How will WDW fit into the Marvel Theme Park Universe?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
This is a real thing, and internally that is what it is called. Just like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Marvel Theme Park Universe will tie all of Disney's Marvel (or "Super Hero" as they're called in the domestic parks) attractions/shows together. James Gunn, writer/director of the GOTG films, even used the term on Twitter when defending the new DCA ride.

The first glimpses of this interconnectivity are seen at DCA, where Iron Man puts in a video call to the Avengers Training Initiative show from the Stark Expo at Hong Kong Disneyland. He can't join us here today you see, he's busy at Hong Kong Disneyland.

There's an Avengers logo emblazoned manhole cap next the Guardians tower, hinting at the next attraction for the coming Marvel land at DCA.

What's interesting to me is that the way this is being handled so far, cloning won't work. At this point they're taking pains to point out that some characters "live" in certain parks.

Since WDW's Marvel usage is limited to GOTG and Strange (so far), I'm curious to see how this Marvel Theme Park Universe progresses, and how long they can keep this schtick up.

2351metalcloud

This seems like it might be kind of complicated if it is correct. I would hope attractions wouldn't be limited to ideas like technology exhibitions, cultural exhibitions (like people of Wakanda or Sakovia or outerspace aliens setting up exhibitions), villains coming to the theme park which necessitates superheros coming to the park to stop them doing something or help fix something the villain did (which seems kind of iffy to me as I could see it seeming kind of like terrorists coming to theme parks), and museum style exhibits. The people who work on this stuff are probably better at thinking up stuff for this than I am and have thought about it more however.

They have some weird thing called 'life model decoys' in the comics and apparently the Marvel movies. It seems there is only one throwaway line in The Avengers for the movies about it, but more appearances of such things on a tv show. I think that could come into play to explain how someone like Tony Stark could seem to appear in more than one park at the same time. Tony Stark/Iron Man also has made lots of drone suits in the past. Those could appear in multiple parks at the same time with an easy explanation as to how. It could be easily explained why SHIELD might appear in multiple parks at the same time and set up similar buildings.

I don't think it's really a big deal if characters appear in more than one park at the same time under this conceptual framework as long as in a given park there is no reference to them appearing in another park at the same time. But that's just my take on it. Having all the attractions be like you said seems like a weird idea to me, but that isn't in regards to whether I think attractions will likely be like that. I just mean a weird idea in general.

Last edited:

BrianLo

What's interesting to me is that the way this is being handled so far, cloning won't work. At this point they're taking pains to point out that some characters "live" in certain parks.

While this clearly was designed only for the privileged few (yay to no cloning), I can't imagine it strictly adheres to every timepoint that the characters occupy if separated by a geographic boundary.

I.e. if GoTG were to appear in Epcot (or DHS), in a different ride with a different story, they would likely make subtle reference to a previous adventure in one or the other. I don't imagine the entire Marvel Theme Park Universe occurs in one day.

Much in the same way Mickey can exist at multiple parks and in multiple places that don't overlap. Guardians is pretty much the golden ticket Avengers substitute for WDW, otherwise it is pretty pointless for them to even both jumping in. Dr. Strange by himself won't move enough merch.

It definitely means the guardians won't escape from Tivan in WDW again... so add that to the mountain of evidence tower of terror is safe.

roj2323

Currently the contract with Universal prevents Disney from using certain characters in the Florida parks. That said, Disney has been known to throw money at a problem to make it go away so anything is possible. It's my firm belief that we will see a Marvel attraction at least announced in the next 2 years (although it's not much of a stretch according to our insiders) "GOTG most likely" and in the next 5 years we will see other marvel themed attractions announced that are based on currently contractually prohibited characters. The most likely being Iron Man as it would be an easy plug in as a Star Tours replacement as they already did that elsewhere.

WDW1974

Wonder if this has anything to do with the rethinking of Marvel usage at WDW and upcoming plans for Energy's removal for another 2-3 minute thrill ride. At least Marvel (unlike Star Wars) is popular in China, so they build (and will) to feed the market. I'm still trying to figure out what Marvel 'attraction' will replace Cinemagique and how that may give a hint about that whole corner of the park (resigning RnRC to Spidey was one of the first WDI-Marvel projects to get love).

csmat99

Currently the contract with Universal prevents Disney from using certain characters in the Florida parks. That said, Disney has been known to throw money at a problem to make it go away so anything is possible. It's my firm belief that we will see a Marvel attraction at least announced in the next 2 years (although it's not much of a stretch according to our insiders) "GOTG most likely" and in the next 5 years we will see other marvel themed attractions announced that are based on currently contractually prohibited characters. The most likely being Iron Man as it would be an easy plug in as a Star Tours replacement as they already did that elsewhere.
There is no chance Disney can get the rights away from Comcast. So no we won't be seeing Iron Man in Florida. Comcast isn't Sony who couldn't get Spiderman movies right and had to get Marvel to bail them out and even then Sony didn't give up rights just creative control and piece of profits. With Marvel theme park rights it's both business and personal with Comcast. They want to take their shots at Disney and serves no purpose to give up rights to Disney to use at their parks. Comcast as I believe Spirit as confirmed will be building new Marvel ride(s) in the future at IOA.

jt04

There is no chance Disney can get the rights away from Comcast. So no we won't be seeing Iron Man in Florida. Comcast isn't Sony who couldn't get Spiderman movies right and had to get Marvel to bail them out and even then Sony didn't give up rights just creative control and piece of profits. With Marvel theme park rights it's both business and personal with Comcast. They want to take their shots at Disney and serves no purpose to give up rights to Disney to use at their parks. Comcast as I believe Spirit as confirmed will be building new Marvel ride(s) in the future at IOA.

I think they need the mouse's permission to do that. #leverage

No Name

It seems silly to me. The whole time-place logic has never applied to Disney parks and resorts for a reason. There are too many of them!

In the parks, things are simply supposed to make sense from the perspective of what you're looking at. For example, you can meet Mickey in each park, because he happened to come to the same place as you at that time, that day. It shouldn't bother you to know that he's also performing and meeting people in many other parks, resorts, cruise ships, etc.

Now, it might bother you if you saw two Mickeys at the same time, because that doesn't make sense from the perspective of what you're looking at.

And now I will point out a fault in the logic. Well, the ride runs all day long. So do the Guardians keep being recaptured and rebroken-out, in an endless cycle?

It doesn't work. Not now, not ever. I like the idea of not cloning rides, that part can stay, but the rest will inevitably go.

Cmdr_Crimson

Hang on, I must have missed something. They're turning RnRC to a Spider-Man ride in Paris?

Well, it's not like he has a Spinning coaster out in Dubai..
The-short-but-intense-Spiderman-ride-at-IMG-Worlds-of-Adventure-870108.jpg

CaptainAmerica

This is a real thing, and internally that is what it is called. Just like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Marvel Theme Park Universe will tie all of Disney's Marvel (or "Super Hero" as they're called in the domestic parks) attractions/shows together. James Gunn, writer/director of the GOTG films, even used the term on Twitter when defending the new DCA ride.

The first glimpses of this interconnectivity are seen at DCA, where Iron Man puts in a video call to the Avengers Training Initiative show from the Stark Expo at Hong Kong Disneyland. He can't join us here today you see, he's busy at Hong Kong Disneyland.

There's an Avengers logo emblazoned manhole cap next the Guardians tower, hinting at the next attraction for the coming Marvel land at DCA.

Since WDW's Marvel usage is limited to GOTG and Strange (so far), I'm curious to see how this Marvel Theme Park Universe progresses, and how long they can keep this schtick up.
I might be wrong, but I think you're reading too much into off-the-cuff Tweets. I think the term "Marvel Theme Park Universe" is simply a way to distinguish it from the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" rather than confirmation that they're setting up an elaborate interconnected canon.

jpinkc

Just curious RE Marvel. How does this work for X-men since Fox has there movie rights. I know there is Wolverine and Cyclops used at Universal (as decoration) but what about the rest? Are any of them grey areas too?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I might be wrong, but I think you're reading too much into off-the-cuff Tweets. I think the term "Marvel Theme Park Universe" is simply a way to distinguish it from the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" rather than confirmation that they're setting up an elaborate interconnected canon.

While I understand what you're saying, I am not going off of Gunn's tweet. I have firsthand sources working on the Marvel-WDI projects and this is what they are calling it both internally and to the public. One of the Marvel guys talked about it at the GOTG press event and when I find the quote I'll post it

CaptainAmerica

While I understand what you're saying, I am not going off of Gunn's tweet. I have firsthand sources working on the Marvel-WDI projects and this is what they are calling it both internally and to the public. One of the Marvel guys talked about it at the GOTG press event and when I find the quote I'll post it
I believe you, but, as @egg said, it's really a nonsensical concept when it comes to a theme park.

FerretAfros

In a lot of ways, it sounds similar to the Society of Explorers and Adventurers (SEA) concept that has been woven through many attractions over the last decade-and-a-half, beginning with Tokyo DisneySEA, and since expanded around the globe. What made that concept work was:
  • The attractions were all great, independent of each other
  • The attractions represented a wide variety of ride types, thrill levels, durations, etc
  • Each attraction is true to its themed area within the park and added value to the surrounding area
  • The connections are vague enough that guests get to interpret who exactly is a member of SEA, and which attractions are directly linked to them
  • The connecting backstory is so subtle that most guests likely know nothing about it
It's really those last few points that makes me worry about an interrelated universe of Marvel attractions. Part of what's great about the SEA backstory at TDS is finding little details that make you wonder if familiar characters and historical figures like Captain Nemo, Indiana Jones, and Leonardo da Vinci might be part of this mythical universe, and how they might interact with new park characters like Harrison Hightower and Henry Mystic. With Marvel's already-established backstories, it will be difficult to avoid making the links between theme park areas feel too deliberate, and the characters' relationships are already known

Additionally, the backstories of both Marvel attractions to date are set in theme parks, rather than a fictional land. GOTG-M:B! isn't part of Hollywoodland, it was plopped down into California Adventure; Iron Man Experience doesn't add to the depth of Tomorrowland, it merely serves as a launchpad for us to fly over the park and explore the city next door. This self-aware setting fundamentally detracts from the themed areas of the park that they're located in, and makes the whole experience feel trite

[Edit: I think there's something about SEA's mysteriousness that adds to the allure. It's an Illuminati-like secret society, which easily lends itself to making small-but-intriguing appearances in unexpected places. This, in turn, adds a lot of depth to the themed areas, and really unifies TDS on a subconscious level. I struggle to see how the Marvel attractions would have a similar unifying thread]

With the way that SEA has been expanded in the last few years (MK's Big Thunder, Miss Adventure Falls, even the interactive game at TDS's Fortress Explorations), the connections have become increasingly less subtle, which I think detracts from the experience of discovering it on your own. Sure, a lot of the backstories went completely over the average guest's head, but I would rather have that than have an experience so straightforward that it can be fully comprehended in a single visit. Disney was once known for its attention to detail, but by drawing attention to these details, it has degraded the essence of discovery that made the experience worthwhile

Although SEA has shown that the concept of interconnected theme park attractions can work within a park and around the world, it also shows that it's a delicate balance. Given the recent trends of the SEA connections and how they've begun with Marvel, I'm skeptical of how this will turn out

Last edited:

asianway

Just curious RE Marvel. How does this work for X-men since Fox has there movie rights. I know there is Wolverine and Cyclops used at Universal (as decoration) but what about the rest? Are any of them grey areas too?
They wont build Xmen or FF rides simply because they are trying to "smoke out" the movie rights from Fox. See the comics being cancelled to suppress their popularity.

Kman101

I don't think we'll see much of Marvel (what they are able to use) in WDW. Sounds like Guardians isn't going to be a significant addition (if at all?). That leaves Dr. Strange and Big Hero Six. I guess Ant-Man as well. I don't see anything but BH6 getting something if Guardian's isn't as on the table as it once was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom