was an old movie serial. It was actually 1943.

Cmdr_Crimson

I still remember another comic when they were "Trying" So hard to make D-ick Tracy a Big thing over at the studios with 2 different scenario stops on the Tram Tour (Which you can see in Martin's Tram tour retrospective), The Stage show Diamond Double Cross, and the planned but never happend Crimestoppers ride..If Eisner was still around He would have dug tooth & nail to get the Marvel characters out of Universal to do something with them in WDW...
latest

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Is this a lifetime contract? My goodness. I thought they had to be renewed or something. SO this is Lebron and Nike now right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom