How to become a Disney travel agent?

woverbay11

I am a stay at home dad and my youngest will be starting Kindergarten in July so I will have a lot more time on my hands. I have always loved planning vacations and absolutely love Disney World. We are DVC members and try to go at least every year. So I figured what better to do than to use my love for Disney to help others enjoy the most magical place on earth. Can anyone give me any tips on where to start?

Thanks!

SoupBone

Almost 10 years for me and couldnt be happier with the agency I am in and the people I work with. Marie

I'm just curious beyond the trip discount benefits, what kind of salaries are people earning? With the internet and Google stronger than ever, do you guys feel the pinch because of the mass access to free trip booking information? I love Disney, know way too much about park operations, logistics, and how to do a vacation the right way (obviously this is relative), but I'd be afraid that your income stream is too volatile.

I see that some people do it as a part time job, but do full time people make good salaries?

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Travel agents are making a comeback! Too many people are overwhelmed by all of the Internet info and have been running to agents for their expertise, even happily paying them fees for their consulting time.

It can be rough when first starting, but it's been my experience that many will increase their yearly commission by almost double year over year.

It's mainly a commission only job, not salaried, ie like a real estate agent.

Access to information isn't the main reason to use an agent vs the Internet - it's the service that the agent provides to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Joe For the most part I agree with you, but the information thing is true as well. In most cases if you are searching for information on a specific item on the Internet, you will get overwhelmed with answers and many of them are conflicting or confusing. To have one point of contact whose information is clear, concise ( sort of, I do tend to write a lot!!) and reliable is a great thing. And as we dont charge our clients any fees, this is a great deal for anyone!!! Marie

Upvote 0

SoupBone

Joe For the most part I agree with you, but the information thing is true as well. In most cases if you are searching for information on a specific item on the Internet, you will get overwhelmed with answers and many of them are conflicting or confusing. To have one point of contact whose information is clear, concise ( sort of, I do tend to write a lot!!) and reliable is a great thing. And as we dont charge our clients any fees, this is a great deal for anyone!!! Marie

I guess I don't understand the compensation side of it then. If you're not charging people, is Disney paying you a percentage of each trip that you book (or your company by proxy)?

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I guess I don't understand the compensation side of it then. If you're not charging people, is Disney paying you a percentage of each trip that you book (or your company by proxy)?
The agency is paid a commission by Disney and by many other travel suppliers. The agents receive a percentage split of that commission and the agency keeps the rest.

Many agencies will charge fees when they aren't getting paid a commission, for example, when assisting a client with arranging airfare, since airlines stopped paying us commission many years ago. Some of my team charge a fee when we have clients asking us to help them with their trip but the trip was booked by the client directly with Disney (especially if we cannot transfer it to our agency); we've even had DVC members pay us for helping them with their trips. Others charge fees for helping plan a large destination wedding. It varies greatly.

The decision to charge a professional service fee is made by each agency and their business model and what services they offer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SoupBone

The agency is paid a commission by Disney and by many other travel suppliers. The agents receive a percentage split of that commission and the agency keeps the rest.

Many agencies will charge fees when they aren't getting paid a commission, for example, when assisting a client with arranging airfare, since airlines stopped paying us commission many years ago. Some of my team charge a fee when we have clients asking us to help them with their trip but the trip was booked by the client directly with Disney (especially if we cannot transfer it to our agency); we've even had DVC members pay us for helping them with their trips. Others charge fees for helping plan a large destination wedding. It varies greatly.

The decision to charge a professional service fee is made by each agency and their business model and what services they offer.

Ahhh gotcha. I understand the split commission reimbursement system, makes sense. Thanks.

Upvote 0

James J

In the Parks
No
This is something I'd love to do part-time, especially as my main job involves booking business trips all over the world so I'm familiar with organising hectic schedules, and my Disney World knowledge is only growing bigger!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey there CW!!!! I will try to pinch hit for my Boss since she is off enjoying her Disney Cruise. A love of Disney and people certainly does help, but remember this is a job, where you will be expected to work, put in time to planning other people's trips, answering questions, doing paperwork and being the go to person for all of your client's needs. It is a fun job most of the time, but like everything good, does require effort. As far as training for a travel agent, Pam said it best here from this thread "Some start by getting a little experience by taking courses on the travel institute online and taking their TAP exam, others contact agencies directly with their resume and travel experiences." I have found personal experience is the best as once you have experience in a particular destination talking someone else through it is easy. This could be an issue if you are looking for a job with an immediate or steady source of income, as most agencies do hire agents on a commission only basis so your income may be delayed until the trips you book are taken and may not be the same amount in each check as it would depend on the number of vacations for a particular time frame that were booked. Frequently this will vary and may not be a tremendous number until you build up a clientele. I hope this information is helpful and does at least encourage you to look into this path further. It is a great job and I love what I do and it can be very rewarding, but as long as you are comfortable with the realities of the position as well. Best of luck!! Marie

Upvote 0
Hi wannabeBelle, thank you so much for that information and advice. I think I am at a good point in my life to get started in becoming a travel agent: I am a hard worker (I've got six kids, so the hard work comes with the territory LOL), I have a very supportive husband, and right now we are very comfortable with my husband's income, so I have no need to make money right away. This is more of a career decision for me; I greatly desire to travel more and help those who want to do so as well, I love Disney, I am pretty darned organized (again, those six kiddos have forced me to learn!), and I want to have something established as they grow up.

Would it be okay if I private messaged you? I am new to the board and so I am not sure how to do that, but I'll figure it out.

Thanks,
Kelly

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Hi wannabeBelle, thank you so much for that information and advice. I think I am at a good point in my life to get started in becoming a travel agent: I am a hard worker (I've got six kids, so the hard work comes with the territory LOL), I have a very supportive husband, and right now we are very comfortable with my husband's income, so I have no need to make money right away. This is more of a career decision for me; I greatly desire to travel more and help those who want to do so as well, I love Disney, I am pretty darned organized (again, those six kiddos have forced me to learn!), and I want to have something established as they grow up.

Would it be okay if I private messaged you? I am new to the board and so I am not sure how to do that, but I'll figure it out.

Thanks,
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I am back in the office now if you want to email me directly. Thank you @Master Yoda and @wannabeBelle for helping me out.

Pam

Upvote 0

Elana Clifton

Hello everyone,

I am very interested in being a home based Travel Agent/Independent Contractor. I recently purchased materials through The Travel Institute;Get Started with TRIPKit: Home Based Edition ,and I will take and pass the TAP test (fingers crossed). I have an Attorney, Accountant, and Graphic Designer ( my father, so that part is free). I have a home office that is already equipped with most of the things that I think I will need, although my husband would like to redecorate it for me. I am going to take a business writing course so I can communicate better in writing and in emails. I am also interested in taking classes to learn Spanish. I am in the process of researching Host Agencies, and needless to say I am confused by them.

I am interested in specializing in Family All-Inclusive Vacations (I love Mexico) , Cruises, and Disney.

I have been in Healthcare for twenty years and am looking for a change. I currently work one day a week, so I have the time to put into this. I do not have sales experience, but I do have excellent customer service training and skills. We have multiple training sessions a year in Healthcare for customer service.

I have an appointment with a local Agency . They are in the beginning stages of implementing a Home Agent/Independent Contractor Program. The purpose of the meeting is to assess my strengths and weaknesses pertaining to travel experience and sales experience. Again, I do not have sales experience. I have traveled to many of the U.S. States, Canada, Jamaica, Greece, and Mexico. I have not been on a Cruise, but it is on my bucket list. My husband, children, and I love to travel!

I really want some feedback to see if I'm on the right track to start in the Travel and Tourism Industry. What do you all think? Comments, suggestions, questions ,and constructive criticism are welcome.

Thank you so much! I am really excited about this!

Elana Clifton
elanaclifton@outlook.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Hello everyone,

I am very interested in being a home based Travel Agent/Independent Contractor. I recently purchased materials through The Travel Institute;Get Started with TRIPKit: Home Based Edition ,and I will take and pass the TAP test (fingers crossed). I have an Attorney, Accountant, and Graphic Designer ( my father, so that part is free). I have a home office that is already equipped with most of the things that I think I will need, although my husband would like to redecorate it for me. I am going to take a business writing course so I can communicate better in writing and in emails. I am also interested in taking classes to learn Spanish. I am in the process of researching Host Agencies, and needless to say I am confused by them.

Ok my first question is why do you need to have an attorney, accountant and graphic designer if you are looking to work as an agent? Second is why are you looking for a host? Keep in mind that a host agency is there if you have your own agency and then you work under them using their credentials. Also keep in mind that a host agency cannot earn the designation of Authorized Disney Vacation Planner (an Earmarked agency). I would go for a regular agency that specializes in Disney Travel.

I am interested in specializing in Family All-Inclusive Vacations (I love Mexico) , Cruises, and Disney.
Many agencies such as my own do book other destinations including every cruise line, so check to see whatever agency you decide to go with does sell other destinations.

I have an appointment with a local Agency . They are in the beginning stages of implementing a Home Agent/Independent Contractor Program. The purpose of the meeting is to assess my strengths and weaknesses pertaining to travel experience and sales experience. Again, I do not have sales experience. I have traveled to many of the U.S. States, Canada, Jamaica, Greece, and Mexico. I have not been on a Cruise, but it is on my bucket list. My husband, children, and I love to travel!

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Upvote 0

Elana Clifton

Kingdom Konsultant,

I would like to use my Attorney to file for my LLC and go through any contract I may have to sign . Just to be safe. I have an Accountant that does my personal taxes and I'd like him to eventually do my business taxes. I would also like to discuss with him the things I can deduct for business purposes and what records I need to keep. Just to be on the safe side. I have a Graphic Designer(my father) to help with my company name, business cards, and web sight.

I just received my study materials today. I can't wait to start reading, learning, and studying!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom