How to structure 2 week holiday around Wine and Dine 1/2

emilia81

Original Poster
Hi

I am planning a two week holiday to Disney and will be planning it around the half marathon. I'm coming from Australia where there is a 15hr time difference.

I've never done a Disney event before and would love some advice regarding how best to time the trip. Specifically, should I plan my travel dates so the race is within a day or two of arriving (risking jetlag but training will be fresh and I won't risk over eating) or would you recommend doing the race at the back end of a holiday (I'll be acclimatised but probably fatter and may have fatigued muscles from non stop theme parks).

Any suggestions??

Thanks

dreamfinder

I've done both sorts of trips. It all depends on you and your body. If a half marathon is going to be a big deal for you, then you would most likely want to shoot for the run towards the beginning of your trip. Then you will be fairly fresh off your taper, and you won't have completely messed with your training from a week+ of parks. If you run halfs frequently, and realistically think you can maintain your training/taper for the first chunk of your trip, then you may benefit from the extra time to adjust your body clock. However, that method isn't for most people. I think you should give yourself a day or two for the jetlag, and then plan on the run, and then parks after. I do suggest running some of your training runs at random hours in advance to help your prep.

JillC LI

Having done that flight from Australia to New York (about the same as to Florida), I would say to definitely give yourself a few days to recover from jetlag before the race. If you are used to the distance and just running it for fun, then run it a few days into your trip, and you shouldn't be too sore or tired to enjoy the rest of your trip.

JasonDeyoung

I always make the runDisney event at the beginning of my stay. I'll usually drive over a day or two before to get all the registration done and time to relax before the race then you have the rest of your vacation for Disney fun

MickeyMomV

Keep in mind the race is at 10 pm so the time change may work in your favor.

Also keep in mind the longer you are there the more your diet gets off track, your training is out of whack, and your overall energy starts to suffer. We are in the same time zone and arrive a day or two before to get our packet and run!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom