How safe is RNC?

bsmartin2000

Original Poster
This may sound silly but how safe is this ride for someone who just barely makes the height requirement? Grandson really wants to do this but he is just 48 inches and I am very nervous about lettering him ride. Thanks for any input.

CAPTAIN HOOK

As long as a person reaches the minimum height requirement (whether barely or exceeds its it by a few feet) then its totally safe. The minimum height restriction is there for a reason - if you don't reach it, don't ride it.

Weather_Lady

It is very safe, with a padded, over-the-shoulder restraint system that is separate for each rider, and offers a much smoother ride than many other WDW coasters, such as Expedition Everest or Space Mountain -- but in my opinion, RnR is MUCH faster, louder and more intense than the other coasters, and would be especially so for a little guy who is just reaching the height requirement (and therefore hasn't been on many coasters before.)

RnR rockets out of its starting point and goes very fast in the dark, with Aerosmith screaming [gorgeously, if you're a fan, which I am] loudly in your ear the entire time. It includes three corkscrew inversions (turning upside down). My son insisted on trying it out on his first trip to WDW. He was 6 years old and 49" tall at the time, and the most intense thing he'd ridden at that point was Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Although my son ended up saying he liked it (with the caveat that "those Smith guys' music is AWFUL!"), it was only after several minutes of stunned silence upon exiting the attraction that he came to that conclusion, and he didn't ask to go on it again. While he's a daredevil, I think RnR, for him, rode the fine line between, "hair-raising excitement" and "horrific psychological trauma." (Still, totally safe -- the restraint system had no trouble keeping my son from bouncing around, even though he just met the height requirement and is super-skinny.)

If you want to let your grandson work up to it gradually (if he hasn't ridden rollercoasters before), I'd suggest a multi-step introdoctory program, beginning with Big Thunder Mountain (to see if he's okay with the general idea) and moving onto Space Mountain (to see if he can handle coasters in the dark); before trying RnR. In the alternative, if he can do Expedition Everest, then he is fully qualified to move directly on to RnR. ;)

bsmartin2000

Original Poster
He has done Big Thunder mountain (loved it) Space Mountain (did not love it). He has not done Everest because this Grammy is afraid of heights! He has his heart set on RnRc because he watched his mom and gram ride 3 times in a row 2 years ago. He said he did not like space mountain because he was falling down in the seat and you can see in our pix he kept his eyes covered. Just don't want to traumatize him . Oh he loves TOT too

12_Ears_Dad

If he is willing to go on it, id say give it a try. Just a warning, this coaster is probably the most "Intense" coaster at WDW as far as speed , inversions, and corkscrews. It will at least give you a bearing on how well he handles more intense rides so you can make a informed decision next time.

On the other hand, if he becomes fearful to go on it, I would never force a child that young that I even remotely thought he didn't really want to go on it...I see this too often at my local amusement park here in Ohio (Cedar Point- Americas Roller Coast) (sorry had to make the plug lol ). I havn't seen it in Disney, however my Disney experience is very limited.

buseegal

if he meets the height he is safe to ride. with each having own harness it is safer because it is to his body not the larger of the people riding. granted not the same but this summer one of my grandsons just made the height for Wild Eagle at Dollywood. he is also very skinny and he did not move in the seat. has ridden many times since and loves it but he is my little coaster nut. he is always late in getting to ride because of being short and skinny

Meredith

Just remember the height requirement is their for a very important reason and Disney makes sure that it is safe, I'm sure the minimum height requirement is not necessarily the bare minimum but Disney wants to be on the safe side so even if he only is a tiny bit taller he still is tall enough and just as safe as someone who is a few feet taller. If he enjoys rollercoaster, very intense rollercoasters I am sure he will love it. With space mountain if he was saying he didn't like falling down in his seat than he shouldn't have a problem with RNRC it is very secure even for someone so small. Trust me;), Have a great time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom