How-to Pirates Dark Ride

JN3VA

Original Poster
A question was asked in a different thread.
>> Looking at Epcot-Rules picture above, this fits in the top 5 difficult photos to take. Indoors, no flash, your moving and subject is moving. Not bashing the photo at all, but I also get plenty of over saturated yellowing too. If you have some tips on camera settings or technique to get the success rate up to 20% eliminating before mentioned, please share

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wdw-photo-of-the-day-thread-part-9.733177/page-313

Instead of starting a discussion there I am answering it here :)

I have nearly the same shot.

DSC_2581 by jn3pics, on Flickr

You need a fast lense with a wide apature to deal with motion and low light. You'll need to bump the ISO up as high as your camera will tolerate for a decent shot (12800). I think the shutter speed I use on Pirates is usually about 1/25 or 1/50. Shoot in RAW so you can later do some work in post to make it look less tinted. For the dark rides I used a Nikon Prim 50mm f/1.8. The shots generally come out very red or very yellow becasue of the type of lighting (as well as the actual color of the lights) they have on the ride. You can adjust this in post processing by changing the white balance to make it look more natural.

I have two photos in a set that show the before and after post processing effect. I think on this one I mostly just changed the white balance. Maybe the brightness too but WB is the fist change.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jn3/sets/72157631937915806/

ddbowdoin

Only downside with 12800 ISO is the images are meant for Internet (low DPI) only. Printing 12800 image from anything short of a pro body will be a pretty bad print

wiigirl

Love those pics! :)
75.gif

RonAnnArbor

Here's another suggestion -- and it involves less settings and more craft: Ride Pirates and pay attention to where it slows down and where it speeds up...you will find that some areas are really easy to take photos in as the boats slow down (or in some situations even stop). Riding when its really crowded will result in more such opportunities as the boats (particularly in the last two rooms) stack up waiting for unload...You can get great shots of the dog with the keys in this area, as well as the final treasure room. The Auction area is particularly well-lit, so shots here are easier too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom