How to photograph AK Tree of Life?

FrumiousBoojum

Laura22 said:
Here's the result of all my practice:
38601081-M.jpg

Good job!

For further adjustments if you'd like, use at least Photoshop CS (or a newer version of Elements, if it includes the feature [I don't keep up with Elements much to know...]) to adjust the shadows/highlights and midtone contrast. That should help bring out the detail that's hidden in the shadows of the tree.

PhotoDave219

FrumiousBoojum said:
Good job!

For further adjustments if you'd like, use at least Photoshop CS (or a newer version of Elements, if it includes the feature [I don't keep up with Elements much to know...]) to adjust the shadows/highlights and midtone contrast. That should help bring out the detail that's hidden in the shadows of the tree.

I prefer just using the curves to accomplish the same effect. Personally, i like harsh shadows.... I try to have to do as little in photoshop as possible. I like all my tricks to be real....

And Laura... good job on that. That was probably 1/1000 at f/8 at ISO 200. (Or thats the proper exposure for bright sunlight... sunny f/16 rule.)

FrumiousBoojum

PhotoDave219 said:
I prefer just using the curves to accomplish the same effect. Personally, i like harsh shadows.... I try to have to do as little in photoshop as possible. I like all my tricks to be real....

Photoshop... a million ways to do just about everything the same. :)

As for me, I just find I have a little more ease of control doing it through the shadows/highlights dialogue. I did a test to see about what it might look like and it is a bit preferable for me since the tree is so detailed to tone down the shadows. (Plus maxing out the colour correction a bit is a good quick way to give this photo the look of the colour Disneyland photos of the 50s. :) )

I agree that it's best to do as little in photoshop as possible -- it's basically based on slide film technology, so it should be looked at in a slide film way. However, photoshop just needs to be looked at as the alternative to the darkroom whenever possible when doing digital -- it's the difference between letting a lab do your prints and making your own prints.

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
PhotoDave219 said:

And Laura... good job on that. That was probably 1/1000 at f/8 at ISO 200. (Or thats the proper exposure for bright sunlight... sunny f/16 rule.)

Let's see if Dave was right.....looking up exif info....

1/250 - f/9 - ISO 100. A little off, but I still think you're smart. :lol:

As for photoshop - if I take the time to take the picture correctly I usually don't need to photoshop it afterwards. On this vacation instead of just snapping away I really thought about what I was doing and set the camera correctly. Out of over 800 photos I think I only ended up adjusting about 50 of them later on. Normally when I just point and shoot I have to adjust about 90% of my photos!

There's one thing that I'm still having trouble with. For the life of me I cannot get a non-blurry photo of Spaceship Earth at night from across the lagoon (without a tripod). I can take good night photos of almost anything else, but I always get blurry shots of SSE. I always sit down on the ground and set the camera on the railing and hold it as steady as possible, but I just can't do it. It doesn't help that the bottom of my camera isn't straight, so by setting it on a railing it makes the photos slope down. http://lauramichelle.smugmug.com/photos/38752597-M.jpg Too bad I don't have a World Showcase Lagoon in my backyard to practice with.

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
FrumiousBoojum said:
As for me, I just find I have a little more ease of control doing it through the shadows/highlights dialogue. I did a test to see about what it might look like and it is a bit preferable for me since the tree is so detailed to tone down the shadows. (Plus maxing out the colour correction a bit is a good quick way to give this photo the look of the colour Disneyland photos of the 50s. :) )

Can I see the end result? I make a living using photoshop and I like to learn new tricks.

FrumiousBoojum

Laura22 said:
Can I see the end result? I make a living using photoshop and I like to learn new tricks.

You meaning the end results with the shadow/highlight correction or the 50s print way that I was speaking of?

Here's the 50s print style that I was speaking of:

treeoflife.jpg

Here are the values I used in the advanced Shadow/Highlights dialogue:

Shadows:
Amount: 75%
Tonal Width: 58%
Radius: 54px

Highlights:
Amount: 62%
Tonal Width: 42%
Radius: 152px

Adjustments:
Color Correction: +100
Midtone Contrast: +20
Black Clip: 1%
White Clip: 0.01%

That'll give you an approximation of the 50s style magazine print with all the extreme, unnatural colours and the like. More photos and a bit of aging process and you should be just about ready to make a circa 1955 guide to DKA. :)

Now, as for creating a more natural look, everything but the Color Correction should be about fine (adjust to your liking). However, I do find the color to be a bit dull when this is done, so come colour adustments might be necessary (though I don't suggest using Color Correction for this case as it does produce a more extreme color even at the slightest adjustment than you'd probably like).

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you! Yes, that is what I was hoping you'd show me. I didn't know quite what you meant by the 50's Disneyland photos. Pretty neat! :)

PhotoDave219

Ehhh Too much shadows brough out for my taste... i rarely go over 10% ..... I do very little post beyond levels, curves, unsharp mask & satuuration....

PhotoDave219

Laura22 said:
Let's see if Dave was right.....looking up exif info....

1/250 - f/9 - ISO 100. A little off, but I still think you're smart. :lol:

I forgot you had a polarizer on... You take it down two stops..... and thats the right exposure. Tho Canon's exposure is a little hot when compared to film....

Sunny f/16 rule.... at 100 is 1/100 at f/16 (125 to make life easier) ..... 250 @ 11... 500 @ 8. Throw on the polarizer, thats back down to about 125 at 8.... Ehhh im thinking too much.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom