How old are your oldest videos from WDW?

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
Yesterday we watched the oldest video I ever videotaped, and it was from January 1991. It was the camcorder of my late father in those days, because I was still a high school student then and could not afford my own one. He borrowed me his one because I travelled to the US and for the first time ever I wanted to videotape the WORLD. The video is 1 hr. 44 min (my WDW videos from 21st century are between 7 and 16 hrs - really!) and 1 hr. 35 min show WDW. Because we stayed off property then, it shows only the THREE parks which were existing and no resorts. It was like time travelling, we saw Horizons and WoM, UoE, the Living Seas without Nemo and friends, Gran Fiesta Tour, Communicore, the original Illuminations "Tapestry of nations" a Dick Tracy stage show in the Disney MGM studios (can you believe this, such a bad movie...at least we were spared from Dick Tracy crime stoppers or how that ride was to be called). In the MK there was still an uncongested AL plaza ( bcs the stupid carpets were not there yet) with a barker bird at the Tiki Room, the JC skippers were not yelling but shooting, the 20.00 LutS subs were filmed from the Skyway, high above, we had a REALLY frightening bride in the attic of the HM (which was about everything you could see because of the very poor low light quality in those days) and there was still a Mission to Mars and a Dreamflight in TL. Sadly I didn't film everything because we only stayed in WDW for three days ( can you imagine this? ONLY THREE DAYS) and I missed quite a lot (Mr. Toad, 20.000 LutS etc) but still I am very happy to have this video.
How old are YOUR OLDEST videos ( or even home movies from the 70ies?) from WDW. How often do you watch them and what memories to they bring back, concerning old and long gone attractions?

Last edited:

belledream

My dad has been going through all our old tapes and converting them to DVDs to preserve them. I absolutely LOVE watching them. The oldest is from when I was 5 (1995) on my first trip to Disney. Mainly of me on Dumbo when it was in the 'old' Fantasyland. It's surreal to see little me enjoying the 'Blue Ride' as much as I currently do, and also recordings of Meet & Greets with Cinderella at the France fountain...and randomly...Barbie.

I especially enjoy watching subsequent videos from when my little brother joined the party...he's just so adorable and it watching us play in our hotel room while my makes my heart burst. Not so much an attraction...but the strollers sure looked different back then. What looks the same? Mickey ice cream bars. :D

SteveAZee

My first video was 1990. Lots of video in the three parks plus some of the Contemporary and cruising around on the speedboats. I probably pull that video up (I've since moved all old pics and videos to digital and are on my computer) every couple of months... there are lots of little tidbits from the Adventurer's Club, dining in the castle, etc that I enjoy re-watching. There were a lot of 'firsts' in the video, like eating at 50's Primetime and pretty much everything at Disney/MGM.

75disney

Our WDW videos go all the way back to 1975. It is cool to see the MK uncrowded, the characters roaming freely, the Bicentennial Parade, the swan boats, our outfits. Since we went every year as kids and my dad always had a video camer of some kind, we have a video history from 1975-late 1990s. Once we all grew up, my dad stopped taking videos although he moved to Florida in 2010 and goes to the parks once a week. For Christmas, a few years ago we converted the really old films to DVD and he has been converting the VHS over to DVD.

graphite1326

Never took one. I don't take pictures anymore either. I found it takes too much time away from what I am doing and I don't enjoy it as much.

Eddie Garrison

You get both, VHS and Beta VCRs, at eBay.

Let me rephrase that ... I don't want to know where to get a VCR.

Just need to get them transferred over to digital format so they will last a lot longer than on a tape. All of our movies, TV shows, etc. we watch have been converted over to digital and stored on external hard drives.

Rumrunner

Yesterday we watched the oldest video I ever videotaped, and it was from January 1991. It was the camcorder of my late father in those days, because I was still a high school student then and could not afford my own one. He borrowed me his one because I travelled to the US and for the first time ever I wanted to videotape the WORLD. The video is 1 hr. 44 min (my WDW videos from 21st century are between 7 and 16 hrs - really!) and 1 hr. 35 min show WDW. Because we stayed off property then, it shows only the THREE parks which were existing and no resorts. It was like time travelling, we saw Horizons and WoM, UoE, the Living Seas without Nemo and friends, Gran Fiesta Tour, Communicore, the original Illuminations "Tapestry of nations" a **** Tracy stage show in the Disney MGM studios (can you believe this, such a bad movie...at least we were spared from **** Tracy crime stoppers or how that ride was to be called). In the MK there was still an uncongested AL plaza ( bcs the stupid carpets were not there yet) with a barker bird at the Tiki Room, the JC skippers were not yelling but shooting, the 20.00 LutS subs were filmed from the Skyway, high above, we had a REALLY frightening bride in the attic of the HM (which was about everything you could see because of the very poor low light quality in those days) and there was still a Mission to Mars and a Dreamflight in TL. Sadly I didn't film everything because we only stayed in WDW for three days ( can you imagine this? ONLY THREE DAYS) and I missed quite a lot (Mr. Toad, 20.000 LutS etc) but still I am very happy to have this video.
How old are YOUR OLDEST videos ( or even home movies from the 70ies?) from WDW. How often do you watch them and what memories to they bring back, concerning old and long gone attractions?
Really dating myself but have "moving pictures" of my oldest son from the years 1975 and again in 1976. It was pure excitement then as it is now when we take our grandchildren.

Susan Savia

1984 was our first trip to WDW. My husband videoed Everything, even many of the shows... Captain EO, COP etc. I particularly love watching the long gone Horizons and World of Transportation. Chip and Dale played with my one year old daughter on Main Street. We visited the parks every year (and still do) so we have a lot of videos. We pull out the old video tapes every now and then.

DisneyPrincess5

It's funny...my family was never great about taking video while at Disney. Photos, yes but video, not really.
My parents took lots of video (which is on a likely by now decrepit VHS set of tapes) in 1990, there are floppy disks of video that exist from another 90s trip, and some other forms of tape from 2003-2004 New Years trip. That's it from all 16 of my trips. And I can't watch any unless I have them converted! I do enjoy watching old videos on YouTube.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I've got some from 1981 and 1982. I've also got one from 1987. The first two were shot on one of those old silent cameras and the one from 1987 was shot on one of those big cameras you had to wear on your shoulder. It has an almost complete ride through of Small World. You also see the Skyway in the background and it has me doing a meet and greet with a ton of characters during a show they would do in the Castle Courtyard where the characters would come down for a meet and greet at the end. I wish my dad had shot more really.

JIMINYCR

We have tons of photos of our first trip in 95 because then we didnt have the extra money to spend on a video camera, and I think I remember the cameras back then were fairly large and I didnt want to haul one around. Later on we invested in a video camera when they were much smaller and more feasible to take along.

OliveMcFly

The oldest that I remember seeing is August of 1990. Footage of my brothers wrecking the pineapple stamp in the ash trays at Polynesian and constantly getting shots of their new Bo Jackson shoes. There's also footage of the Empress Lilly character meal and the Odyssey restaurant show.

mitchk

Mine is from 87' my first trip, my grandfather always had a camcorder on him. We watch the videos every now and then. It's crazy how much has changed

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom