How safe is Disney World

Staunch_Mickey

I have a friend planning a trip to Walt Disney World. But my brother-in-law's cousin told me that children have been kidnapped from the Magic Kingdom.

She said that she heard that the children are taken into the bathroom where their hair is cut and dyed in order to change their appearance, and then they are taken out of the park.

Has anyone else heard of this? Is Disney World safe?

NowInc

Originally posted by tmm7899
Not just the animation staff but a lot of cast members in all the departments.

Well..I was only speaking about what I have personally seen....I have heard about the rest of the parks too..but have never personally seen it there..

Upvote 0

Skipper Timekpr

I agree with Vash this is a bunch of BS. I too have grown up in the parks and have never had anything happen to me or hear about anything of children disaperaring or being kidnaped, the Parks are completely safe and there is no reason to worry. For crying out loud they've been in this business for how long now and nothing has happened.

Upvote 0

James123

Account Suspended
There is good reason to worry about WDW

Originally posted by Skipper Timekpr
I agree with Vash this is a bunch of BS. I too have grown up in the parks and have never had anything happen to me or hear about anything of children disaperaring or being kidnaped, the Parks are completely safe and there is no reason to worry. For crying out loud they've been in this business for how long now and nothing has happened.

I disagree. WDW is a very closed loop. They have their own government, they attempt to keep violent crimes (rapes, robberies, etc.) and ride accidents an in house secret. Local and state law enforcement do not routinely patrol WDW or get reports from WDW. Most security, accident and law enforcement incidents are handled internally. You only hear about the really big incidents. I think it's a very safe place in general but let's not lose sight of the fact that violent crime is a regular customer at WDW too!

Upvote 0

Maria

Re: There is good reason to worry about WDW

Originally posted by James

I disagree. WDW is a very closed loop. They have their own government, they attempt to keep violent crimes (rapes, robberies, etc.) and ride accidents an in house secret. Local and state law enforcement do not routinely patrol WDW or get reports from WDW. Most security, accident and law enforcement incidents are handled internally. You only hear about the really big incidents. I think it's a very safe place in general but let's not lose sight of the fact that violent crime is a regular customer at WDW too!

I agree. Come on guys, not to offend anyone, but it is an amusement park! Things could happen anywhere! You don´t hear about them, because they don´t get out of there! Just practice common sense. It´s a magical place, but it is in the real world! ;)

Upvote 0

Skipper Timekpr

For crying out loud you're making it sound like you're taking a walk through downtown Kabul, yeah they do keep their secrets really well but for goodness sakes no children have ever been kidnapped in the park, rapped, or any other violent crimes like James claims to happen. My father works in security and I know for a fact they do have problems from time to time but at the first sign of trouble they jump in and call in the sheriff. You're safer at WDW then you are going to D.C. or even the airport! So don't give me crud about violent crimes because I know there hasn't been one ever!

Upvote 0

VashtheStampede

Guys, How long have you lived in the orlando area? anyone? I know there are most likely a good bunch of you that have lived in the CFL area for a long time and knows how News and Disney go hand in hand. Disney does not "cover up" crimes. The Orange county Sheriff is always called in for any crime of shop lifting and above. The news always makes a big story when someones dies at Disney or some other major crime happens. AND THOSE THINGS HAVE HAPPENED LESS THAN 10 TIMES IN THE 30 YEARS OF OPERATION.

And Maria- Disney isn't some ringy- "amusement park" it's a mult-billion dollar Theme Park. Security is Number one. The Orange county Sheriff is always on site. Would a criminal really pay 50 bucks to rob someone? come on people just think about this one!

Upvote 0

James123

Account Suspended
Security at WDW

The Disney security staff has a lot of really nice people. They are always willing to put down their newspapers, coffee and donuts to help the public.

Upvote 0

Skipper Timekpr

Obviously you have never had major contact with security at Disney to know how they work! One eating and drinking on-stage is a big no no for cast members in costume of any kind. Second I am personally affended, as my father is a security gaurd at Disney. You obviously have never been to Disney to notice that they aren't some bunch of CP's Disney has recruited, these are retired army, navy, and marine veterans and some are volunteers in the service and if they heard you talk that way about their performance and they weren't in costume they'd come show you what Disney security is all about.

Upvote 0

NowInc

Disney is not some secret underground organization who covers up ANYTHING. For the simple matter of it would be ILLEGAL to do that. I mean seriously....people are so hell bent on being convinced that Disney is Evil.... Even here in Orlando I hear news of incidents at Disney Cali...so you cant tell me that at other places in the world you dont hear of them.

I also tend to agree that for the most part that Disneys Security is 2nd to none. They know how to diffuse a situation with a minimum of violence, and they certainly DO care about the safety of the guests...and not just because it is their job.

The bottom line..Disney is safer than your average mall...I dont ever recall an incident that I have personally witnessed of any wrong doings going on...and I have been going there a LOT my whole life...take it as you will...

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by VashtheStampede

And Maria- Disney isn't some ringy- "amusement park" it's a mult-billion dollar Theme Park. Security is Number one. The Orange county Sheriff is always on site. Would a criminal really pay 50 bucks to rob someone? come on people just think about this one!

Vash, I didn´t mean to demenish(?) Disney Parks by calling them "amusement parks"... they amuse me, so they are amusement parks for me...with a theme in each one and I know they cost a lot of money. I know Security is a big concern in them. I have seen the sheriff patrols backstage too. I´m just saying, and if you read my previous posts, that no matter where you are, people should exercise common sense and not think that just because it is Disney, nothing could go wrong. I´ve seen people getting high in the park and by the time we CM´s told Security, the guys dissapeared in the crowd. Now, just think if one of them decides to molest a kid wandering alone because his parents thought he could do it because it is very safe there. I´m not saying that it has happened...I´m just saying it could happen no matter how good Security is. I am not trying to offend Security guys as I had very good friends among them. But we need to get realistic and not pretend that just because it is Disney, there is a Security guard for each and every one of the daily guests, so guests should not worry about anything. I have been specifically talking about kids´s safety. If I had a young boy and were traveling with him, I wouldn´t leave him alone or unattended just because I am at Disney.
I hope I am making sense to you all.

Upvote 0

NowInc

Originally posted by Maria

Vash, I didn´t mean to demenish(?) Disney Parks by calling them "amusement parks"... they amuse me, so they are amusement parks for me...with a theme in each one and I know they cost a lot of money. I know Security is a big concern in them. I have seen the sheriff patrols backstage too. I´m just saying, and if you read my previous posts, that no matter where you are, people should exercise common sense and not think that just because it is Disney, nothing could go wrong. I´ve seen people getting high in the park and by the time we CM´s told Security, the guys dissapeared in the crowd. Now, just think if one of them decides to molest a kid wandering alone because his parents thought he could do it because it is very safe there. I´m not saying that it has happened...I´m just saying it could happen no matter how good Security is. I am not trying to offend Security guys as I had very good friends among them. But we need to get realistic and not pretend that just because it is Disney, there is a Security guard for each and every one of the daily guests, so guests should not worry about anything. I have been specifically talking about kids´s safety. If I had a young boy and were traveling with him, I wouldn´t leave him alone or unattended just because I am at Disney.
I hope I am making sense to you all.

I agree with you Maria in the sence that it would be foolish to assume that NOTHING can happen at Disney. Yes..it is the happiest place on earth..but it is also a havan for thieves and criminals (ask anyone who has ever had a camera stolen how helpfull security is about getting it back)....overall I would say that the security does a GREAT job there...but you have to be realistic...this isnt Eden...it is Disney...

Upvote 0

tmm7899

I remember an incident last spring at one of the resorts. Although it was not Disney's fault. The parents left the little girl unattended in the hotel room. A person came to the door and acted like a Disney security guard. Do you guys remember hearing about that? It was a couple of days from when it happened to when it made it to the news. If I remember correctly it was in March. I also think that the parents were charged with neglagence for leaving the girl alone.
I agree with everybody else especially you Maria that you need to have common sence and do not put your child in the position to have anything bad happen. I am not saying that Disney is not safe though I have always felt safe there and I have never had a problem.

Upvote 0

Scooter

I remember reading somewhere on this discussion board where someone, on a regular basis, drives onto Disney Property and has POOL-Hopped at almost every resort. If I understood it correctly, that person was NOT staying at a Disney Resort but got access to the resort Pools with little or NO problems.

I was a little upset when I read it because I thought (1) I pay BIG bucks to use these pools when I stay at the Resorts and HE gets to use them for FREE and (2) Whats to stop some DEMENTED PSYCHO from coming onto the property and harming or kidnapping someone?

While it's true I don't think too many Criminals would spend 50 bucks to get into the parks to hurt anyone, I DO watch my children and belongings closely at the resorts. I don't want any of these chuckleheads attempting to hurt MY family or take MY stuff.:mad:

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by Scooter

While it's true I don't think too many Criminals would spend 50 bucks to get into the parks to hurt anyone, I DO watch my children and belongings closely at the resorts. I don't want any of these chuckleheads attempting to hurt MY family or take MY stuff.:mad:

I´m probably going to regret posting this, but this was a personal experience...

There was an annual passholder who used to go to the park every day when I worked there. The guy wouldn´t leave my group alone, specially one of my friends. He even found out when she had the day off and followed her to whichever location she worked at. He was a "cute old man" to everyone´s eyes... To make the story short, she reported him to Security who took notes, filled up a report which we signed too, and made contact with him. The guy was warned and whenever he got into the park he was closely followed and couldn´t get close to her again. He behaved then... thanks to Security. ;) I guess that one could pay more than $50 to have some fun... ;)

.....and I did feel safe in the parks! :)

Upvote 0

NowInc

I remember reading somewhere on this discussion board where someone, on a regular basis, drives onto Disney Property and has POOL-Hopped at almost every resort. If I understood it correctly, that person was NOT staying at a Disney Resort but got access to the resort Pools with little or NO problems.

I was a little upset when I read it because I thought (1) I pay BIG bucks to use these pools when I stay at the Resorts and HE gets to use them for FREE and (2) Whats to stop some DEMENTED PSYCHO from coming onto the property and harming or kidnapping someone?

I used to do that...its REALLLLLLLLY easy to get into resorts and go swimming...especialyl after 10pm when theres no one monitoring you...

Upvote 0

woofboy111

I hate to admit it, but I pool hopped once or twice, but only when someone that I knew was staying at a disney hotel. But, then again, what do the pools have to do with it? Someone could just go and say that they are going to eat dinner or look around, and they would let the person in with no problem. Also, a person could also park somewhere like downtown disney and take a bus or boat straight into a hotel and steal some stuff, so theres not much stopping people.

They did start a new thing that in order to get into a hotel, you must show photo id. I'm not sure the reason, but this is their new thing.

Upvote 0

NowInc

Originally posted by woofboy111

I hate to admit it, but I pool hopped once or twice, but only when someone that I knew was staying at a disney hotel. But, then again, what do the pools have to do with it? Someone could just go and say that they are going to eat dinner or look around, and they would let the person in with no problem. Also, a person could also park somewhere like downtown disney and take a bus or boat straight into a hotel and steal some stuff, so theres not much stopping people.

They did start a new thing that in order to get into a hotel, you must show photo id. I'm not sure the reason, but this is their new thing.

The Downtown disney trick was my old method of getting into the parks as well without paying the annoying fee....you would be suprised at the amount of people who do that...same goes for the pool hoppers...its just too easy...

Tho you have to realize..it is not just Disney where this goes on..EVERY hotel has an easy acess pool...its just more fun doing it at "The world"...

Upvote 0

James123

Account Suspended
No Harm Intended

Originally posted by Skipper Timekpr
Obviously you have never had major contact with security at Disney to know how they work! One eating and drinking on-stage is a big no no for cast members in costume of any kind. Second I am personally affended, as my father is a security gaurd at Disney. You obviously have never been to Disney to notice that they aren't some bunch of CP's Disney has recruited, these are retired army, navy, and marine veterans and some are volunteers in the service and if they heard you talk that way about their performance and they weren't in costume they'd come show you what Disney security is all about.

Hi there Skipper Timekpr! I apologize for the remark and am sorry that you were offended. Actually, I heard this remark made by a Disney CM several years ago. We were leaving Epcot and riding back to our car in that transportation jitney that WDW provides. As were ran the route the CM on the back of the jitney made the following announcement, "When you return to your car, if you find you have locked your keys inside then please contact a member of our security staff. They will be happy to put down their newspapers, coffee and donuts to assist you." I thought is was very funny. Similar to the popular bumper sticker, "Bad Cop, No Donut!". It's just a joke and I'm sorry you did not realize my intention was humor and not harm. Ok?

Upvote 0

VashtheStampede

tmm7899 - that incident you remember didn't happen at a Disney hotel, but a hotel on 192. That happened a little over a year ago when the 192 area hotels were having a lot of break ins.

Upvote 0

MrPromey

Re: There is good reason to worry about WDW

Originally posted by James

Most security, accident and law enforcement incidents are handled internally. You only hear about the really big incidents.

This is flat out false. Disney has no control over police records. Any incident which is serious enough to require law enforcement or emergency rescue teams/paramedics has a place in public record. Do we hear about every sprained ankle or shoplifter? No because that can be handled by their own first aid or private security but anything serious is out of their hands, totally. So what constitutes a "really big" incident in your mind?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom